2017...A New Beginning

Started by ebernabe, 12/18/2016 05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nirab

a peaceful, appeasement post!  :angel:

AKA Hybrid DEA: Devine Euphoric Aroma  $8.95 (before blowout sales)
Flatbed Cigar Co. Panacea Azul - Cameroon Robusto  $6.50
Flatbed Cigar Co. Panacea Green - PA Broadleaf Robusto  $6.50
Joya de Nicaragua Joya Red Short Churchill  $4.50
Room101 Uncle Lee  $5.00 ($10.00 -what I paid before the blowout sales)

As always, if ever I am seen to be misrepresenting in any way, please let me know. I asked our moderator for approval before transitioning, and that was received. If there is an issue with me or my thought process, please pm me directly...thank you my fellow Geeks!  :angel:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Cfickter

First and foremost, not accusing anyone of anything. By posting prices it helps the pass move along and helps people who then don't have to look them up.  I feel this way about every pass, but just my own opinion.  
It's Eric's pass and if he doesn't see the need then that is fine.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

nirab

QuoteCfickter - 2/13/2017  6:57 PM

First and foremost, not accusing anyone of anything. By posting prices it helps the pass move along and helps people who then don't have to look them up.  I feel this way about every pass, but just my own opinion.  
It's Eric's pass and if he doesn't see the need then that is fine.

it felt that way, being that I just transitioned the pass... I apologize for reacting the way I did... :angel:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

Cfickter

Quotenirab - 2/13/2017  8:54 PM  
QuoteCfickter - 2/13/2017  6:57 PM  First and foremost, not accusing anyone of anything. By posting prices it helps the pass move along and helps people who then don't have to look them up.  I feel this way about every pass, but just my own opinion.   It's Eric's pass and if he doesn't see the need then that is fine.
it felt that way, being that I just transitioned the pass... I apologize for reacting the way I did... :angel:

Sorry Brian it came across that way, just trying to get some prices posted before my turn,

If you look at my comment all I asked for was prices to be included.  I didn't reference anyone's P&Ts nor meant to.

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

nirab

Hey Chuck...THANKS!

Secret messages received!... :angel:  :bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

clami

Sorry, I did not put my prices up either.  I find it difficult to price some cigars.  Room 101 for instance - no longer in production, did go for a premium price, but got mine for a killer deal.  What price do you use?  I like to allow the next guy in the pass the freedom to price them.  Maybe you feel like a Room 101 is a premium smoke so you trade a premium smoke for it.  Maybe you think they are bargain basement smokes, and you trade accordingly.  I usually don't go off the listed prices anyway - I like doing research and learning about the cigars in the pass.  My goal is to leave more than I take.  I can add prices to my puts if that will help others.

nirab

Quoteclami - 2/14/2017  1:08 PM

Sorry, I did not put my prices up either.  I find it difficult to price some cigars.  Room 101 for instance - no longer in production, did go for a premium price, but got mine for a killer deal.  What price do you use?  I like to allow the next guy in the pass the freedom to price them.  Maybe you feel like a Room 101 is a premium smoke so you trade a premium smoke for it.  Maybe you think they are bargain basement smokes, and you trade accordingly.  I usually don't go off the listed prices anyway - I like doing research and learning about the cigars in the pass.  My goal is to leave more than I take.  I can add prices to my puts if that will help others.

My thoughts exactly! Plus, I'm one of those Geeks who doesn't care about the value so much. Now, I don't wanna go trading a lot of $10 sticks for some $2-3 dollars cigars, but I will trade some without worry...splitting hairs and counting dollars ain't for me. A few dollars difference in someone else's favor or the other way around is not an issue in my book...and yes...I will always leave more than I take...or trade!  :biggrin:  :angel:  :bigthumbs:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

raize

Quoteclami - 2/14/2017  2:08 PM

The problem with this method is that it disregards what the original "put-er" paid for the stick.  Additionally, price is the only objective measure available in most cases. At the very least, it gives an agreed on starting point for swapping sticks out. Without a baseline, people could (objectionably) swap out Liga #9s for Gurkhas and be completely above board.

And typically, you go list regardless of what was paid.  Paying MSRP for the aforementioned Gurkhas doesn't make them comparable to other $15 sticks and the list price removes that error factor.
An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board, and a wrecking bar at the site.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=raize

nirab

Quoteraize - 2/14/2017  9:26 PM

Quoteclami - 2/14/2017  2:08 PM

The problem with this method is that it disregards what the original "put-er" paid for the stick.  Additionally, price is the only objective measure available in most cases. At the very least, it gives an agreed on starting point for swapping sticks out. Without a baseline, people could (objectionably) swap out Liga #9s for Gurkhas and be completely above board.

And typically, you go list regardless of what was paid.  Paying MSRP for the aforementioned Gurkhas doesn't make them comparable to other $15 sticks and the list price removes that error factor.

Trust, honesty, integrity...and a dash of generosity...that's my baseline, and I like to think, the CG way of life... :biggrin:  :angel:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

Cfickter

Quoteraize - 2/14/2017  8:26 PM  
Quoteclami - 2/14/2017  2:08 PM  Sorry, I did not put my prices up either.  I find it difficult to price some cigars.  Room 101 for instance - no longer in production, did go for a premium price, but got mine for a killer deal.  What price do you use?  I like to allow the next guy in the pass the freedom to price them.  Maybe you feel like a Room 101 is a premium smoke so you trade a premium smoke for it.  Maybe you think they are bargain basement smokes, and you trade accordingly.  I usually don't go off the listed prices anyway - I like doing research and learning about the cigars in the pass.  My goal is to leave more than I take.  I can add prices to my puts if that will help others.
The problem with this method is that it disregards what the original "put-er" paid for the stick.  Additionally, price is the only objective measure available in most cases. At the very least, it gives an agreed on starting point for swapping sticks out. Without a baseline, people could (objectionably) swap out Liga #9s for Gurkhas and be completely above board.  And typically, you go list regardless of what was paid.  Paying MSRP for the aforementioned Gurkhas doesn't make them comparable to other $15 sticks and the list price removes that error factor.

