Dave S.

Review: Kevin's (wescat) Mystery Stick

Humidor Date: March 29, 2010
Smoke Date: April 3, 2010
Smoke Time: 1 Hour 45 Minutes
Vendor: Kevin (wescat), Freebie with Camacho Liberties
Weight: 0.7 oz.
Beverage: Captain Morgan Private Stock

Pre-light—This wasn't the most beautiful cigar one's seen, but the construction was solid.  It had the look of either a second or a knock-off.  The wrapper was uniform, but it had a splotchy appearance and a blemish at mid-point.  The color was between mid- and dark-brown; the seams were barely visible; its veins were average in number and size, except for two large ones; it appeared to have a triple cap; it had no hard or soft spots; and it's body was hard.  The wrapper smelled like caramel and grass, and the draw tasted like hay, spice, and coffee.

1/3—After a double guillotine cut and a normal light, it produced an average volume of smoke.  The smoke's aroma was excellent, mild, and smelled of an unidentifiable sweetness, maybe chocolate.  The draw was very good but tight, and it remained a little tight throughout.  The burn was excellent, hanging in below 1/4" peak-to-valley.  The ash was grey, firmer than normal, and held to 11/4" through the section.  The strength appeared to be mild – medium, where it remained from beginning to end.  The flavor profile was subtle, but excellent.  It included an earthiness, coffee, and a sweetness that appeared to be chocolate or caramel.

2/3—The burn deteriorated just a little going to 1/4" peak-to-valley, which was still excellent, and the ash got flakey, holding to between 1/2" and 3/4".  The flavor profile included cedar, a hint of nuttiness, leather, and an earthy flavor.

Final 1/3—The burn improved to less than 1/4" peak-to-valley again, and the ash got much firmer, holding to just over 11/4".  The flavor profile varied between cedar, earth, leather, and tobacco.

Verdict—This was a very good cigar.  The only real issue was the appearance of the wrapper, which had a blemish and whose color was somewhat blotchy.  Other than that, it seemed first rate.  Except for an average volume of smoke, the smoking characteristics were superior, particularly the burn.  It required no re-lights or touch-ups.  The flavor profile was dynamic, subtle, and very enjoyable.  Besides the flavors I could identify (or identify incorrectly), there appeared to be a couple I couldn't put my finger on.  I liked this cigar . . . whatever it was.

Rating: * * * * (four stars)

Keep some in the humidor!
"There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry."

George Armstrong Custer

wescat

Thank you Dave, very well written review. I wonder who all else has burned the mystery stick and written their review? I know Nathan burned his the day he opened the package. When all are written, I'll post the mystery sticks identity.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

ratboy

Ive been sick as a dog all week. Once I am on the mend this will be the first one I light up and get a review out. Thanks!

wescat

Quoteratboy - 4/4/2010  5:41 PM

Ive been sick as a dog all week. Once I am on the mend this will be the first one I light up and get a review out. Thanks!
Get to feeleing better soon, Rich.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

nwb

Here is my review.  It was a really solid cigar, and I'm hoping it was a cheapie so I can pick up some more.  I'm guessing it is a Nicaraguan, possibly an Illusione.

Prelight – This is a good looking cigar, dark, oily, with a slightly mottled wrapper.  The color is a dark brown, and the construction seems very good.  There are no large veins, no seams, and the bunch is firm with no soft spots.  The aroma is earthy and rich, and the prelight draw tastes much the same with some sweetness.

1/2 - Opens with a nice, smooth cocoa flavor that was really enjoyable.  There was little spice or pepper, but the creaminess from the smoke really coated the palate.  The burn was very straight, holding for a couple of inches, and the draw allowed for billowing clouds of smoke.

2/2 – From the midpoint to the nub, a wonderful array of flavors entered the profile, some lasting only a moment, and others lasting an inch or two.  Caramel, mild spices, cocoa, and espresso all added complexity to the smoke.  Again, the construction remained good, and each ash grew to a couple of inches long before falling.

Overall, this was a really good medium-bodied, full-flavored cigar.  The construction left nothing to be desired, and the flavors were both robust and complex.  A solid four star smoke.

nwb
Chief of Shaft

wescat

Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Jackal

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Jackal

Thank you Kevin for giving me this cigar.

Sorry for the delay.  I smoked mine on Tuesday accompanying it with a rum and coke.

Appearance was not great.  It had very visible wrapper lines and a huge bulging vein running down its length.  It was slightly oily and had a consistant tooth to it.

I clipped the head and it came apart and the top of the cigar started to unwrap.  I cut off the wrapper at the head and that held things together long enough to let me smoke this big beast.

The opening flavors were that of leather and a touch of brown spices.  The flavor wasn't very bold as if it hadn't had the chance to really set in the tobacco.  I was thinking to myself at this point that I was dealing with a Man O War second or a store blend made by Don Pepin or Alec Bradley.  I figured that I was in for an hour or two of highly disappointing cigar.

About an inch and a half in things turned around quite unexpectedly.  A sweetness entered the flavor profile and oak, a bunch of brown spices and fruitiness came into being.  An excellent complexity of these flavors emerged.

I proceeded to enjoy this cigar for the next hour and a half.  An excellent sweet profile kept me interested and continued down to the last inch or so, where a new combination of fruitiness and floral tastes came into being.

I nubbed this cigar and was very happy with the experience.  

The burn on this cigar was excellent.  I did need one  touch up at the nub, but for a cigar of this length, it burned like a champ.  Ash for the most part was very firm and held on like it was glued on.

I am still guessing that this is a store brand made by AB.

