Well It's Official - Apple has Killed the Cigar Geeks app!

Started by SenorPablo, 06/06/2017 03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cfickter

@rob
Your points are valid but reLly Apple knows the impact. I very much doubt that their next quarter analysis to call will show any impact. The other unknown is the anti-tobacco lobby. How much pressure did they put on them?
In the end it is all a matter of perspective. People who don't like smoking are happy, while those of us who love it are pissed.Planned Parenthood has an app, I would like to see that go, but that is because of personal reasons. While the supporters would be up in arms..
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Kman

So they're getting rid of all of their gambling apps too right?

And yeah, CVS really has your health in their best interest....
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Otter

jailbreak? I've never considered it but maybe that's the best option aside from switching to Android?
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Otter

jailbreak? I've never considered it but maybe that's the best option aside from switching to Android?
R, Otter
CRA Ambassador #0264

Otter

R, Otter
CRA Ambassador #0264

Otter

Lol my iPad posted that three times and it won't let me delete the extra posts Apple must be watching...
R, Otter
CRA Ambassador #0264

Head83

Doesn't seem to be available on the store anymore, does anyone know if its possible to find and load an old version without jail breaking? I am not even sure if thats possible but figured I would ask someone smarter than me.

MacMac

I can't even open the app anymore on my iPad.  I hate not having the humidor as well as general access to the site through the app.  Very sad.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

MacMac

I can't even open the app anymore on my iPad.  I hate not having the humidor as well as general access to the site through the app.  Very sad.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

runewolf

I haven't upgraded to the latest version yet, but my wife has.  I would like to know why Geeks is banned, but CA's "Where to smoke" app and some other cigar apps are not?
--// Signature space for rent \\--

ninfiction

Quoterunewolf - 10/6/2017  6:59 AM

I haven't upgraded to the latest version yet, but my wife has.  I would like to know why Geeks is banned, but CA's "Where to smoke" app and some other cigar apps are not?

CA, Drew Estate, Cigar Dojo, Famous and Cigars Int have deal apps still available. Must be about the money.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

KickStart

Do you notice that Cigar Boss literally owns the page in the App Store? I've never used any that I'm aware of. There are a couple of humidor apps on there that I have tried, but they failed. That's what brought me here. It is curious that there are still many cigar apps still up and running. It seems you haven't lined the right pockets. Shame on you (jk).
I'm thinking if you write a stop smoking program into your app, you could be back in business. Crazy idea? Not if it worked.

KickStart

Same message posted twice.  :mad:

Cfickter

The guidelines are written specifically vague, this allows Apple (and others like Facebook) to interpret as they like
I see this this is more about two things
1. developers and hosts like Apple and Facebook get to pat themselves on the back and tell themselves they are making this a better world. (bull$h!t)
2. The get to impose their ideas of social justice, they are telling us what is right and wrong.

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

runewolf

QuoteCfickter - 10/9/2017  9:19 AM  The guidelines are written specifically vague, this allows Apple (and others like Facebook) to interpret as they like  I see this this is more about two things 1. developers and hosts like Apple and Facebook get to pat themselves on the back and tell themselves they are making this a better world. (bull$h!t) 2. The get to impose their ideas of social justice, they are telling us what is right and wrong.

Exactly! I have read through their guidelines and read the appeals process and about people having to appeal numerous times even on an app that they are just doing updates on.  Meanwhile I see 32 or more apps all by Cigar Boss, One from CA, and several other out there, but ours is the on that gets denied.

--// Signature space for rent \\--

Cfickter

Quoterunewolf - 10/10/2017  7:16 AM  

QuoteCfickter - 10/9/2017  9:19 AM  The guidelines are written specifically vague, this allows Apple (and others like Facebook) to interpret as they like  I see this this is more about two things 1. developers and hosts like Apple and Facebook get to pat themselves on the back and tell themselves they are making this a better world. (bull$h!t) 2. The get to impose their ideas of social justice, they are telling us what is right and wrong.

