Wow, What a Day!

Started by gitfiddl, 12/04/2016 12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitfiddl

As most of y'all know, I'm a "weekend warrior bar band musician type".  We've got a pretty good 4-piece band (guitar, bass, drums, and me on keys) called Element 1044.  Here in Jacksonville, there are what seems to be 100 bands for every club willing to pay enough to make it worth the while to haul all the gear, so we've been beating down doors (and our heads against the wall) trying to find a couple of gigs a month that pay more than "free beer".  

I woke up yesterday morning to a message at 8:30am on our band's Facebook page.  A band had cancelled a 2-6pm Christmas party gig at a bar at the last minute due to illness.  The organizer of the party had heard us back in the spring, liked us enough to remember she'd "liked" us on FB, and so she sent us the panic call.  It took me a little bit to rally the troops, and but we confirmed by 10am.  We played the gig to rave reviews and got paid as agreed, but it doesn't stop there.

A former bandmate with whom I'd parted company in a not so amicable fashion showed up and we finally made our peace after many years.  We realized life is too damn short, and he got up and blew some of the best blues harp you'll ever want to hear.  We even wound up talking about working together again on a little side project.  Our band made a lot of new connections, and re-opened a couple that were thought to be otherwise dead due to this, that, or the other thing.

And the band that cancelled?  Turns out I know them and they thanked us profusely for coming to the rescue.  They're pros like us and wouldn't cancel unless someone was seriously sick.  Now we have their recommendation if someone calls them and they're already booked.  

And the best part?  I was home and in bed by 10pm.  

So how was your Saturday?

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

benchjockey

Nice story. Glad to here things are looking good for you and your group.
I've loved the blues harp ever since I heard Billy Branch, Mark Hummel and Paul deLay go at it. Branch was amazing. This was at a Blues Festival in Maine. When the organizer came on stage to stop them, Branch said,
"I've come all this way for 10 minutes?"
The organizer let them play. The audience was the winner.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

05Venturer

Good for you brother  :thumbsup:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Cfickter

Awesome. Wish I had the talent to play let along sing. Always envyed musicians
I know, I know but I just don't have the patience
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

MacMac

Glad that all went so well for you!
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Kid Montana

Fine form, bromigo.  Post some youtube videos so we can hear what the hubbub is all about for ourselves.

I'd rather have a cigar...

DonM

QuoteKid Montana - 12/5/2016  12:56 AM

Fine form, bromigo.  Post some youtube videos so we can hear what the hubbub is all about for ourselves.

:word:

"The Curmudgeon"

millarddj

Speaking as an erstwhile small club goer up here in MN, I know how difficult things can be for "weekend warrior" outfits. Sounds like it wound up being a major windfall of the weekend. Best of all, I'm happy to hear you rebuilt a bridge!
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

MT21

Quotegitfiddl - 12/4/2016  1:47 PM

And the best part?  I was home and in bed by 10pm.  

:thumbsup:  :snoring:
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

Beegerply

Not as good as yours David.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

shakinghorizons

Excellent story and glad everything worked out for you and your group!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.