Hey it's another pass...but it's my first time being a mod

Started by ninfiction, 07/07/2017 05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

Quoteappollo - 8/17/2017  7:17 PM

If my memory serves me correctly,there was a small issue with Larry in a previous pass.Something about sticks being shipped to the GWN.Oh yea that was sticks being sent to me and he complained about the shipping charges to send them to me and I never did get them.Those puts were crap with what he took and you geeks know us Canadians are pretty laid back.
  MAKE IT RIGHT LARRY.

You have a great memory my friend.
Here is how Larry rolls

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=35256.0
 :angry:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

danb6177

Quote05Venturer - 8/17/2017  10:29 PM

Quoteappollo - 8/17/2017  7:17 PM

If my memory serves me correctly,there was a small issue with Larry in a previous pass.Something about sticks being shipped to the GWN.Oh yea that was sticks being sent to me and he complained about the shipping charges to send them to me and I never did get them.Those puts were crap with what he took and you geeks know us Canadians are pretty laid back.
  MAKE IT RIGHT LARRY.

You have a great memory my friend.
Here is how Larry rolls

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=35256.0
 :angry:

Oh my..I remember this pass...what a mess
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

Deener27

Quote05Venturer - 8/17/2017  9:29 PM  
Quoteappollo - 8/17/2017  7:17 PM  If my memory serves me correctly,there was a small issue with Larry in a previous pass.Something about sticks being shipped to the GWN.Oh yea that was sticks being sent to me and he complained about the shipping charges to send them to me and I never did get them.Those puts were crap with what he took and you geeks know us Canadians are pretty laid back.   MAKE IT RIGHT LARRY.
You have a great memory my friend. Here is how Larry rolls  http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=35256.0  :angry:

Kent, you should write a Geeks article on how not to conduct a pass here.  This is a great case study in how messed up things can get.  

The thread from 15-16 was an entertaining read for sure.  If you notice, we had the two parties as participants in that pass that are/were involved in this one.   

Really a great learning experience.  Someone made a reference to passes of the past that were worse...how much worse does it get? 

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

sar127

Honestly this is why other "less relaxed" forums have strict guidelines for who can run passes and even be in them.

Given that CG is already equipped with feedback and the badge system. A "pass eligible" and "pass runner" badge wouldn't hurt imo.
Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

McBryde

Quotesar127 - 8/17/2017  11:33 PM

Honestly this is why other "less relaxed" forums have strict guidelines for who can run passes and even be in them.

Given that CG is already equipped with feedback and the badge system. A "pass eligible" and "pass runner" badge wouldn't hurt imo.

And how about a douchebag badge while we are at it!

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Cfickter

Rumors are admins will be instituting new pass participant rules

pass rules 

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

StogieDad

Feedback needs to be left to warn other pass starters about this behavior as well.  There is still time to explain himself and try and make right, but logging on and not answering to the situation does not bode well.  It would be easy to fess up, say oops I f&*&#$d up, let me send a few sticks to the mod or further down the pass and I will make this good.  Nobody would ever have a problem letting him in again.  But to avoid the situation just looks like you are playing on the good will of the geeks, not cool.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

LarryPM

I found my error and I'm working on making it right with the mod.

LarryPM

Quick explanation to those who are so ready to condemn me...I meant to Put 5 and Take 4, but I kept 5 and the most expensive one in my Takes (the Padron) was kept by accident.  I was rushing to get the box off since the last time I was blamed for the whole thing going awry when I had no idea the UPPS would want the keys to my car and my first born to ship cigars to Canada. The value of these sticks, if I hadn't messed up, would have been about equal.  I have offered to send $$$ to the next guy to "buy" sticks out of his stash, or a B&M for that matter, to more than make up for the difference.  
You won't have to worry about my being in another pass, I'm not I your league as far as knowledge or holdings.  To those who expressed a willingness to give me the forum to explain, thank you.

ninfiction

I appreciate that you didn't just run and hide from the mistake.

Larry and I have pm'd this morning and Lammy also reached out to me. I do believe between the 2 of them the box will be back on track by Monday or Tuesday.

s**t happens and I'm sure we've all found ourselves in the middle of a !@#%$up. To me, fixing the problem is often a lot harder than just trying to hide the fact there was a problem.