Raise is right, it can be difficult establishing a price and there is a difference between price and value i.e. Gurkhas.  In the end it as all about establishing a fair baseline for pricing where you have competing inputs.  You can't use B&M pricing, that would be great if B&M pricing was standardized (everyone just charged flat keystone pricing), but that won't happen mostly because of taxes.  I can tell you that people in NY pay about 30 - 50% more per cigar than I pay in PA, just because of taxes.  So a $10 PA cigar that I think is a good value I may not touch in NY for $15.

So the great common denominator is the WWW and even there prices can swing widely.  We all have access to a site like CI, so fair or unfair that seems to be the plumb line.   

As for posting prices, in the end it is the moderator's call   I would prefer to see them, but that is IMHO.  If I see a cigar that I like but feel the prices is overvalued I can pass or I can bite but I have to pay the price.

clami

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try and follow the moderator's lead on the next pass for the prices.  I also think our community is a good judge of trades.  I love that the P&Ts are out there for everyone to see.  If someone grabs a premium and puts a Gurkha, I think the other geeks are going to have  something to say about that - Prices or not.

DonM

Got the pass today, I will work on getting it out.

After reading the thread then reading the description to the pass from Eric, I am a bit confused.  No mention of posting pricing, only using CI as a guide or use your best judgement.

Seems we are getting a little OCD with this.  Maybe I should post 3 links for put cigar then average the cost OR create an Excel spreadsheet with possible appreciation / depreciation of said cigar + - what I actually paid.  Then calculate my loss/gain per take and put, get the entire pass participants approval prior to submitting the pass and mailing it.  That should only take me about 2 weeks to get the pass back on the road.

OR we can do it the gentleman's way and just do the puts and takes. This has been the way it is done for years, now we are re inventing the wheel.  I am doing it the Gentleman's way.  If one don't know what the cigar is worth, in doing puts/takes I would suggest they educate themselves.

I will PM you Eric for your approval before I mail it

"The Curmudgeon"

nirab

QuoteDonM - 2/15/2017  3:12 PM

Got the pass today, I will work on getting it out.

After reading the thread then reading the description to the pass from Eric, I am a bit confused.  No mention of posting pricing, only using CI as a guide or use your best judgement.

Seems we are getting a little OCD with this.  Maybe I should post 3 links for put cigar then average the cost OR create an Excel spreadsheet with possible appreciation / depreciation of said cigar + - what I actually paid.  Then calculate my loss/gain per take and put, get the entire pass participants approval prior to submitting the pass and mailing it.  That should only take me about 2 weeks to get the pass back on the road.

OR we can do it the gentleman's way and just do the puts and takes. This has been the way it is done for years, now we are re inventing the wheel.  I am doing it the Gentleman's way.  If one don't know what the cigar is worth, in doing puts/takes I would suggest they educate themselves.

I will PM you Eric for your approval before I mail it

:word:   leave it to the postman to straighten things out for us geeks! StampMaster in the HOUSE!!!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:

to be fair, I get where Chuck n Jason are coming from...but we Cigar Geeks tend to keep each other honest...we are generous to a fault...and we have the integrity, along with honesty, to do what's right...and as is always the case for every pass...the moderator is the be all, end all...

Now...let's all smoke a ceegar or two and fagitahboutit!!  :biggrin:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

calvarez

I don't have a strong feeling either way, but *appreciate* having the prices in there.  I won't bitch otherwise, but you'll earn a little karma with me if you do it.  Yeah yeah, I know what that's worth...
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

DonM

PM sent to Eric, I will have it back on the road once he gives me the nod.  Thanks for letting me participate Eric!

FWIW.....I do not think there is a problem with my p/t :shades:

"The Curmudgeon"

ebernabe

the prices I posted were from ci and famous smoke shop except ones not listed at either.

I trust the geeks and their judgment in this pass. just a slip on my part not specifying where to get prices.

DonM

Quoteebernabe - 2/15/2017  8:16 PM

the prices I posted were from ci and famous smoke shop except ones not listed at either.

I trust the geeks and their judgment in this pass. just a slip on my part not specifying where to get prices.

You didn't slip at all Eric, you said CI for comparable pricing or use your best judgement :big-thumbs: it is all good with me

"The Curmudgeon"

DonM

"The Curmudgeon"

raize

sounds good. I'll keep a lookout
An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board, and a wrecking bar at the site.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

raize

Got he pass this afternoon along with an unexpected bomb from Don.  I'll try to get this turned and back out by Saturday.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

raize

Puts & takes submitted.  Mod, please verify these are acceptable.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

ebernabe

looks good to me. thanks for being a part of the pass.

Quoteraize - 2/24/2017  9:07 PM

Puts & takes submitted.  Mod, please verify these are acceptable.

ebernabe

you guys don't have to get my approval, I trust you all and your judgment.

raize

Was out of town this morning so tried to ship it ups this afternoon. for the first time ever, they turned me away and said they can't ship tobacco.  ill get this out via usps on Monday.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

ebernabe

sounds good, thanks

Quoteraize - 2/25/2017  7:30 PM

Was out of town this morning so tried to ship it ups this afternoon. for the first time ever, they turned me away and said they can't ship tobacco.  ill get this out via usps on Monday.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.