Whiskey? Scotch? Updated.

Started by Joelala, 12/07/2015 03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kuke

Glenmorangie Original 1.75 for $70 at Total wine.  Very good single malt at a great price.

plnortham

Just about anything with a "The Glenlivet" label on it is gonna suit you well.  The cheapest you'll find is about $40 a bottle.  Give or take $5.  My favorite from their line so far is called, "Founder's Reserve".  Has a very slight sweet taste on the forefront, followed by the smokey scotch flavor we all know and love.  Be careful though, you can spend upwards of $100 on a bottle if you get the right stuff.  Enjoy!
Phil Northam

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." ~Mark Twain

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." ~W.C. Fields

Joelala

So I tried a few of these the past week or so and I just bought a bottle of Mac 12. I liked the glenlivit 12 I tried. I also tried a glenmarangie.

What about something more reasonably priced. Say 30-35?

I do have that four roses on my list to try as well.
Joe

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

bstessl

Closest to me for Eagle Rare - 22 miles.  Ancient Age - 35 miles... lol. I guess I'll have to remember to look next time out in the city or parts west...
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

plnortham

QuoteJoelala - 12/11/2015  9:31 PM

So I tried a few of these the past week or so and I just bought a bottle of Mac 12. I liked the glenlivit 12 I tried. I also tried a glenmarangie.

Glad you liked The Glenlivet 12 Year.  Its one of my favorite "go-to's".  If you're looking to be around 30-35, you'll need to be careful as when you get into bourbons at that price point, you're potentially getting a "mixed" bourbon.  Meaning they take different types of bourbon and mix them together to sell for cheaper.  I will say though, that some of those "mixed" bourbons aren't bad.  

As far as recommendations.  I can't help you bud.  I'm not really sure of any bourbons in that price point.  All the ones I could recommend start around 40.  I say that, but you might be able to get a bottle of Makers or Jim Beam for that price.  Quality isn't as good in my opinion though.  

Hope you find what you're looking for!  Keep us posted!
Phil Northam

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." ~Mark Twain

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." ~W.C. Fields

Joelala

Quoteplnortham - 12/16/2015  2:15 PM

Glad you liked The Glenlivet 12 Year.  Its one of my favorite "go-to's".  If you're looking to be around 30-35, you'll need to be careful as when you get into bourbons at that price point, you're potentially getting a "mixed" bourbon.  Meaning they take different types of bourbon and mix them together to sell for cheaper.  I will say though, that some of those "mixed" bourbons aren't bad.  

As far as recommendations.  I can't help you bud.  I'm not really sure of any bourbons in that price point.  All the ones I could recommend start around 40.  I say that, but you might be able to get a bottle of Makers or Jim Beam for that price.  Quality isn't as good in my opinion though.  

Yeah I prefer to stay away from beam and makers if possible. This is great information.

Any thoughts from anyone on Whiskey Stones? I have heard the Ice Ball Cube is the way to go and I actually have that already so might just stick with it.
Joe

plnortham

QuoteJoelala - 12/15/2015  3:51 PM

Yeah I prefer to stay away from beam and makers if possible. This is great information.

Any thoughts from anyone on Whiskey Stones? I have heard the Ice Ball Cube is the way to go and I actually have that already so might just stick with it.

I may not know as much about cigars, but I can def help in the bourbon and scotch arena.  

Regarding the stones vs. whiskey ball, it all depends on what flavor you're going for.  Ive used both and I prefer the whiskey balls.  If you like it "cold" but not diluted, a more "pure" flavor, stones are the way to go.  If you like it cold and you like a change in the flavor (from being watered down obviously) the more you drink it, stick with the balls.  Thats about the only difference you'll find really.  One other thing I noticed about the stones is, it doesn't get as cold as real ice, which is a draw back for me.  So, if you like it cold at all, just stick with the balls.  

If you ever get a hold of some "The Glenlivet: Nadurra", stay away from the balls.  Use stones to make it "cold".  At about $100 a bottle, thats a flavor that you don't want to dilute, nor do you need to.  One of the smoothest scotches I've ever had.  

