Whiskey? Scotch? Updated.

Started by Joelala, 12/07/2015 03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bstessl

I almost bought a bottle of Chivas, but wanted to stay away from the blended...
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Joelala

I was able to get a bottle of the 12 year Morangie Lasanta and wow. Love it. Too bad it's $60 a bottle. But well worth it.

I think I have come to find out I like Scotch over Whiskey. I was able to try that Crown Northern Harvest Rye and it was good. But in general I like Scotch Better. Thanks again for these great suggestions.
Joe

Joelala

Monkey shoulder. I like it. So far I would say it's the best $30 whiskey scotch blend I have tried. Almost taste like a single malt.
Joe

Brlesq

QuoteJoelala - 2/12/2016  7:28 PM

Monkey shoulder. I like it. So far I would say it's the best $30 whiskey scotch blend I have tried. Almost taste like a single malt.

Bought a bottle of that myself today  :thumbsup:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Camshaft83

Monkey Shoulder is on my to try list for sure. Heard lots of good things about it. Another Malt blend I'd like to get my hands on is Flaming Heart from Compass Box.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

bstessl

Thanks to Doug  (Druff) I can vouch for the Monkey Humper!   Good stuff!

CharlieDon'tSurf

I am not sure if you can get Forty Creek in the U.S., but give it a try if you see it.

Jackal

QuoteRebecca Silverwolf - 12/8/2015  3:16 PM

George Dickel Barrel Select is an amazingly good, and smooth, Tennessee Whiskey. Runs about $38 a bottle where I am.

:word:

:drinking:

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Joelala

I am stuck on this monkey shoulder.
Joe

Jackal

QuoteCharlieDon'tSurf - 3/2/2016  5:29 PM

I am not sure if you can get Forty Creek in the U.S., but give it a try if you see it.

You sure can; I use it to make Old Fashions

CharlieDon'tSurf

I went to the Forty Creek Distillery and picked up a bottle of their Double Barrel Reserve.  Very nice.  

Jackal, what is an "Old Fashion"

cavenbk

QuoteCharlieDon'tSurf - 3/23/2016  11:28 PM  I went to the Forty Creek Distillery and picked up a bottle of their Double Barrel Reserve.  Very nice.    Jackal, what is an "Old Fashion"

An Old Fashion is 1 1/2 oz Bourbon, a couple dashes of Angostura Bitters, a sugar cube (or granulated sugar if you don't have sugar cubes) and a couple dashes of water. They're damn good IMHO. I change it up a little when I make mine, I actually use Jameson's Irish Whiskey in place of bourbon. 

You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

bstessl

Quotecavenbk - 3/23/2016   I change it up a little when I make mine, I actually use Jameson's Irish Whiskey in place of bourbon. 

Would that make it a "New Fashioned"?

cavenbk

Quotebstessl - 3/24/2016  9:35 AM  
Quotecavenbk - 3/23/2016   I change it up a little when I make mine, I actually use Jameson's Irish Whiskey in place of bourbon. 

Would that make it a "New Fashioned"?

Haha. It very well could.

You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

tjm0831

If you guys are fans of the old fashion, you should try the NOLA classic, the Sazerac.  1 1/2 oz rye whiskey, 1/4 oz absinthe, one sugar cube, three dashes Peychaud's bitters.

Jackal

Quotecavenbk - 3/23/2016  9:23 PM

QuoteCharlieDon'tSurf - 3/23/2016  11:28 PM  I went to the Forty Creek Distillery and picked up a bottle of their Double Barrel Reserve.  Very nice.    Jackal, what is an "Old Fashion"

An Old Fashion is 1 1/2 oz Bourbon, a couple dashes of Angostura Bitters, a sugar cube (or granulated sugar if you don't have sugar cubes) and a couple dashes of water. They're damn good IMHO. I change it up a little when I make mine, I actually use Jameson's Irish Whiskey in place of bourbon. 

To make an Old Fashioned take the sugar cube, 2 dashes of bitters and a half dash of water (just enough water to get the sugar to dissolve and no more).  Muddle those together before adding the Whiskey, and then add an Orange Slice and a Marachino cherry (a real one, not those nasty fluorescent things that they try and pass off as a Maraschino).

Some Philistines, during the 90's, decided that muddling the orange and or the cherry was a good practice.  They are blatantly WRONG.  :drinking:

Jackal

Quotetjm0831 - 3/24/2016  8:14 AM

If you guys are fans of the old fashion, you should try the NOLA classic, the Sazerac.  1 1/2 oz rye whiskey, 1/4 oz absinthe, one sugar cube, three dashes Peychaud's bitters.

Gonna have to give that a try.  I have the necessary components at home to make this.

tjm0831

QuoteJackal - 3/24/2016  11:27 AM

Quotetjm0831 - 3/24/2016  8:14 AM

Gonna have to give that a try.  I have the necessary components at home to make this.

Garnish with an orange peel if you're feeling snobby.  You won't be sorry.  Great drink.

CharlieDon'tSurf

ninfiction

Was introduced to Old Fashions this last weekend, let's just say they should be sipped and enjoyed in moderation even though they are so damn good. My buddy makes them in a similar fashion to Jackal, muddle the sugar and bitters and use a real orange and Marachino cherry.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Chrism305

I was looking at this but decided on an entry level super car instead. $75,000 for the bottle.

CharlieDon'tSurf

This is really smooth stuff.

Joelala

Wiser's huh? might have to give it a shot.
Joe

Camshaft83

While stocking up on liquor before we got back into Utah I ran across these. Both of which I can't get at home so I had to buy them.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

CharlieDon'tSurf

QuoteJoelala - 4/7/2016  12:16 PM

Wiser's huh? might have to give it a shot.

I always liked Wisers as I was younger to mix with Ginger, but I really enjoy this one straight.  It is also good mixed.

$32 Cdn.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.