Suggestions for "Pick Me A Cigar To Smoke"

Started by Trblmkr, 07/14/2017 06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trblmkr

What are the possibilities of being able to add a search function to this capability.  I love the fact that I can just hit this button and the site will pick a cigar for me, but what I think would be really great is if we had a choice like you do when you add a new Cigar to the database (Mild/Mild-Med/Med/Med-Full/Full).  This way, if you want something Mild for your morning smoke you can just click on the "Mild" box and it will only search through your humidor for "Mild" smokes.  Currently, you have to keep hitting the "Pick me a new one" until you come across a Mild smoke.

"Export Humidors to Excel" how hard would it be to add the same to the export.  Ne Column showing you what the strength of that particular cigar.

Thanks for listening and hope this can be accomplished without to much efforts.

Cheers
I am Nobody
Nobody is Perfect
Therefore, I am Perfect

Cfickter

Not a bad idea, I would second that suggestion!
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Olddog

Concur would be a nice feature if possible to code in
"Honest men, with pipes or cigars in their mouths, have great physical advantages in conversation. You may stop talking if you like, but the breaks of silence never seem disagreeable, being filled up by the puffing of smoke." - William Makepeace Thackeray

BrockDB

Was just thinking about this yesterday. Concur with suggestion.
- Brock

"Some people meditate; I smoke cigars..." - Ron Perlman

SKOL VIKINGS!

klamm143

Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

bstessl

the only problem with this is that they would have to go back and assign every single cigar in the database a strength, at least that how it seems to me.  Otherwise, this is a great idea!
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

05Venturer

Quotebstessl - 7/14/2017  1:42 PM

the only problem with this is that they would have to go back and assign every single cigar in the database a strength, at least that how it seems to me.  Otherwise, this is a great idea!
You mean like this??

Strength   Rating
Anacaona Churchill   7   48   DR   DR   CTS/ECU   Colorado Claro   Mild   
[Rate It!]
Anacaona Corona   5.75   43   DR   DR   CTS/ECU   Colorado Claro   Mild   
[Rate It!]
Anacaona Perfecto   5   51   DR   DR   CTS/ECU   Colorado Claro   Mild   
[Rate It!]
Anacaona Robusto   4.75   52   DR   DR   CTS/ECU   Colorado Claro   Mild   
[Rate It!]
Anacaona Toro   6   50   DR   DR   CTS/ECU   Colorado Claro   Mild   
[Rate It!]
Anacaona Torpedo   6.25   52   DR   DR   CTS/ECU   Colorado Claro   Mild   
[Rate It!]
CAO Amazon Basin 2 Photos   6   52   NIC   BRA/CBCS/NIC   ECU/SUM   Colorado Maduro   Medium-Full   10 Review(s)
[Rate It!]
CAO America Anthem 3 Photos   8.5   50   NIC   CT/DR/ITA/NIC/USA   CTB/CTS/USA   Multiple   Full
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

bstessl

Disregard my last statement... Lol.  I missed that column.
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

MacMac

I understood Apple will not allow the app to be updated because it "promotes" cigars?  ??
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Trblmkr

QuoteMacMac - 7/14/2017  8:34 PM

I understood Apple will not allow the app to be updated because it "promotes" cigars?  ??

I rarely if ever use this on my android phone, I use it more on my desktop then anything.
I am Nobody
Nobody is Perfect
Therefore, I am Perfect

Trblmkr

Any traction on this?? I'm assuming since I haven't seen anything here about it, that our gracious host hasn't seen it, or is to busy to implement this.  I would really like to see this implemented to help make the site just a little bit better.

Thanks for the consideration.
I am Nobody
Nobody is Perfect
Therefore, I am Perfect

sar127

Honestly, humidor diving is one of the funnest parts of the hobby. Don't really get why that should be automated.  :confused:
Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

Trblmkr

Quotesar127 - 8/10/2017  8:23 AM

Honestly, humidor diving is one of the funnest parts of the hobby. Don't really get why that should be automated.  :confused:

Sometimes I just want to be able to use the "pick me a cigar" feature and say I want a mild one in the morning with my coffee.  I've got my coffee already, and I'm ready to go out on the patio. I don't have time to go digging through 40 box and 300+ cigars to find a "mild" smoke (some member here have bigger collections then I do), when there' something readily available at my fingers that can pick something for me (if this option was available).  