Cheers!!!
Phil Northam

nirab

Quoteplnortham - 12/16/2015  4:21 PM

QuoteJoelala - 12/15/2015  3:51 PM

I may not know as much about cigars, but I can def help in the bourbon and scotch arena.  

Regarding the stones vs. whiskey ball, it all depends on what flavor you're going for.  Ive used both and I prefer the whiskey balls.  If you like it "cold" but not diluted, a more "pure" flavor, stones are the way to go.  If you like it cold and you like a change in the flavor (from being watered down obviously) the more you drink it, stick with the balls.  Thats about the only difference you'll find really.  One other thing I noticed about the stones is, it doesn't get as cold as real ice, which is a draw back for me.  So, if you like it cold at all, just stick with the balls.  

If you ever get a hold of some "The Glenlivet: Nadurra", stay away from the balls.  Use stones to make it "cold".  At about $100 a bottle, thats a flavor that you don't want to dilute, nor do you need to.  One of the smoothest scotches I've ever had.  

Cheers!!!

Huh huh, you said balls!
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Joelala

I keep hearing that a little water actually brings out more of the flavors for some scientific reasons I do not comprehend.
Joe

timpellis

I would try anything new both ways, neat and with water. The taste is different, some of the best scotch is single barrel cask strength and then you add water to suit your taste. For me the price of the bottle doesn't matter, your desired flavor does. I went to a Single Malt Scotch Society tasting event, awesome if you ever have the chance, and they were adding water to 2,800 a bottle scotch. I got a great lesson from the guy on why it was done. I had always subscribed to the tired notion that you don't use rocks and don't add water, to be a man only neat. 60 some year old scotch expert just laughed and said typical, then enlightened me.

kuke

If you can find Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye Whiskey, buy it.  Whiskey reviewer Jim Murray declared it as this year's World Best Whiskey Of The Year.....and it's $30 a bottle.  I want to try it but it's sold out everywhere I've looked.

bstessl

Quotekuke - 12/16/2015  6:14 PM

If you can find Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye Whiskey, buy it.  Whiskey reviewer Jim Murray declared it as this year's World Best Whiskey Of The Year.....and it's $30 a bottle.  I want to try it but it's sold out everywhere I've looked.

Looks like if your state allows, you can purchase it here!

http://liquorama.net/crown-royal-northern-harvest-rye-canadian-whisky-750ml.html?vfsku=9373&vfsku=9373&gpla=pla&gclid=CJTehIWR4skCFdgHgQodztEKYA

Camshaft83

QuoteJoelala - 12/12/2015  6:31 PM

The Aberlour 12yr is about 40 and the High West American Prairie is about 35. Definitely recommend the High West.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

mpurtle01

Just picked up a Jeffersons Ocean bourbon.   This stuff is super small batch.   Aged at sea.   Lots of sloshing in the casks plus the salty sea air add a different dynamic to the flavor.   Good stuff!  

Also grabbed these other two.  The Hibiki scotch is pretty good.   Haven't gotten into the Jeffersons Rye yet.

Ahh dammit.   It's a jpeg again and I can fix it on my iPad.  Have to click the link below to see it.   Or maybe Longhorn will fix it for me again.   I'm too lazy... :beer:

Joelala

I am going to have to make a list of these. I am glad I brought this up because now I have something to do during the winter here.
Joe

bstessl

well,  impulse got the best of me.   been wanting to give this whole bit a try again for a while now.  I happen to stumble upon the booze section of Meijer and noticed they have the Crown Northern that Kuke was talking about,  so I'm jumping in both legs.... got the ice balls and everything.  just need to get some time now!

bstessl

well,  impulse got the best of me.   been wanting to give this whole bit a try again for a while now.  I happen to stumble upon the booze section of Meijer and noticed they have the Crown Northern that Kuke was talking about,  so I'm jumping in both legs.... got the ice balls and everything.  just need to get some time now!

okieeagle

QuoteJoelala - 12/12/2015  7:31 PM  So I tried a few of these the past week or so and I just bought a bottle of Mac 12. I liked the glenlivit 12 I tried. I also tried a glenmarangie.   What about something more reasonably priced. Say 30-35?  I do have that four roses on my list to try as well.

