How do you light your cigar?

Started by West88, 07/06/2017 09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

West88

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering how all of yall out there light your stogies. Be it a butane torch single flame, triple flame, cedar spill, zippo lighter, BIC lighter, matches, stove, bonfire, flamethrower? Whatever, just looking to see all the different types of lighters and creative ways people light their cigars. Lets see some pictures.
"Better to have that and not need it than need it and not have it" Captain Woodrow F. Call

Deener27

Just a simple triple torch, toast the end a bit to get an even burn and away we go.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

West88

Forgot to add in, how do you think each affects the flavor of the cigar. From what I've heard butane is the cleanest burning, cedar spill adds to the flavor, BIC lighters ruin the flavors, so on and so on.
"Better to have that and not need it than need it and not have it" Captain Woodrow F. Call

appollo

Give it a good toasting and away we go. :biggrin:

Cap10_Morgan

I use a single flame torch I got for free with a sampler years ago.  Keep meaning to look into double or triple flame torches, but I love that little thing.  Been through a lot and it's still going strong.  Sometimes, I use a soft flame butane lighter when my torch is low.  There is something satisfying about a soft flame for sure.
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

Deener27

QuoteWest88 - 7/6/2017  10:00 AM

Forgot to add in, how do you think each affects the flavor of the cigar. From what I've heard butane is the cleanest burning, cedar spill adds to the flavor, BIC lighters ruin the flavors, so on and so on.

I think this is a matter of preference.  In my opinion, wooden matches or butane torches are a-ok.  It never dawned on me to light with a BIC or something like that.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

tvolball

I use wooden matches from the local B&M. Mainly because I can't find a good lighter that will continue to work for more then a month. Matches always work. Usually light them and let them burn past the tip just a bit then roll the stogie in flame until its well lit.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

shakinghorizons

Napalm.

Double butane torch for lighting, single for touch-ups. I have a triple but rarely use it as I think it gets the tobacco too hot.

If I am at a B&M, I will use cedar matches/spills, as that is one of the few times I am out of the wind long enough.

Cfickter

Quotetvolball - 7/6/2017  11:39 AM  I use wooden matches from the local B&M. Mainly because I can't find a good lighter that will continue to work for more then a month. Matches always work. Usually light them and let them burn past the tip just a bit then roll the stogie in flame until its well lit.

Some matches use more Sulphur than others, If I use a match I always let it burn past the head to avoid it.  But mostly I use a butane soft flame lighter from Xikar

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

StogieDad

Fire....:biggrin:

I have lighters, spills, and matches stuffed all across the house so just according to which one I find.  And if I can't find that, I'll use the stove!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

The Burn Ward

Never a zippo unless you have a butane torch insert. Try and avoid using any thing with a strong scent to light cigars.

PETE314

I have a couple JetLine Quad Torches...I may use a bit a butane with those beauties...but they are great lighters and I need a little overkill every now and then...LOL
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

M82

Triple flame butane torch "Pocket Rocket"

Cap10_Morgan

QuotePETE314 - 7/6/2017  4:10 PM  I have a couple JetLine Quad Torches...I may use a bit a butane with those beauties...but they are great lighters and I need a little overkill every now and then...LOL

Like when lighting a dark oily maduro in 60+ rg?!  I wish I had a quad torch for those (CAO Flathead 660, Partagas Black Colossal, etc)

"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

amigodecigars

On my bike's exhaust pipes                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

Beegerply

Ronson Jet light single flame is all I've used for years.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

West88

Thanks for the input everyone

Brlesq

My lighter selection depends on what I am smoking.  For example:

I use this one on Diesels, Indian Heads, CAO Flatheads and Sons of Anarchy cigars

photo Wrench Lighter_zpspqc9a4eg.jpg

And I use this one on Tatuaje Pork Tenderloins, Drew Estate Flying Pigs and Feral Pigs

photo Piggy Lighter 1_zpspye6rusm.jpg photo Piggy Lighter 2_zpscumnliue.jpg

And I use this one on Gurkhas . . .

photo Toilet Lighter_zps7jhz8rde.jpg

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Vroomp

To tell the truth, about 50% of the time I use one of these things...........

But I also smoke in my Jeep a lot and I hate using the cigarette lighter to light a cigar~!

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

RDF

Here's the one I use most, it's a pink Zikar Allume single Flame. Reminds me of what my wife has been through.

HokieSmokes!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." H. Jackson Brown

DonM

QuoteBrlesq - 7/6/2017  10:39 PM

My lighter selection depends on what I am smoking.  For example:

I use this one on Diesels, Indian Heads, CAO Flatheads and Sons of Anarchy cigars

photo Wrench Lighter_zpspqc9a4eg.jpg

And I use this one on Tatuaje Pork Tenderloins, Drew Estate Flying Pigs and Feral Pigs

photo Piggy Lighter 1_zpspye6rusm.jpg photo Piggy Lighter 2_zpscumnliue.jpg

And I use this one on Gurkhas . . .

photo Toilet Lighter_zps7jhz8rde.jpg

:bigthumbs:

I have butane lighters all over the place.  A bunch of Xikars, Jetlines and a few no name all over the place.  Garage, porch, Jeep, Harley.  I like the dual flame mostly

"The Curmudgeon"

Olddog

Toast it some then use a butane to light 'er up.
"Honest men, with pipes or cigars in their mouths, have great physical advantages in conversation. You may stop talking if you like, but the breaks of silence never seem disagreeable, being filled up by the puffing of smoke." - William Makepeace Thackeray

toby2

great pics. i use a torch or a Zippo. just depends.

christophernagy

For Father's Day, my daughter gave me a Techno Torch table top lighter.  It is a 3-jet butane which produces an almost comically large flame (like, 6") when turned up.  It does a beautiful job when set all the way down, but it almost cost me an eyebrow the first time I used it.

headfirst

Usually a butane quad torch unless I'm at home, then I'll use my Alec Bradley butane table lighter.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.