FDA

Started by amigodecigars, 05/09/2017 05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amigodecigars

Dr. Scott Gottlieb will be the new commissioner of the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA).

Gottlieb was approved by a vote of 57 to 42 in the U.S. Senate.

His move is expected to be a welcome sign for cigar smokers and companies dealing with the recent deeming regulations by FDA. Gottlieb has previously argued that FDA should not be regulating cigars.

"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

Cap10_Morgan

Not gonna pretend to know much about politics, but sounds good to me.  As a newb, can you tell me what benefits this might mean for cigar smokers?  (I really don't follow politics much, lol)  Would it make them cheaper because there are less taxes or less money spent meeting FDA regulations, etc?
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

ninfiction

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 5/9/2017  6:22 PM

Not gonna pretend to know much about politics, but sounds good to me.  As a newb, can you tell me what benefits this might mean for cigar smokers?  (I really don't follow politics much, lol)  Would it make them cheaper because there are less taxes or less money spent meeting FDA regulations, etc?

It's all about regulations and the proposed expense to bring new cigars to market. It's pretty involved, including a grandfather date that will make most boutique cigars obsolete, essentially treating cigars the same way cigarettes are. Most boutique/smaller cigar companies don't have to cash to pay the FDA for product approval so they would go away.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

jagfandaddy

A step in the right direction!
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Cfickter

Quoteninfiction - 5/9/2017  8:06 PM  
QuoteCap10_Morgan - 5/9/2017  6:22 PM  Not gonna pretend to know much about politics, but sounds good to me.  As a newb, can you tell me what benefits this might mean for cigar smokers?  (I really don't follow politics much, lol)  Would it make them cheaper because there are less taxes or less money spent meeting FDA regulations, etc?
It's all about regulations and the proposed expense to bring new cigars to market. It's pretty involved, including a grandfather date that will make most boutique cigars obsolete, essentially treating cigars the same way cigarettes are. Most boutique/smaller cigar companies don't have to cash to pay the FDA for product approval so they would go away.

Brian, is right, excessive regulations and gross over charging fees was what the FDA had in mind for cigar companies, also delays in releasing new blends and brands.

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Cap10_Morgan

Thats pretty much what I was thinking.  Sounds good, thanks.
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.