Torch Lighter Cleaning

Started by MacMac, 12/03/2015 08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacMac

My torch lighter had been giving me a fit. I knew it was full and that I had let air out before filling, but the thing would not light consistently. Click, Click, Click.....nothing but a quick flame on then off.  So, let all the butane out and tried again....no better.
I decided to try and clean the thing. I got a can of compressed air, a Q-Tip and some rubbing alcohol. I used the Q-Tip to rub the alcohol all around the torch ignition point and the holds where the butane exits the lighter. I used the compressed air to blow out any particles and to dry the alcohol. I refilled the lighter with butane and IGNITION!!  The lighter is working like brand new!

I thought I'd share my experience and also ask if there's a better way to clean a torch lighter.

Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

millarddj

I hadn't thought of using compressed air. This is the exact problem I've been having with my triple jet Colibri, so I am now eager to repeat your cleaning process. Thanks for the prompt and tip, and I'm also interested to hear if anyone has further suggestions.
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

ninfiction

Never had to really clean mine. I do a full purge in between each fill though. I've also heard that Xikar butane is much cleaner than your regular butane so I only use Xikar...but I'm no scientist.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

millarddj

That's something I wasn't even aware of - I'm using a leftover bottle of my brother's butane, and I doubt it's high quality. I wasn't even aware there was cleaner/purer butane out there. Why does it seem like every time I think I'm set for a while, there's something more to buy for the cigar hobby? :?:
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

Jackal

You should really only use 3X or better distilled butane.  Anything else could have residues/ particulates that could jam up the small apertures in your lighter.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

MacMac

I have a Xikar lighter, but I'm using butane that I picked up from Walmart. That may be some of the problem, but the cleaning sure but the lighter back in great working condition.

gitfiddl

The dimestore Zippo/Ronson butane is crap and has caused me fits over the years.  I've had no issues with Xikar or Jetline butane.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

MacMac

Quotegitfiddl - 12/3/2015  1:22 PM

The dimestore Zippo/Ronson butane is crap and has caused me fits over the years.  I've had no issues with Xikar or Jetline butane.

I'll be sure to try a better butane.

Cfickter

QuoteJackal - 12/3/2015  11:47 AM  You should really only use 3X or better distilled butane.  Anything else could have residues/ particulates that could jam up the small apertures in your lighter.

:word: you can get 5X filtered also

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

gitfiddl

QuoteCfickter - 12/3/2015  1:55 PM

QuoteJackal - 12/3/2015  11:47 AM  You should really only use 3X or better distilled butane.  Anything else could have residues/ particulates that could jam up the small apertures in your lighter.

:word: you can get 5X filtered also

or 14X...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSVZVVW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Jackal

Beyond 3X you are really seeing diminishing returns.  Beyond 5X there will be no appreciable gain in cleanliness.  The only people who would be needing 10X and above are those who are using it for performing extractions.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

appollo

I have the same issues with my lighter.. the tips here I have to try I believe will cure the issues.Thanks :thumbsup:

DonM

I have been using JetLine butane 5X refined for years with no fuel issues at all.  That is all I have available here @ the local B & M  

I did run out of butane last month in Daytona Beach and bought a can of Ronson in a pinch.  Full can and it will sit on the shelf

Thanks for the tip on cleaning a lighter, will try it when the situation arises

"The Curmudgeon"

Ken Kelley

My lighter never gives me any problems at all using any quality of propane I can find! :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Camshaft83

I use 5x Power Super Refined Butane for my lighter and have never had a problem. You can get 4 300 ml cans for 16 bucks on amazon.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

nirab

I use nothing but Xikar butane. I also top off my lighter after a few uses, instead of letting it run out. No problems at all...now watch, it won't work tonight!!  :shy:  :biggrin:  :lmao:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Mojo66

I use Xikar butane as well and clean the lighters once in a while with air from my 30 gallon compressor. They all work like a charm
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

C130Driver

I'm still on my first bottle of cheap walmart s**t I got at Walmart before I realized there were differences in quality. To be honest I've been wondering if the differences are real or negligible but it sounds like you all are pretty convinced huh?
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

McBryde

I guess I need to give this a try, I just thought it was the crappy cheap lighter I had, LOL.

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

toby2

i used to use Xikar now i use Vector 14x and still have issues from time to time. a bottle of contact cleaner works well enough. my next lighter will be a Vector. even the brand new Xikar i just bought lights when it wants to.

MacMac

I figure its like most things that use fuel...they most be cleaned at least occasionally it. I can't think of anything I have that uses fuel that doesn't need some maintenance from time time...because it burns fuel.

C130Driver

QuoteMacMac - 12/7/2015  9:44 AM

I figure its like most things that use fuel...they most be cleaned at least occasionally it. I can't think of anything I have that uses fuel that doesn't need some maintenance from time time...because it burns fuel.

While this seems obvious, it's a good point I hadn't previously considered.
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

MacMac

My torch is truly amazing after cleaning it! However, I am definitely going to try a better brand of fuel.

MacMac

My torch is truly amazing after cleaning it! However, I am definitely going to try a better brand of fuel.

plnortham

I use "Lucienne".  So far it seems like a pretty good butane.  I was told that butane does have impurities in it.  I was also told that what I use is some of the best stuff with almost no impurities.  All butane is not created equally!  Ha!
Phil Northam

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." ~Mark Twain

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." ~W.C. Fields

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.