This is not the admin you're looking for...

bstessl

QuoteLarryPM - 8/18/2017  8:34 AM

Quick explanation to those who are so ready to condemn me...I meant to Put 5 and Take 4, but I kept 5 and the most expensive one in my Takes (the Padron) was kept by accident.  I was rushing to get the box off since the last time I was blamed for the whole thing going awry when I had no idea the UPPS would want the keys to my car and my first born to ship cigars to Canada. The value of these sticks, if I hadn't messed up, would have been about equal.  I have offered to send $$$ to the next guy to "buy" sticks out of his stash, or a B&M for that matter, to more than make up for the difference.  
You won't have to worry about my being in another pass, I'm not I your league as far as knowledge or holdings.  To those who expressed a willingness to give me the forum to explain, thank you.

So you didn't realize that you put $2 and $3 sticks in a pass (that you had priced in your humidor) that the minimum is set for $5?  You accidently typed the padron into your humidor?  Seems legit... Totally...
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Brlesq

Quoteninfiction - 8/18/2017  9:55 AM

I appreciate that you didn't just run and hide from the mistake.

Larry and I have pm'd this morning and Lammy also reached out to me. I do believe between the 2 of them the box will be back on track by Monday or Tuesday.

s**t happens and I'm sure we've all found ourselves in the middle of a !@#%$up. To me, fixing the problem is often a lot harder than just trying to hide the fact there was a problem.

Glad to see that Larry is going to step up and resolve this.  :thumbsup:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

LarryPM

Because I received a cigar as a gift it has no value in a pass?  I got a $7.00 stick for $2 or $3, it's pass value is not $7.00?  

I've found so many nice people on this site, I'm not going to let a few cynical haters affect how I feel about the rest of you! Again, to the people who put themselves in my shoes for a moment, thank you.

StogieDad

QuoteLarryPM - 8/18/2017  1:26 PM

Because I received a cigar as a gift it has no value in a pass?  I got a $7.00 stick for $2 or $3, it's pass value is not $7.00?  

I've found so many nice people on this site, I'm not going to let a few cynical haters affect how I feel about the rest of you! Again, to the people who put themselves in my shoes for a moment, thank you.

Good on you for stepping up to fix the issue.  

For your questions, if a cigar was received as a gift we generally use CI or Famous pricing.  I think the issue lies with sticks such as Gurkha and Varina Farms.  While they have an MSRP on those sites, they are generally inflated just to show a large discount.  So in general, we do not consider a $10 MSRP Gurkha a $10 stick in a pass, in fact we generally would ask not to put sticks such as that in a pass.

If you are new to passes, it is easy to make a mistake, so the first thing to do is run puts and takes by the moderator.  If they are OK with it, then it is a go.  But in private, it is easy to explain why a stick may not fit in a pass, instead of running into larger problems like this.  Once you have a feel, you know the ones that are not generally wanted in a pass so you avoid them.  

For me, passes are not just about what I get from them, it's just a fun way to interact with the geek community.  Most of us shoot to put more than we take and we get a couple sticks we may not have or have wanted to try.  Don't get to upset with people questioning you, just answer them.  If it is screwed, make it right.  If you and the mod are cool, then we are all cool.  Just a little communication goes a long way.  Hope this helps.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

ninfiction

This is not the admin you're looking for...

danb6177

QuoteStogieDad - 8/18/2017  2:20 PM

QuoteLarryPM - 8/18/2017  1:26 PM

Good on you for stepping up to fix the issue.  

For your questions, if a cigar was received as a gift we generally use CI or Famous pricing.  I think the issue lies with sticks such as Gurkha and Varina Farms.  While they have an MSRP on those sites, they are generally inflated just to show a large discount.  So in general, we do not consider a $10 MSRP Gurkha a $10 stick in a pass, in fact we generally would ask not to put sticks such as that in a pass.

If you are new to passes, it is easy to make a mistake, so the first thing to do is run puts and takes by the moderator.  If they are OK with it, then it is a go.  But in private, it is easy to explain why a stick may not fit in a pass, instead of running into larger problems like this.  Once you have a feel, you know the ones that are not generally wanted in a pass so you avoid them.  

For me, passes are not just about what I get from them, it's just a fun way to interact with the geek community.  Most of us shoot to put more than we take and we get a couple sticks we may not have or have wanted to try.  Don't get to upset with people questioning you, just answer them.  If it is screwed, make it right.  If you and the mod are cool, then we are all cool.  Just a little communication goes a long way.  Hope this helps.