I wanted a mild smoke over the weekend and I literally clicked 45 times before the "pick me a cigar" chose a mild selection.  In this case, it probably would have been faster for me to just "decide" what I wanted. And if that's the case, what's the point of the "pick me a cigar" button?
I am Nobody
Nobody is Perfect
Therefore, I am Perfect

Trblmkr

I am Nobody
Nobody is Perfect
Therefore, I am Perfect

05Venturer

QuoteTrblmkr - 8/10/2017  8:49 AM

Sometimes I just want to be able to use the "pick me a cigar" feature and say I want a mild one in the morning with my coffee.  I've got my coffee already, and I'm ready to go out on the patio. I don't have time to go digging through 40 box and 300+ cigars to find a "mild" smoke (some member here have bigger collections then I do), when there' something readily available at my fingers that can pick something for me (if this option was available).  

I wanted a mild smoke over the weekend and I literally clicked 45 times before the "pick me a cigar" chose a mild selection.  In this case, it probably would have been faster for me to just "decide" what I wanted. And if that's the case, what's the point of the "pick me a cigar" button?

The point of pick me a cigar is for those indecisive cigar smokers such as yourself apparently. If you clicked 45 times to find a cigar you do have a problem and "Honestly" adding this feature won't solve it.  :confused:  :lmao:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Trblmkr

Quote05Venturer - 11/9/2017  10:22 AM

QuoteTrblmkr - 8/10/2017  8:49 AM

The point of pick me a cigar is for those indecisive cigar smokers such as yourself apparently. If you clicked 45 times to find a cigar you do have a problem and "Honestly" adding this feature won't solve it.  :confused:  :lmao:

I disagree with you.. because out of the 45 cigars it gave me all of them were full bodied or med-full, when I was looking for something that was MILD!!  I've resulted in exporting my own humidors and creating a search function for strength and creating my own "random" search function in Excel.  Which I know can be done even easier here buy just adding a drop down menu for the "pick me a cigar".  I'm not sure why the admin's haven't responded to this, since there is obvious interest in it for the whole community.
I am Nobody
Nobody is Perfect
Therefore, I am Perfect

ninfiction

QuoteTrblmkr - 3/29/2018  10:03 AM

I disagree with you.. because out of the 45 cigars it gave me all of them were full bodied or med-full, when I was looking for something that was MILD!!  I've resulted in exporting my own humidors and creating a search function for strength and creating my own "random" search function in Excel.  Which I know can be done even easier here buy just adding a drop down menu for the "pick me a cigar".  I'm not sure why the admin's haven't responded to this, since there is obvious interest in it for the whole community.

I can tell you why none of the admins have replied, because none of us can help with any of those changes.

The one person that could implement any changes is very busy with life outside of the website.

I wish I could give you more of an answer/help.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Trblmkr

Quoteninfiction - 3/29/2018  11:26 AM

I can tell you why none of the admins have replied, because none of us can help with any of those changes.

The one person that could implement any changes is very busy with life outside of the website.

Thanks for the update.. having experience with databases, I would think it wouldn't take more then a few minutes (depending on how the database is created).  I appreciate the info though.
I am Nobody
Nobody is Perfect
Therefore, I am Perfect

Brlesq

QuoteTrblmkr - 7/31/2018  7:31 AM

Quoteninfiction - 3/29/2018  11:26 AM

Thanks for the update.. having experience with databases, I would think it wouldn't take more then a few minutes (depending on how the database is created).  I appreciate the info though.

Well if you have such experience, why don't you export the data and set it up for yourself? Its only going to take you a few minutes (according to you). My guess is that you only have a few mild ones in that 300 collection of yours, or you would have had much better results.  And if you only have a few, you are going to know exactly what they are and where to find them.  

Your suggestion would certainly be an improvement, but this website is somebody's side hobby, not his priority.  Most of us are grateful that he takes enough time out of his busy life to keep it running for the past 10 years.

But what has entertained me most about this thread is that you didn't have the time to look through only 300 cigars to find a mild one, but you had time to hit the random button 45 times!  

You-->:hypno:<--Random button

:lmao:  

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Silverstix

I have never used the "pick me a cigar" feature, but I could see how it is nice to have if you wanna have some fun and roll the dice.  I usually just use my brain to decide which cigar to smoke, if I want a mild one I use that big ol' noggin to think of which mild one I wanna smoke.  Same process for a full one.  It gets a little tricky with medium-full or mild-medium though, I'm only human after all. :confused:

Chefjohn

I'm still in the process of learning flavors, characteristics of certain brands and types as well as my own personal preferences. What I have learned thus far is to not smoke one that is going to be strong on it's nicotine punch on an empty stomach.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.