Glass Ashtray - how to remove print?

Started by c9belayer, 12/24/2015 01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c9belayer

So I got a nice H. Upmann glass ashtray along with a 5-pack of the 1844 Toros. The entire bottom of the round ashtray sports a fine H. Upmann logo - it looks really nice. I wasn't  interested in the ashtray, but it looks so good I decided to keep it. However, on the side is a surgeon general's warning. Damn. I tried to remove this objectionable notice with acetone, lacquer thinner, turpentine, and denatured alcohol. I even tried a citrus-based label removal solution (Goof Off, I believe). Nothing worked, not even a little bit. I really want to use this thing but I won't without that nefarious warning staring me in the face. Does anyone have any idea what I can use to remove this printing? I'm thinking methyl ethyl ketone, but before I head down to the hardware store I'd like to see if anyone else out there has tried this, and what their experience has been. Thanks in advance!
-- c9belayer

McBryde

"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

McBryde

Welcome to the site as well, head over to the newbie forum and introduce yourself!

E

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

toby2

Jackal

I cannot state for certain without actually seeing it.  Is it a white colored paint?  If it is, or any other type of oxide based paint, you probably need something with a high pH value.  Some lye might just work.  

Wearing chemical resistant gloves (rubber, nitrle, latex, etc) pour a little concentrated lye on a cloth.  Rub it onto the offending area and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.  Rub some more on to wash away what was loosened, and rinse with water.  It may take a few applications to remove completely.

Beyond that, you may need to get trickier.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

c9belayer

Thanks Jackal. Yes, it's the white part.
I'll try the lye thing as soon as I can find some.

-- c9belayer

Mojo66

It is a nice ashtray.

Do introduce yourself in the new member intro, we want to know more about you.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Jackal

Quotec9belayer - 12/28/2015  2:40 PM

Thanks Jackal. Yes, it's the white part.
I'll try the lye thing as soon as I can find some.
I clicked the "Attach a file after posting" check-box, and will attempt to attach a picture to this thread.

From the pic, it looks like a plastic decal being held on by a pressure sensitive adhesive.  You are in for a tough one.  You will either need to lift and pull the plastic up, or find some kind of solvent that will either craze or dissolve the plastic.  Lye isn't going to cut it.

The other route that might work is application of heat.  This could soften the adhesive or cause the decal to deform enough to get you a starting place to work on lifting it.  Try a hair dryer (or heat gun if you have one) at its highest setting.  If you can get the label to bubble or lift, then you can get under it to attack the adhesive.

Odds are that you will have to elbow grease this one.  Use plastic tools if possible, so as not to scratch the glass.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

jharrisx5

I'd get angry and bust out the dremel tool with a wire wheel.....but I have anger issues...
Puff Puff Give....

plnortham

Quotejharrisx5 - 12/27/2015  9:54 PM

I'd get angry and bust out the dremel tool with a wire wheel.....but I have anger issues...

:lmao::lmao::lmao:
Phil Northam

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." ~Mark Twain

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." ~W.C. Fields

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Hot Stuff x

If this is a glass ashtray -- maybe try one of those scrapers that uses a razor blade...
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

Vroomp

Gasoline removes almost any adhesive~!  :biggrin:

Surprised Lacquer Thinner didn't do the trick.  Are you sure it's not etched in or between layers of glass?>

Final option.......

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Cfickter

Good looking ashtray. What about Navel Jelly?
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

C130Driver

I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

c9belayer

All good answers, fellas. But it's not a label or a decal, or any sort of plastic matrix that was printed and then adhered to the glass. There's simply nothing to get a razor blade under, which leads be to believe the Dremel trick won't work unless I move to diamond bits.... (Jharrisx5: My Dremel with wire brush is permanently plugged in and ready to rock - it's my go-to solution for many things - but I didn't want to scratch the glass.) I think Vroomp came closest in suggesting there's a thin layer of glass somehow sealing the print in. I think I'm going to have to get extremely aggressive on this one. Oh, and C120Driver, nuclear fission would just turn it all to glass... which is part of the problem...

-c
-- c9belayer

nirab

How about leaving it alone? Or covering it with a cigar sticker? Or, paint over that mofo? Or not... :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

ntanner

What Brian said. Borrow some of the wife's nail polish or put a cigar sticker over it.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

C130Driver

In all seriousness, that really sucks. Everyone these days knows the risks of smoking, just let me do it in peace. I agree it takes away from the vibe the ashtray provides. Is it textured at all? Maybe a really high grit sandpaper.
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

Ken Kelley

I think what you got right there is a fired on ceramic decal. If that's the case then you are pretty much screwed. Ain't no way to get it off because it is part of the glass. Live with it or cover it up are your choices I reckon.

http://www.ceramicdecals.org/Glass_Decals.html

Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

c9belayer

So I finally got out the Dremel and went to town. The wire brush did nothing. I switched to a diamond bit and that worked great, though it permanently etched the glass. I think I'll chalk it up to a loss, and get back to my many other projects like rebuilding the inside of my Whynter cigar cooler. So far I've made better shelves, and am now working on a removable tray system with configurable dividers. I'll post pics, specs, and dimensional drawings when finished. Thanks for the inputs, guys! What a great forum.
-- c9belayer

McBryde

Goes to show me which type of ashtrays to never get now, sorry for the bad luck, but thanks for the info!

E

bstessl

Holy shyte!  I never knew there were risks to this!

welcome to the site,  looking forward for pics on the cooler project!
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

nirab

How about a sticker, proclaiming the risks of not smoking cigars???

Warning: By choosing not to smoke cigars, you run the risk of being a complete and miserable a$$hole!  :biggrin:  :angel:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Ken Kelley

Quotenirab - 1/2/2016  3:51 AM

How about a sticker, proclaiming the risks of not smoking cigars???

Warning: By choosing not to smoke cigars, you run the risk of being a complete and miserable a$$hole!  :biggrin:  :angel:

Yup! That pretty much takes care of the issue!  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.