March Member Sponsored Geek Critique

Started by junglepete, 01/06/2016 11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junglepete

This Geek Critique has been generously sponsored by Cfickter (Chuck).

The Cigar: The Leaf by Oscar, Maduro Lancero

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Jalapa
Binder: Honduras
Filler: Honduras
Country of Origin: Honduras (Oscar Valladares)

The Hype: The Leaf by Oscar line, the cigars best known for being wrapped in a tobacco leaf has added a third size.  The new size will be a 7 x 40 Lancero and will be available in the four blends that comprise the Leaf by Oscar line. This new Lancero will be a limited offering to a select 50 retailers nationwide.

Leaf by Oscar is a collaboration between Pittsburgh-based retailer Jim Robinson and Honduran cigar maker Oscar Valladares.  The line was launched in 2014 with four blends : Leaf by Oscar Connecticut, Leaf by Oscar Corojo, Leaf by Oscar Maduro, and Leaf by Oscar Sumatra. Originally the cigar was offered in a 6 x 50 Toro, but recently a 6 x 60 offering was added.  The new Lancero becomes the first limited offering under the Leaf by Oscar brand.

The Reviewers: Need two reviewers who have posted at least 10 database reviews and hold at least Veteran status and have not or are not scheduled for a review this year.

1. nwb (Nathan)
2. Ken Kelley (Ken)
3. SparklePony (John)
4. quickme (Nick)
5. DRuff (Doug)

Due Date: February 25, 2016.

Note: A reviewer who posts their review late will receive neutral feedback. A reviewer who does not post at all will receive negative feedback. There are always exceptions to the rule and a reasonable excuse for tardiness or a no show will be respected and thus not counted against the reviewer. Our sponsoring members and our administrators make the choice of who is to participate in any particular Geek Critique and can be better informed of their choices with this new initiative in place.

Thanks again to Chuck for taking this one on and providing the cigar. THANKS!! And happy smokin'  :meansmoke:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

quickme

I would love to be a part of this if you're willing to ship up to the GWN.

DRuff

junglepete

Gentlemen, I am going to let Chuck chime in and decide on the reviewers as it is his criteria. Good luck to all  :bigthumbs:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Cfickter

Well, that was quick!
Looks like I got my five
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

bmac7754

That was quick.  If anybody backs out, I'm here for you.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

Gustoff

I guess I need to start getting my 'review' on more actively!
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
 ~Ernest Hemingway

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

Cfickter

Shipping Update
Three cigars mailed
DRuff - 9405803699300164897201
NWB - 9405803699300164891209
Sparklepony - 9405803699300164891186

Ken Kelley will go today
Quick Me on Saturday or Monday

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

quickme

Thanks Chuck!!!  Extremely excited to have a chance to smoke this stick.  I've already booked a spot to smoke it :)

appollo

Great bunch of reviewers.Look forword to the reviews. :-)

Cfickter

shipped Ken's USPS 9405803699300165741725

Ken Kelley

QuoteCfickter - 1/7/2016  11:22 PM

shipped Ken's USPS 9405803699300165741725

Thanks. Chuck. I'm looking forward to this one because I really enjoyed the last review I did of this brand. My favorite size too!  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Cfickter

QuoteKen Kelley - 1/8/2016  10:27 AM  
QuoteCfickter - 1/7/2016  11:22 PM  shipped Ken's USPS 9405803699300165741725
Thanks. Chuck. I'm looking forward to this one because I really enjoyed the last review I did of this brand. My favorite size too!  :biggrin:

Glad you are in this, looking forward to reading the reviews 

Ken Kelley

QuoteCfickter - 1/7/2016  11:48 PM

QuoteKen Kelley - 1/8/2016  10:27 AM  
QuoteCfickter - 1/7/2016  11:22 PM  shipped Ken's USPS 9405803699300165741725

Glad you are in this, looking forward to reading the reviews 

Speaking of this very topic...I got a box in the mail today with the subject stick and a hanger on. Both made the trip safely and are in fine shape. Love the shroud on the Leaf and Bean cigar! The hanger on looks interesting. You'll have to fill me on the story on this one!

quickme

thought the review date was the end of Feb.  I will have this done by tonight or tomorrow at the very latest!  Very sorry for the delay.  Not a good impression for my first critique.

Ken Kelley

Quotequickme - 2/23/2016  12:38 AM

thought the review date was the end of Feb.  I will have this done by tonight or tomorrow at the very latest!  Very sorry for the delay.  Not a good impression for my first critique.

Don't worry about it. Sometimes these critiques are like those old 8-hour term papers back in your school days. In fact, part of the fun is making the sponsor squirm a little bit when the reviews are posted in the last few days! :)

junglepete

Quotequickme - 2/23/2016  12:38 PM

There is no delay so no apology need...you still have 2 days plus today. Happy smokin'
Guru of Frugality

quickme

talk about waiting till the last minute!   Critique is in.

Cfickter

QuoteKen Kelley - 2/23/2016 12:19 PM
Quotequickme - 2/23/2016 12:38 AM thought the review date was the end of Feb. I will have this done by tonight or tomorrow at the very latest! Very sorry for the delay. Not a good impression for my first critique.
Don't worry about it. Sometimes these critiques are like those old 8-hour term papers back in your school days. In fact, part of the fun is making the sponsor squirm a little bit when the reviews are posted in the last few days! :)

HEY! That is me!

Ken Kelley

QuoteCfickter - 2/24/2016  11:49 PM

QuoteKen Kelley - 2/23/2016 12:19 PM
Quotequickme - 2/23/2016 12:38 AM thought the review date was the end of Feb. I will have this done by tonight or tomorrow at the very latest! Very sorry for the delay. Not a good impression for my first critique.

HEY! That is me!

:biggrin:

Ken Kelley

Hmmmm....can't seem to get to the place where I can submit the critique. We might have a problem here, Houston, because the template is NOT popping up!

junglepete

I'm on it Ken ... thanks for the heads up.
Guru of Frugality

Ken Kelley

Quotejunglepete - 2/25/2016  3:14 AM

I'll check to see if it's there after a bit, Pete. If I can't get it to come up I'll send you my write up in a PM.

junglepete

QuoteKen Kelley - 2/25/2016  4:27 PM

Quotejunglepete - 2/25/2016  3:14 AM

I'll check to see if it's there after a bit, Pete. If I can't get it to come up I'll send you my write up in a PM.

I sent a PM to the Grand Puba...only he can grant the power of access. I know he was out of town for week and just got back so I am sure it will be addressed very soon. Hold tight  :-) in other words, don't send it to me  :rolleyes:
Guru of Frugality

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.