I can't really speak on prices because here in Oklahoma liquor seems to be so much more expensive than other places, but I've always found MacAllan 12 to be both an exceptional pair to pretty much any cigar, and a good value.  The 15 is much better, but also pricier. 
"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em." - Ron White

scrubs

I found this reference on pinterest last night.  Given my limited experience with Scotch, this is a great way to help determine what I might like vs not.

http://drinkedin.net/blog/233-single-malt-whisky-flavor-map.html
Kristofor "Kris" Copes

An exchange between Lady Astor and Winston Churchill:
Lady Astor:  "If I were your wife I would put poison in your coffee!"
Churchill: "And if I were your husband I would drink it."

Joelala

So I have a pretty awesome list started here. I want to thank everyone for putting their input in. I have tried a few different things in the past few weeks.

I really enjoy the Glenlivit over the Morangie that I tried. However I have yet to try the Lasanta (I want to try this).

The Macallan 12 is pretty damn good, I did have a glass of the 18 and WOW. But the price hurts my body.

I was able to try one of those blends of different scotches that was mentioned in the thread, it was OK. A friend brought it over just for me during a party so I told him it was good but in reality I would say its "good for what it is."

At a party with family I tried J. Walker Black. I believe is fits under the blended category too but I would say is was much better than the bottle my friend brought over. And from what I understand the price is reasonable but also close to the Glenlivit 12. SOOOO why not just buy Glenlivit 12 LOL.

Now if anyone actually get this far reading, when I started cigar smoking I bought everything at local B&Ms not realizing how cheap things were online. Do people buy liquor online as well? Do you save this way?

Sorry for any spelling errors.
Joe

bstessl

RESURRECTION!

the past couple of weeks I've been drinking the Crown Rye with my cigars,  so far I'm a fan.  I just picked up a bottle of the Morangie original single malt ($35.00) and it's not bad either.   I have been using the ice balls.  I think I'm beginning to enjoy the booze over the beers... Time will tell!

Joelala

Quotebstessl - 1/7/2016  9:05 AM

RESURRECTION!

the past couple of weeks I've been drinking the Crown Rye with my cigars,  so far I'm a fan.  I just picked up a bottle of the Morangie original single malt ($35.00) and it's not bad either.   I have been using the ice balls.  I think I'm beginning to enjoy the booze over the beers... Time will tell!

I could not agree more. The Crown Rye is next on my list, I would have bought it already but having 4 different bottle of scotch in my caibnet makes my wife think I have a problem LOL. If only she knew how much cigars cost
Joe

bstessl

No kidding!  The Rye isn't bad, but I honestly have no idea what I'm talking about... lol.

plnortham

QuoteJoelala - 12/27/2015  11:09 AM

So I have a pretty awesome list started here. I want to thank everyone for putting their input in. I have tried a few different things in the past few weeks.

I really enjoy the Glenlivit over the Morangie that I tried. However I have yet to try the Lasanta (I want to try this).

The Macallan 12 is pretty damn good, I did have a glass of the 18 and WOW. But the price hurts my body.

I was able to try one of those blends of different scotches that was mentioned in the thread, it was OK. A friend brought it over just for me during a party so I told him it was good but in reality I would say its "good for what it is."

At a party with family I tried J. Walker Black. I believe is fits under the blended category too but I would say is was much better than the bottle my friend brought over. And from what I understand the price is reasonable but also close to the Glenlivit 12. SOOOO why not just buy Glenlivit 12 LOL.

Now if anyone actually get this far reading, when I started cigar smoking I bought everything at local B&Ms not realizing how cheap things were online. Do people buy liquor online as well? Do you save this way?

Sorry for any spelling errors.

Hey!  He likes The Glenlivet 12 Year!  Now on to the older ones!  The only get better buddy!  The prices definitely get harder to swallow though.  I like trying new scotches and bourbons when I buy a new bottle.  But if Im ever in doubt, I know I can always go back to The Glenlivet - Any Year.
Phil Northam

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.