Exactly! I have read through their guidelines and read the appeals process and about people having to appeal numerous times even on an app that they are just doing updates on.  Meanwhile I see 32 or more apps all by Cigar Boss, One from CA, and several other out there, but ours is the on that gets denied. 

It does seem confusing.  I believe it also has something to do with the update that Paul planned for the app.  it was more than bug fixes.  If I read the tea leaves (or perhaps tobacco leaves) right, existing apps could continue and bug fixes applied but major updates could allow them to invoke their death penalty.  If you look at apps like Cigar Dojo its last update (assuming major update) would be Jan 2017, many of the Cigar Boss apps go back as far as Dec 2015 for their last updates.  The two apps from Famous Cigar Auctioneer and Cigar Monster are from later 2016 or Jan 2017.  Keep in mind that Apple warned developers in Jan 2017 this was coming.  I have read where plenty of vape apps have also been either dropped or not approved.  So it seems many existing apps got grandfathered in, for now

In the end Apple can find a way to kill the apps it deems socially immoral in their eyes.  Nobody is not going to buy the next iPhone because of not being able to get an app or two.  

Cigary

Sad that companies are now involved in Political Rhetoric instead of running their businesses. My soup cans and string aren't bothered by this stuff...it gets great reception from 5 feet and no data charges and I'm off the grid completely.

danb6177

QuoteKickStart - 10/7/2017  12:10 PM

I'm thinking if you write a stop smoking program into your app, you could be back in business. Crazy idea? Not if it worked.

It probably would work, but then we would be like them...unacceptable!

Welcome to the forum BTW. You can still use the humidor online or drop apple. Not hopeless yet.
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

CoreyMacLeod

Just another reason to NOT buy an Apple product.
No Signature Necessary.

toby2

Google and Apple both are corporate giants who's stated values blow with the current politicaly correct whims of the bought and paid for media and their dips**t Hollywood mouthpieces. pick your poison... Apple just works, for me anyway. the day i have to "jailbreak" a phone is the day i stop using one. i gots better things to do with my life.

toby3

I may be a little late weighing in but is it not possible to release it as a third-party app? Maybe on amazon's app store? I used to download iphone apps from amazon and never had an issue.
The Pope outlawed cigarettes in the Vatican but did nothing to cigars. What does that tell you?

Smokin surfer

QuoteOtter - 6/8/2017  8:46 PM

Well, damn.  I just gave up my jailbreak of iOS 9 to upgrade to iOS 11 and discovered that the app is no longer available in their app store.  I have a ritual of noting the rest on my cigars before enjoying them and keeping a meticulous inventory.  I am lost without that app.  I even wrote all my cigar reviews from there.

Oh, well... If I have to use my macbook to update the humidor, I guess you will be seeing a lot more of me in the forums for better or worse! :violin:

TheSmokedBlade

Has there been any attempt to try and bring back Cigargeeks back to the iOS platform, there does seem to some resurgence in cigar related apps as of iOS 13. Just a thought.
something should go here, I've no witty banter to employ, so enjoy, my ploy... got nothin

arrow34

Oy... Well, glad again that I am an Android user.

PETE314

You know...The re-emergence of this thread got me to thinking...It is kind of ironic...Apple was doing...ok with the Apple II PC's.  But it was the Super Bowl Ad to introduce the Macintosh that really propelled Apple into the tech giant it is today.  For all of you "youngsters" out there, the ad depicted a grey, Orwellian dystopian "1984" vision of people mesmerized by mass media and status quo. (it is essentially a scene from the book, so they were sued) Then you see the woman Olympian in vibrant colors, swinging a large hammer and letting it fly.  The hammer destroys the screen, waking(freeing) people from this nightmare.  the Macintosh was supposed to "free" people from information control.  And now Apple is one of the larger tech conglomerates that contributes towards an actual 1984 like setting.

The app is but one example.
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.