Walmart hygrometers and lighters

Started by calvarez, 12/18/2009 09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam a

Quotelightone - 1/10/2010  12:20 AM

Still learning!! how do you do the salt test?? :confused:

http://www.stogieguys.com/2006/07/stogie-tip-salt-calibration-test.html
Any cigars portrayed in this post that appear to be Cuban in origin are completely fictional in nature. Any resemblance between these cigars and actual Cuban cigars is unintended and purely coincidental.

DonM

Not to be redundant, but I have been using a Western Digital III for a year now, no calibration, on the money and reasonably priced for a quality hygrometer.  I also bought the Little Havana cigar shaped one, it reads 1% higher than the Westenn Digital.   No salt tests, no messing around, they work fine.  Just suggestions

http://www.cigarextras.com/caliberiiidigitalhygrometerwithtemperaturelcddisplay.aspx

"The Curmudgeon"

wescat

Quotewescat - 12/21/2009  10:24 AM

Quotecalvarez - 12/21/2009  10:11 AM

All of the hygros have been in a salt test overnight.  Results...

Walmart:  60, 67
Fluker's:  71
Radio Shack:  77

So my ancient RS hygro (15+ years) is the most accurate.  Unfortunately it's freakin' huge.  This is retarded.  I guess there's really no such thing as a useful hygrometer.  I'm going to look at building my own with calibration ability.  And wi-fi.

I currently have 3 hygrometers, one of which I have salt tested 3 times to prove that its readings are repeatable, therefore it is now my reference. I mentally adjust the other 2 against this reference.

I bought some of these, I'll post how accurate they are when I get them in: http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/imagePopup.cfm?imgPic=M-HMC09.jpg&imgTitle=Humi-Care Digital Hygrometer

I like it that they can be calibrated; hopefully they won't exhibit much hysteresis.

Update: I got the 3 new Humicare hygrometers in and calibrated them. The little calibration knob is a little jikky, the "clicks" aren't as precise as I would like – ya get what ya pay for. I was able to get them dead-on within the 65-75 %RH range. I have them in my unit now, at various elevations. So far they seem worth the $15/ea I paid for them.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

calvarez

I got one of them, and set about to calibrate it.  Got totally crazy results.  I'll start a new thread since it's not a Wal-mart hygro.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.