First "Real"Cigar

Started by 05Venturer, 09/12/2016 08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

Been thinking lately of what cigar was the "one" that really got me into cigars.
For me it was a cigar that I received in a special deal from Pipes & Cigars.
The cigar was an AVO ,I believe it was a Classic #5. Looking thru some pics tonight and I verified that thought. I remember smoking it on a fall bike trip back in 2013 with some friends.

What cigar got you hooked?
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

bmac7754

I started with a DE Taback Negra. Loved the coffee flavor and I got hooked.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

McBryde

A Dunhill tubo I was given at a bachelor party of a cousin of mine by his brother. Damn that was a good smoke. Not my first, but one of the ones that got he hooked!

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

ninfiction

Arturo Fuente Curly Head, my dad smokes em by the box and he gave me a couple on a fishing trip to Lake of the Woods. It was probably the occasion, sitting by the lake with my dad more so than the cigar that got me hooked.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

1029henry

Early 90's, either a La Gloria Cubana or a Hoyo Excalibur, I can't remember which.  I still enjoy these two cigars.
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

Camshaft83

Fuente or CAO Brazilia, can't remember which one I smoked first. I'd tried quite a few others but those 2 hooked me for sure. Try to keep a few of both around to this day.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

nirab

I remember the first two that set the hook. It was Oct. 2011, smoking a MF Le Bijou petite robusto, while sitting on the swinging bench outside of my old house. That was the first cigar where the flavor profile shined like a lighthouse at night, blew me away! The other was a Jaime Garcia petite robusto. Jan. 2012, we rode the bike to the old Habana House location, which was inside the old Ruta Maya coffee house...man, this city sure is changing!! We sat outside drinking coffee on a brisk Sunday morning, and that cigar, paired with the coffee and company, was simply blissful. Still two of my favorite cigars.  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

nwb

Macanudo Hyde Park got me interested, Padron got me hooked.

I remember smoking a Padron Magnum Maduro while playing the UGA Golf Course my last year of college.  It was at that point in time that I got really interested in cigars.
Chief of Shaft

headfirst

I won a gift basket of cigars and wine at a golf event.  I remember there was a San Lotano maduro, flor de las antillas, but it was the diamond crown natural that really won me over.

Fun thread to read!
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Jackal

My first was an RyJ Reserva Real.  Saint Luis Rey Serie G got me hooked.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Cigary

1966...a friend of the family was a Cuban man who was the mayor of our city.  He was always carrying CC's with him and I loved tagging along after him just so I could smell that delicious aroma.  Finally one day I asked him if I could have one of those cigars and didn't expect him to give it to me...to my surprise he gave me one but made me promise not to tell my parents where I got it.  A few days later when I was out in the almond orchards I smoked that sucker and it was love at first draw...didn't get sick or anything.  Every time I saw the "Mayor" he'd give me another one and I loved that guy for introducing cigars to me.

Vroomp

Hard to say, but probably San Cristobal Clasico my wife bought me after dinner one night sometime in 2008. I was just an occasional smoker then, smoking maybe one cigar a week (usually on our Friday "Date Nights".) I fell in love with that cigar and started purchasing samplers and boxes soon afterwards. By 2011 the wife was on my case about spending too much money on cigars so I started looking for good cheap cigars and I must have smoked every $2-4 stick out there looking for good every day cigars to curb my spending habit. Now I just buy what I like to smoke and tell her to go buy some shoes when I spend a little too much~! :biggrin:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

c9belayer

Long story (and may be repeated elsewhere around here... I forget):

Over the last several decades I've smoked a handful of cigars, usually whatever my brother or a friend handed me. It was always hit-or-miss, and being an ex-cigarette smoker, usually miss. Flash-forward to July 2015: At a dinner party, a good friend left me with an Avo XO Notturno Tubo; we hadn't found time to have an after-dinner smoke that evening, so he bid me "take it for later" and I did. A week later I got my 22 year-old son (visiting from Back East) a Montecristo White Label something-or-other at BevMo and off we went on the annual camping trip to Union Valley Reservoir for a week with my sister's family and friends. My intent was to smoke cigars with my son at some point during the trip.

On Monday the 27th, my son, my wife, and I drove over to Lover's Leap and climbed Bear's Reach, a 3-pitch, 420-foot gem of 5.7 difficulty. This is my favorite traditional rock climb, and I wanted to do it one more time before hanging up the proverbial rope. It was a bitch (I'm much older now), but we did it, me leading and belaying every mother-lovin' pitch. I was beat, they were both stoked and high on adrenaline (neither had climbed anything nearly as long or steep before), and we were all quite happy.

That evening, after dinner, my son and I celebrated by smoking our cigars by the campfire (my wife celebrated with Sangria). For the first time ever, I noticed how smooth the cigar tasted, and how it had it's own unique flavor. In hindsight, it was probably the first time I smoked a cigar correctly. Whatever the reason, everything clicked into place and I said to myself: "Damn... this is a really fine cigar. I must explore these things further." And I did, like a demon possessed.
-- c9belayer

shakinghorizons

I smoked just out of high school and figured higher the price tag - the better it would be, right? LOL Well, that was short lived after smoking an Onyx (not sure which one, but the wrapper was DARK!) too fast and just about falling on my face.

I got back in to cigars 2010ish after trying an Acid Blondie. I smoked all of the Acid line for a while until I just couldn't put up with the flavor anymore, lol. I decided to join a couple forums and the rest is history. Although it burned like absolute crap (go figure), a Gurkha Triple Ligero is what got me hooked. I still have a couple but they aren't nearly as good anymore, now that I have tried better. I have become quite the cigar snob - smoking Davidoff LE, AVO LE, CC LE/RE. I don't smoke nearly as much as I once did - 1 every 2 weeks or so , so when I do smoke (maybe once a month) I want something that is satisfying and reminds me why I have thousands of dollars invested, LOL.

runewolf

Arturo Fuente Hemingway. First "more than $4 cigar I'd ever had lol.
--// Signature space for rent \\--

quickme

RyJ #2 tubo.   On vacation in ISOM paired with a rum and coke and I was sold...

gitfiddl

Mine was a Fuente, probably a Curly Head or an 858 back in 1989.  Cy Jones, the owner of our local Edwards Pipe Shop, gave it to me to celebrate my divorce.  Dad and I were in there looking at pipes and generally hanging out as we were prone to due on Saturday mornings.  I left with a box of 50 Brevas Royales. I paid $35 for that box...

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

appollo

My first trip to Cuba back in 2010.I bought a box of 10 R&J Coronas.Started there and its been building ever sense.It really took of when I found this site . :biggrin:

05Venturer

Awesome stories everyone   :biggrin:
Keep em coming  :thumbsup:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Brlesq

In 1990 I smoked a few Tinderbox house blends.  Cheap, 60 cent sticks,  but nothing that caught my attention. Then I  smoked a Macanudo Hyde Park, and learned that I enjoyed premium cigars.  Its been all downhill from there!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

jagfandaddy

It was a Macanudo Portafino..............But gitfiddl was my enabler. After all, for someone to answer a question on Mothers day(I was in the UK)about a Cuban. He is the man!!
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

MacMac

Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.