Herfador Question

Started by airforce22, 01/13/2010 02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airforce22

I recently bought a 15 capacity herfador from Cbid.  I noticed a small humidification disk on the lid (didn't inspire confidence).  Any suggestions on what I should use that wont take up much room?

Thanks--Joel

nwb

Humi-care pillows - you can find them on CBID/CI.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=M-HMC07-10&stext=pillow

nwb
Chief of Shaft

smoke 1

Quotenwb - 1/13/2010  3:28 PM

Humi-care pillows - you can find them on CBID/CI.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=M-HMC07-10&stext=pillow

nwb

Yea the pillows work great.  I use them when I go on vaction to put in my travel humidor.  They last the whole trip, and you can reuse them quite a few times.  Dont know if you have ever ordered from      http://seriouscigars.com
but they use them when they ship your order.

-Brian

gitfiddl

Dittos on the pillows.  I've got a couple of the 5-cap herfadors.  I dropped the humidifiers in a cup of distilled water and the green foam dissolved!
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

akira

I personally go without any humidification unless I'm keeping my sticks in there for a couple weeks.  This is especially true if the box is full.  Since the box is airtight, the cigars don't dry out.  If I do use something it is the humi pillow everyone else already mentioned.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

gitfiddl

Quoteakira - 1/13/2010  3:56 PM

I personally go without any humidification unless I'm keeping my sticks in there for a couple weeks.  This is especially true if the box is full.  Since the box is airtight, the cigars don't dry out.  If I do use something it is the humi pillow everyone else already mentioned.

I agree.  Another thing I do with my small travel humidors:  If the foam isn't glued in, I take the cedar wraps from cigars or the liners from CigarFox boxes and stick it behind the foam.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

DocJazzRH

Thanks for the cedar strip idea David it's a good one. I do not use any additional humidification on short trips either but I am sure this will help... :thanx:
Rich ()=iii=<

Delusions of grandeur make me feel a lot better about myself .. J. Wagner

At least a bad conscience can make life interesting -- Kierkegaard

NES Tek

I normally use the pillows, but one other device I've used is the "DryMistat". It's the humidity sticks that you see on CBid. I like them because they fit better than the pillows depending on what you have in the humi.
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

gitfiddl

QuoteDocJazzRH - 1/13/2010  4:19 PM

Thanks for the cedar strip idea David it's a good one. I do not use any additional humidification on short trips either but I am sure this will help... :thanx:

I've got a couple of aluminum humis that stunk to high Heaven of that nasty foamy smell when I first got them.  I wiped down some of the cedar strips with distilled water and stuck them behind the foam.  In a day or two, the smell was gone.  And was mentioned before, I've had no problems on week-long excursions with cigars drying out, even with the humidors that aren't all that air-tight.

DonM

I have a 10 stick that I use occasionally.  As told by a B&M owner, unless you are leaving them in for a long period of time, no humidity is really necessary if you have properly cared for cigars.  They are so air tight, the cigars typically wont dry out.  It has worked fine for me

"The Curmudgeon"

Jackal

I use a drymist tube if I am concerned about humidity.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Anthony

For me, the little sponge it comes with is plenty.  That thing is seriously air tight, so unless you're using for long term you probably won't even need any humidification.
_____

BlackIrish

Quotegitfiddl - 1/13/2010  4:06 PM

Quoteakira - 1/13/2010  3:56 PM

I agree.  Another thing I do with my small travel humidors:  If the foam isn't glued in, I take the cedar wraps from cigars or the liners from CigarFox boxes and stick it behind the foam.

Good idea with the cedar.

I actually put a few drops of PG solution in the built-in foam humidifier in the top.  I don't use that stuff in my regular humidors but I don't want to take up valuable cigar space with a little water pillow.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

DennisA

I carry cigars with me in a cedar lined four finger case or in ziplocs in my saddlebags on several bike trips every spring/summer/fall. Even during the hottest part of the year, without any kind of humidification devices, I have never had any issues relating to humidification. I would think taking properly humidified cigars, and putting them in an airtight case for any time up to a week or so might not be optimal, but shouldn't pose a serious problem.

