qman22
Turboknat
Joker 7037
Anthony

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

Proph

Don Tomas is the only one I've found that was made the old fashioned way.. all the newer ones are new cigars with a candela wrapper.  I guess candela kinda died.  The newer ones are not as mild as the real ones.  I guess when the embargo happened it killed candela..?  I dunno.
"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

NewGuy

Add sticks to the pass list! This bad boy is taking shape.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

ljlemer

QuoteProph - 1/10/2008  6:44 PM

Don Tomas is the only one I've found that was made the old fashioned way.. all the newer ones are new cigars with a candela wrapper.  I guess candela kinda died.  The newer ones are not as mild as the real ones.  I guess when the embargo happened it killed candela..?  I dunno.

It's probably reduced demand, because any leaf can be processed into a candela, maybe not a good one, just like a maduro can. Obviously they have their favorite leaves, but no embargo can affect that. About 40 years ago, when I first tried cigars, every shop sold Berings, a cheap but smokeable candela cigar for the impoverished masses who were too fancy to smoke a White Owl. It was machine made but had a real candela leaf wrapper. I smoked a lot of them. They no longer make them. What I enjoy most about candelas nowadays is the nostalgia.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Proph

Ahh.  I guess I should learn the ancient art of the candela then, and roll my own.  :)
"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

ljlemer

QuoteProph - 1/10/2008  11:28 PM

Ahh.  I guess I should learn the ancient art of the candela then, and roll my own.  :)

How's your tobacco farm coming along?

Thomas Mann

Proph

Well, this Spring/Summer I'll be learning to roll from a master roller.  And, maybe by the end of the year I'll have been to Central America to scout some land.  

:-)

ljlemer

QuoteProph - 1/11/2008  1:19 PM

Well, this Spring/Summer I'll be learning to roll from a master roller.  And, maybe by the end of the year I'll have been to Central America to scout some land.  

:-)

Why not hydroponic in a heated room here?

Thomas Mann

qman22

Rack, when u gonna kick this bad boy off?
Lets GOOOOOOOO Mountaineers!

NewGuy

Quoteqman22 - 1/14/2008  6:50 PM

Rack, when u gonna kick this bad boy off?

I've got the horses in the gates snorting over the bar waiting for the bell! By that I mean I'm putting the final touches on the cigars to start with.
The count down has started - standby..........

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

NewGuy

OK, we've got ten players and seven outstanding invitations. I will give the remaining invitees a couple of more days to respond and then we off - with them or without them.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

NewGuy

If the system allows changes after the start we could start as soon as Paul gets back and closes the Holiday Pass! Gentlemen, start your humidors  :thumbsup:

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

SenorPablo

I'm baaaaack!  I just closed the previous Pass out.  Now i'm ready to roll onto this one.  You may fire when ready!   :shotgun:

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

mhuss

QuoteSenorPablo - 1/18/2008  10:14 PM

I'm baaaaack!  I just closed the previous Pass out.  Now i'm ready to roll onto this one.  You may fire when ready!   :shotgun:

-Paul

How was the rest of your trip?  Did you get a chance to uncover any other awesome cigar shops, or at least enjoy a fine smoke in Charleston?

SenorPablo

Quotemhuss - 1/19/2008  12:23 AM
How was the rest of your trip?  Did you get a chance to uncover any other awesome cigar shops, or at least enjoy a fine smoke in Charleston?

I found one other cool shop called The Smoking Lamp.  They had a really nice selection of some harder to find premium cigars.  I got an Ashton ESG, RP Decade, and a couple Anejos from there.  Real nice folks working there as well who knew their stuff, which was nice.  

I'm sick of going into places where the folks working there don't smoke cigars and dont really know much about them.  There's a few like that local to me here at home.

All in all my favorite place had to have been the Club Habana up stairs in the Tinderbox.  Great little cigar bar, and the only place in Charleston you can still smoke inside.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

mhuss

QuoteSenorPablo - 1/19/2008  10:30 AM
I got an Ashton ESG, RP Decade, and a couple Anejos from there.

Anejos, huh?    :thumbsup:    Any chance you would be willing to part with one in a trade?  I asked at CI and they said they don't carry them.  So I have no idea where to go to find them (besides CIBid, maybe).

SenorPablo

Quotemhuss - 1/19/2008  12:11 PM

Anejos, huh?    :thumbsup:    Any chance you would be willing to part with one in a trade?  I asked at CI and they said they don't carry them.  So I have no idea where to go to find them (besides CIBid, maybe).

I think I will hold onto these babies.  I was only able to get 2 of them.

ljlemer

QuoteProph - 1/10/2008  6:44 PM

I found some Candela Puros Indios in one of my humidors, while looking for something I haven't already reviewed. I already reviewed them. Have you tried them?

Thomas Mann

mhuss

QuoteSenorPablo - 1/19/2008  10:24 PM
I think I will hold onto these babies.  I was only able to get 2 of them.

I don't blame you.  They seem very hard to find.  Just thought I'd try!

NewGuy

Welcome back Paul

I am also back from a weekend of travel to COLD-lanta, GA. I will put the finishes touches on the cigar list and start the pass!

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

NewGuy

The Stogie Pass is packed and ready to ship, the list is closed, and the cigars updated! Post office is closed tomorrow. I will advise of any and all progress.

Stogie up boys  :cigarman:

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

NewGuy

Here is the pass order:

NewGuy
Sticks
ljlemer
qman22
joker7037
MX1
Anthony
mhuss
Turboknat
SenorPablo

and the Stogie Pass is under way the first transition will occur early this week!

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

NewGuy

The Cigar List looks pretty good. I can't get it to copy and paste here so we'll have to visit the Stogie Pass page from the home page to check out the goodies!

Rack  

Rack

"Man is not an island"

ljlemer

QuoteNewGuy - 1/20/2008  10:43 PM

The Cigar List looks pretty good. I can't get it to copy and paste here so we'll have to visit the Stogie Pass page from the home page to check out the goodies!

Rack  

Current List of Cigars
1.    A. Fuente 8-5-8 Candela
2.    Camacho Corona
3.    CAO Gold Perfecto
4.    CAO MX2 Belicoso
5.    Carlos Torano 1916
6.    Cigar International Legend Yellow - Pepin Garcia
7.    Cigar International Legend Yellow - Pepin Garcia
8.    Cigar International Legend Yellow - Pepin Garcia
9.    Cohiba VX 550
10.    Diamond Crown Robusto
11.    Fonseca Robusto
12.    Graycliff Profesionale PG
13.    Gurhka Fuerte Churchill
14.    Indian Tobac Maduro Topedeo
15.    Joya De Nicaragua Gran Consul
16.    Montecristo Peruvian Buena Fortuna Maduro
17.    Nat Sherman Metropolitan Selection Banker
18.    Oliveros Churchill
19.    Padilla 8 /11 Miami Torpedo
20.    Partagas Aristocrat Torpedo
21.    Perdomo Reserve Robusto
22.    Pueblo Dominicano Torpedo

Thomas Mann

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.