Cigar smoker to be new HHS secretary!?

Started by amigodecigars, 11/29/2016 12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amigodecigars

TRUMP TAPS CIGAR FRIENDLY CONGRESSMAN FOR HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES HEAD.                              Rep. Tom Price, R-Georgia, has been selected by President-elect Donald Trump to be the next secretary of the Department Health and Human Services (HHS), the government department that oversees many health-related initiatives and agencies—most notably for cigar smokers, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA).

Price, who is an orthopedic surgeon, is a cigar smoker who supported previous efforts to exempt premium cigars from FDA control, co-sponsoring H.R. 1639 in the 112th congress, and H.R. 792 in the 113th congress. Both of those bills sought to remove FDA’s authority to regulate premium cigars.

Interestingly, Price is not listed as a co-sponsor of H.R. 662, the current bill that would exempt premium cigars.

Price’s nomination will need to be confirmed by the U.S. Senate.

"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

Cfickter

Well that is some good news for a change
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Vroomp

When I wrote a letter to that douche bag he said smoking was bad for me~!!!! He's no friend to cigar smokers......... :confused:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Brlesq

QuoteVroomp - 11/29/2016  6:24 PM

When I wrote a letter to that douche bag he said smoking was bad for me~!!!! He's no friend to cigar smokers......... :confused:

Interesting . . .maybe you got the wrong generic response letter.  :confused:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

MacMac

I sure hope it's true! We need and ally in high places!
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Vroomp

HHS Secretary Nominee Price Calls for Extension of SCHIP Tax

As part of his Senate confirmation hearing, Rep. Tom Price, R-Ga.,  called for an eight-year extension of the Children’s Health Care  Insurance Program (CHIP), which is funded in part by a 52.4 percent  federal tax on cigars, with a maximum cap of 40.26 cents per cigar.

During questioning, Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, referred to a  recommendation made to Congress that the CHIP program be extended for  five years. When the senator asked the Health & Human Services  Secretary nominee for his opinion, he responded with “well, if we could extend it for eight, probably be better than five.”

The current round of CHIP funding is scheduled to expire on Sept. 30.

CHIP was originally created in 1997 to provide matching funds to  states for health insurance to families with children. President Barack  Obama expanded the program on Feb. 4, 2009, when he signed the  Children’s Health Insurance Reauthorization Act of 2009, which added an  additional 4 million children and pregnant women, as well as including  legal immigrants without a waiting period for the first time.

The tax is also the basis by which FDA’s new user feeds are calculated.

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

toby2

if i remember right back when we were all sending letters to our politicians (used car salesmen) i got a reply back that stated something about "will always protect the health, blah blah blah"

what do you call two politicians at the bottom of the ocean?

a good start!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.