What is it?

wescat

Richard, Jerry, do y'all plan to review the mystery stick before I post its identity?
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

ratboy

Quotewescat - 4/16/2010  12:25 PM

Richard, Jerry, do y'all plan to review the mystery stick before I post its identity?

Thanks for your patience Ill do it today.

southernpacifico

Quoteratboy - 5/6/2010  8:27 PM

Quotewescat - 4/16/2010  12:25 PM

Thanks for your patience Ill do it today.

DITTO,

Sorry for the delay, I will burn it and review it over the week end.

:hitme:
Things I believe:
Life is too short not to pull the trigger!
The best cigar, I haven't smoked yet.
Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another Scotch (Beer, Rum, Bourbon..) and Cigar!! The choices are endless......
SMOKE ON BOTLs

wescat

That'll work, thanks.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

ratboy

On inspection the cigar had a nice sheen of  oil on it, with a nice weight in the hand, the were some unattractive large veins all and all not winning a beauty contest but still very serviceable. Reminds of an Olar I had a while back. Next came a problem, I clipped the cap and it immediately began to unravel. Had to double puff to get the amount of smoke I prefer but still lasted for well over 2 hours. In that time I went from a woodsy light smoke and moved into a medium leather and wood smoke. I WAS really puffing on i and it kept going and going. Just as i got to where I was really enjoying it (sweetness and brown sugar spices)the cap came undone. Apparently the mixing of my saliva with the cap was just enough for the wrapper to unravel and stick to give up on me. I even tried to smoke it with no wrapper but no luck. As a plus the smoke had some of the best ash I have ever seen, I'd like to try again sometime if the price is right. Thank you Wescat for thinking of me and hooking me up.

southernpacifico

Kevin and BOTL's

Coffee is brewing, the chair, cutter and torch are ready.

Now where did I put that cigar :confused:  :confused:

Oh here it is, WTF A Dark Shark  :-0  :-0

:lmao:  :lmao:

Thanks Kevin, looking forward to the mystery Stogie :biggrin:
Things I believe:
Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another Scotch (Beer, Rum, Bourbon..) and Cigar!! The choices are endless......
SMOKE ON BOTLs

southernpacifico

Things I believe:
SMOKE ON BOTLs

wescat

The mystery stick was a Rocky Patel Factory Select Toro. Some liked it some didn't; it is my daily GoTo cigar. When I last stocked up on these in Jan/08, I got them for $2.50 Most of these are very good smokes, about 1 in 7 isn't. Thanks for the reviews !

Did anyone like the La Flor de Cano?
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Dave S.

Quotewescat - 5/9/2010  8:58 AM

The mystery stick was a Rocky Patel Factory Select Toro. Some liked it some didn't . . . .

I'm one that liked it.  Thanks again, Kevin, for the Liberties and the mystery stick!
"There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry."

George Armstrong Custer

Jackal

The RP factory select 52 ring gauge torpedoes are on the monster for $37 for a box of 20.

southernpacifico

Kevin,

I was one that didn't like so well...

Thanks for the Liberty split and the mystery smoke. :bow:
Things I believe:
SMOKE ON BOTLs

southernpacifico

Things I believe:
SMOKE ON BOTLs

wescat

Quotesouthernpacifico - 5/9/2010  7:07 PM

Kevin,
Was it a corojo or maduro??

It was most likely a Corojo. Back when I stocked up, they didn't have so many different versions of the Factory Select (which is just the best of his seconds). Out of the 300 or so of them I bought, about 40 were Maduro's, and then I blended them all together. The good ones are very tasty, damn good cigar, especially for $2.50. I like the Corojo much better than the Maduro: http://www.famous-smoke.com/rocky+patel+factory+selects+original+toro+cigars/item+28849
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

nwb

I enjoyed the one I had very much.  Thanks!

nwb
Chief of Shaft

BlackIrish

Ok -- I finally smoked this mystery cigar.   I haven't read this thread in weeks  and am posting this review without looking at any prior posts in this thread, in case the mystery has been revealed.  I'll post my notes, then go back and read this thread and see if Kevin tells me what cigar this is so I can post a review in the DB:

+++

Toro.  Colorado maduro.  Well wrapped, fairly evenly colored, good seams.  Solid, no soft spots.  Not much prelight aroma.  
Double cap clips easily, excellent draw
Dark chocolate, hint of orange on cold draw.

Lit easily, lots of smoke.  Lots!  And wisps from head.

First inch:
Dark chocolate, taste of hay on the finish on first couple of puffs.  Dark, smooth.  Easy to retrohale.
Chocolate, earth.  Hay disappears.  
Medium body and flavor.  Hint of sweetness.
Clean finish.  

Very straight burn.   Good ash, striated gray & black. Firm, tight.

Just got a cedar note.  And a cinnamon note.  There's a very slight sweetness on the exhale.

Burn still good, ash 1" long.  Tip it at 1.5 inches, perfect cone.

Small bulge ahead of burn, small crack appears in wrapper.  It doesn't affect smoking, burn right through it without problem.  In the last third the wrapper lifts a bit at seam; burn gets wobbly, so give it a touch up

Flavor remains same through middle third:  dark chocolatey, smooth, slight sweet note on exhale, short clean finish

Ash 1.5".  Tipped.

Flavor has stayed pretty consistent throughout - but now there are some new flavors in last third - nuttiness, almond.   A puff brings a really delicious coffee note.  Then a little warm pepper.

A very good smoke, not stupendous, but very enjoyable, particularly  last third.  Would smoke again.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

ratboy

I am going to pick up a few of these to try again, other than the construction issue I enjoyed it. I didnt pick up some of the flavors others did so I am definitely interested to find out if I just had an odd one.

BlackIrish

(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.