Water Drip Stopped

Started by C130Driver, 01/05/2016 10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

QuoteVroomp - 1/5/2016  1:46 PM  I can't read this because the picture is too large~! :biggrin:

uBlock or other ad blocker! Right click image, block element. Picture gone!

:dancing:  

Hot Stuff x

QuoteC130Driver - 1/13/2016  1:26 PM ... Boveda packs?!? How many do you guys use for a given capacity?

I  know this isn't what you want to hear, but the answer is you need as many as it takes to maintain humidity in your humidor.  If you have a tightly sealing humidor, one Boveda may do the job (but it would take longer to recover lost humidity when you open and close the humidor).  A humidor with a lot of leaks will take more humidification in order to keep up with the losses.

I have a 64 quart coolerdor that holds maybe 600 cigars, and a couple of Bovedas is all I need to maintain humidity in that monster.  But that applies only if I don't let the humidity drop too low, and the cigars I put in there are properly humidified themselves. 

LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

C130Driver

I get all of that, I'm just trying to get a rough sense of how many it would take to determine if it's right for me. I don't really want half my real estate full of Boveda. Nor do I really want to buy 24 of them when from my (very limited) searching on amazon it looks like they're going for about $15 for 4. For that money I'll stick with what I'm doing and buy a box of cigars.
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

bigjohn20081983

QuoteC130Driver - 1/13/2016  1:04 AM  I get all of that, I'm just trying to get a rough sense of how many it would take to determine if it's right for me. I don't really want half my real estate full of Boveda. Nor do I really want to buy 24 of them when from my (very limited) searching on amazon it looks like they're going for about $15 for 4. For that money I'll stick with what I'm doing and buy a box of cigars.

You could always keep you KL down in the bottom and just use a couple large Boveda packs in place of the ones you have now that where/are dripping.

What RH are you shooting for?

You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

Ted

QuoteC130Driver - 1/12/2016  11:04 PM  I get all of that, I'm just trying to get a rough sense of how many it would take to determine if it's right for me. I don't really want half my real estate full of Boveda. Nor do I really want to buy 24 of them when from my (very limited) searching on amazon it looks like they're going for about $15 for 4. For that money I'll stick with what I'm doing and buy a box of cigars.

Can usually get them from CBid for about $2 ea...

http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot/2212856/boveda-65-60g-humi-pack-one-packet/

Personally, I would buy the 20 pack. You'd need spares that you can use for a few days at a time while you recharge.

http://www.amazon.com/Boveda-B65-60-20P-20-Pack-Humidifier-Dehumidifier/dp/B00FEZNXRI/

I also have a pair of these on my lid, so not wasting real estate...

http://www.amazon.com/Boveda-Official-Wood-4-packet-Holder/dp/B004NUB0IY/

I figure if I'm going to buy nice cigars, I'm going to take care of them. Especially if they'll be in my humidors for years at a time.

ntanner

I have 4 of the large ones in my Humidor which advertises to hold 600 but is actually more like 400 to 450 probably and that is more then adequate for mine even in the dry climate were I am at. You should go directly to Boveda.  http://www.bovedainc.com/store/ They run about $4 each for the large pack's here and they are worth it IMHO.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

tjm0831

C130Driver

Quotebigjohn20081983 - 1/13/2016  1:35 AM

QuoteC130Driver - 1/13/2016  1:04 AM  I get all of that, I'm just trying to get a rough sense of how many it would take to determine if it's right for me. I don't really want half my real estate full of Boveda. Nor do I really want to buy 24 of them when from my (very limited) searching on amazon it looks like they're going for about $15 for 4. For that money I'll stick with what I'm doing and buy a box of cigars.

You could always keep you KL down in the bottom and just use a couple large Boveda packs in place of the ones you have now that where/are dripping.

What RH are you shooting for?

I shoot for the upper 60s. I used to try to maintain an exact % but then I accumulated a hygrometer for each shelf of my humidor and realized the RH within the humidor often varies by a few % between top and bottom. So now really anything between 65 - 70 and I'm happy. Using KL I tend to add water around 66% on my lowest reading hygrometer and that has been keeping me in range. My old humidor, a mix of KL and heartfelt beads worked great. I still have my HF in my other humidor so I went with straight KL in my new one. It does pretty decent, it's definitely stable, but I've been having trouble keeping the RH in my desired range without needing excessive amounts of water. In my previous humidor I would just mist the KL with a spray bottle and it worked great. This one, however, I filled the humidifiers that come with it with KL and I don't think there is enough KL for the volume of air, hints needing so much water.
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

Jackal

QuoteC130Driver - 1/12/2016  10:04 PM

I get all of that, I'm just trying to get a rough sense of how many it would take to determine if it's right for me. I don't really want half my real estate full of Boveda. Nor do I really want to buy 24 of them when from my (very limited) searching on amazon it looks like they're going for about $15 for 4. For that money I'll stick with what I'm doing and buy a box of cigars.

Boveda packs (the white ones) used to have a chart on them to calculate how many packs you need dependent on the area that you want to keep humidified.

TOTAL HUMIDOR CAPACITY   Number of packs needed/   
                                              WOOD   Plastic
0-50/                                                 2+/   1
50-100/                                         2-4+/   1
100-150/                                         4-6+/   2
150-200/                                         6-8+/   2
200-250/                                         8-10+/   2-3

Excuse the bad formatting

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Vroomp

QuoteTed - 1/12/2016  11:09 PM  

QuoteVroomp - 1/5/2016  1:46 PM  I can't read this because the picture is too large~! :biggrin:

Problem solved~!  I got a bigger monitor this week~! :biggrin:  

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Ted

QuoteVroomp - 1/13/2016  3:10 PM  

That works too!!!

C130Driver

QuoteVroomp - 1/13/2016  4:10 PM

That might work great for other activities than just looking at pictures of cigars. :lmao:

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Ted

QuoteC130Driver - 1/13/2016  7:36 PM  
QuoteVroomp - 1/13/2016  4:10 PM  

That might work great for other activities than just looking at pictures of cigars. :lmao:

Ha!

If still looking at the Boveda option, they are on CBid for a pretty good price...

Boveda Free Fall

Free Fall Tracker extension show it dropping to at least $30.22 ($2.50 per pack). Maybe lower, only been tracking for a few minutes.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.