Well said Michael  :bigthumbs:
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----

Cfickter

Well said Michael

Gurkhas are notorious for MSRP over hype.  You don't see the Crest XO on the sites like CI or Famous.  Cigar Place shows an MSRP of $535 for a box of 20.  But the discount 83% so it sells for $4

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

LarryPM

I agree, good post all around on the intricacies of the pass.  I have been out of my lane and then made a mistake on top of that.  Now I'm just waiting to hear from Kevin in NC and the mod to get their agreement my solution is acceptable. I wouldn't have cared about people questioning what I did, if they'd been at all respectful.  But being called a douchebag and a cheat?  Really?  Glad you're not teaching my kids or the minister at my church.

LarryPM

I agree, good post all around on the intricacies of the pass.  I have been out of my lane and then made a mistake on top of that.  Now I'm just waiting to hear from Kevin in NC and the mod to get their agreement my solution is acceptable. I wouldn't have cared about people questioning what I did, if they'd been at all respectful.  But being called a douchebag and a cheat?  Really?  Glad you're not teaching my kids or the minister at my church.

Chrism305

I will grab the sticks in question for when my brother-in-law comes over for a visit. No sense sending out extra boxes and spending $$ on extra shipping to fix. I will cover Larry so we can get back to warm and fuzzy.

danb6177

QuoteLarryPM - 8/18/2017  3:35 PM

well to be fair...Act of Douchebaggery was said but thats not really calling you a douchebag. just the act. And I dont remember someone saying you are a cheat, maybe I missed it

Look you can say what you want about the people here for the way they question your actions....or you can not act that way so they have no reason to question you. Take your time, read the rules, do a little research, ask questions.
-----

DonM

Good of you to assist Chris!  

Pass etiquette can and has been a struggle on occasion and there are articles on passes here on the CG  site. I normally do not get involved in a discrepancy when not a member of the pass, but for future reference, if there are puts/takes that are in question it is best to go PM to the moderator prior to shipping so that it is not an issue. Some cigars are no longer available or rare and harder to determine actual value.  Others ie Gurkha may have a high msrp but sell at dogrocket prices.  

I am glad to see that this one is being resolved between parties to remedy the situation.

I am a bit confused as to why the admins are considering guidelines on pass participants as the moderator at present has the responsibility to maintain order in their pass IMO.  

Oh, and Curmudgeons rule!

"The Curmudgeon"

05Venturer

Quotedanb6177 - 8/18/2017  3:28 PM

QuoteLarryPM - 8/18/2017  3:35 PM

well to be fair...Act of Douchebaggery was said but thats not really calling you a douchebag. just the act. And I dont remember someone saying you are a cheat, maybe I missed it

Look you can say what you want about the people here for the way they question your actions....or you can not act that way so they have no reason to question you. Take your time, read the rules, do a little research, ask questions.

^^^ This =  :bigthumbs:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

klamm143

Hey guys.....Just FYI........I talked with Brian via phone Friday Morning. He and I agreed to a plan to fix it, so take my word - when the sticks hit transit again by Tuesday - all will be as it should be. Basically, I will make it right since it's in my hands now. Larry - don't worry about sending sticks or money as it would be to much of a hassle to try and time it out to catch up with the pass. I told Brian that I would go ahead and process this out and not wait on money or sticks since I did not want others to have to wait on account of this "Hiccup". If you want to do something with Brian - then that's up to you two to work out. I got you covered on this one. I'm basically going to pull the 2 sticks in question and replace with something more inline with what was expected - along with some geek math applied.

This is just my humble $.02 worth - we all make flubs and mistakes. What Michael said was spot on. But here's something he didn't say - that rings true. The guys on here are stand up dudes - I'm still relatively new to the site and several of these guys have been great mentors. I've blow up several inboxes, emails, PM's and phones over the last 4 months. All these folks are here to help and they have all answered me back quickly. I say this because you posted your knowledge was not up to theirs. THEY will share with you and help you if you ask - or stay active in the threads and read over things on the site. I promise you this is not intended to sound like preaching - but I want you to rest assured that the "old guards" on here have forgotten more about cigars than you or I will probably ever learn - but they will all share their advice, knowledge and friendship - if you ask.

Now - back to business. I picked up the package late this afternoon. I'll work on it and get it out Monday or Tuesday at the latest. Stay safe Brothers.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.