I actually really need to break down and buy myself a five or ten stick box. While humidification isn't a problem, a tool bag sitting on top of a couple of sticks in a ziploc for a few hundred miles is pretty devastating.   :-0  :sad:
Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.

87North

I've got one of the long stick shaped travel humidifiers that Cbid sometimes has that i've been known to drop in my 15ct. herfador if I need some moisture. We often have relative humidity around here of about 10-30 % so... Keeps things pretty moist though if you're not careful since it is air tight.  Kinda have to monitor it.
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

BlackIrish

QuoteDennisA - 1/14/2010  9:07 AM

I carry cigars with me in a cedar lined four finger case or in ziplocs in my saddlebags on several bike trips every spring/summer/fall. Even during the hottest part of the year, without any kind of humidification devices, I have never had any issues relating to humidification. I would think taking properly humidified cigars, and putting them in an airtight case for any time up to a week or so might not be optimal, but shouldn't pose a serious problem.

I actually really need to break down and buy myself a five or ten stick box. While humidification isn't a problem, a tool bag sitting on top of a couple of sticks in a ziploc for a few hundred miles is pretty devastating.   :-0  :sad:

Yeah, I find that it's the physical protection more than the humidification that makes the travel box worth it.  You can often get a deal on them on CBid.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

lowpro75

QuoteDennisA - 1/14/2010  11:07 AM

My advice would be to buy a 15 stick box.  When I go on vacation for a week I always fill it and usually have a few more in tupperware containers, just in case.  If you get much beyond the 15 stick boxes they get bulky.  Here is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Caddy-3540-15-Cigars/dp/B0007W07BI/ref=pd_sim_k_16
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

NES Tek

QuoteDennisA - 1/14/2010  8:07 AM

I have both a 5 and a 15. As Rich said, the 15 is perfect for vacations, times when you need a decent supply. Then, I like the 5 for when I need to carry just a few: golfing, biking, etc. I got both of mine on CBid: 5 for $15, 15 for $9 (apprx). Love having them!
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

calvarez

I do the same thing with the cedar strips in my travelers.  I only use the built-in disk, and they don't dry out in one week of travel and being opened a couple times a day.  The boxes are really well sealed.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

nwb

I agree with the above - I use travel humis more or less for protection.  At one point, I was just using bags, but the travel boxes more than make up for their cost by preventing crushed/broken cigars.

nwb
Chief of Shaft

DocJazzRH

I too lost a few sticks to my saddlebags before making a Herf a mainstay with any ride. It is scratched up something fierce but does its job with no problems. Great box...  :smoker:
Rich ()=iii=<

Delusions of grandeur make me feel a lot better about myself .. J. Wagner

At least a bad conscience can make life interesting -- Kierkegaard

Beegerply

Quoteairforce22 - 1/13/2010  4:24 PM

I recently bought a 15 capacity herfador from Cbid.  I noticed a small humidification disk on the lid (didn't inspire confidence).  Any suggestions on what I should use that wont take up much room?

Thanks--Joel

I got one for x-mas and set it the next day,closed it up for a week, then stuck a meter in it.  Been holding a steady 68%, no problems so far.

Byron
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

southernpacifico

Yeah,  Use this more to protect the cigar than for humi storage. If I will be gone for a week, I will moisten the little disk. But, there will be more that 1 herador too.

Smoke on BOTLs :smoker:  :smoker:  :smoker:
Things I believe:
Life is too short not to pull the trigger!
The best cigar, I haven't smoked yet.
Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another Scotch (Beer, Rum, Bourbon..) and Cigar!! The choices are endless......
SMOKE ON BOTLs

DennisA

I ended up getting a 15 stick box from cbid for a decent price. No more well well humidified cigar puree for me! :dancing:
Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.

87North

Just to note, I left my 15ct in the truck the other day and it got cold over night.  The next morning when I brought it in to open it, I had to use my pocket knife to pry it open at the padlock rings.  It seals so well that when I finally broke the seal it made that sucking sound like  a new jar of pickles.  I know I could have just let it warm up...but I didn't.  Still good seal.
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.