Smaller cigars and lower RH

Started by monteclaro, 07/29/2007 04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monteclaro

Since we were on the topic of smaller ring guages I decided to upll out a Macanudo Maduro Ascot i've had for awhile.  It was kind of a hard draw.  We had one about 3 months ago and it was fine.  I was trying to think about what might have happened since then and I know one thing that changed was the RH in my hunidor.  Previously I had it at about 65.  Lately its been up around 70, which is probably too high for my taste anyway.  But I think that may be the difference.

I have had other cigars lately (Robustos and such) which have been fine.  So i'm thinking that the smaller rings need to be kept at a lower RH.  Anyone else notice this?

JF
Hmmm...what to smoke, what to smoke...
http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/default....mber=monteclaro

Anthony

I haven't noticed this personally, but it does make sense.

I actually keep my stuff around 70% though.
_____

theoldcc

I don't typically smoke the smaller ring guages but I could see how that might make sense.  Did they swell at as well - the wrapper split more than usual.  That's usually a sign of a cigar too high on RH.

*P
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

SenorPablo

I haven't heard of this before, but I guess it makes sense.  The big thing I notice when cigars are over humidified are that they start coming apart or splitting.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

paulian3

I absolutely agree.  Lower humidity equals no plugs.  Especially important for that small minority of us who prefer corona- and petite corona-sized smokes!  Oh, it's also nice not to have cigars bursting on light-up anymore...

Paul

Turboknat

Is that because the fillers absorbe more moisture in some parts than in others, and the more moist parts swell like a sponge and create kind of a plug?  I thought of the whole cigar as one sponge, but it sounds more like it is made up of several distinct pieces that react differently in moist conditions

ljlemer

QuoteTurboknat - 1/26/2008  10:39 AM

Is that because the fillers absorbe more moisture in some parts than in others, and the more moist parts swell like a sponge and create kind of a plug?  I thought of the whole cigar as one sponge, but it sounds more like it is made up of several distinct pieces that react differently in moist conditions

I think you're probably on to something. Even puros usually have more than one leaf in them and most cigars have leaves from a few countries. It makes sense that what fit right at the original humidity, usually on the wet side, having dried, will burst its seams when humidified at different rates, each leaf reacting differently. Also remember that the outer leaves get moister faster. The center of the stick might not get any if we're talking about a rapid rehumidification. Time is the important factor. You have to let changes happen slowly so the cigar can adjust and the leaves can remarry, so to speak.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

ChipCurser

I read somewhere that this person always lets his cigar sit out for an hour or so before lighting up.  I also read someone else takes all his cigars out for that day to let them dry a little.  I have not tried either, except for when I get a fresh rolled cigar at my cigar shop where he has rollers right there.  Letting the fresh rolled ones sit an hour seems to help.  Try letting your next one sit out a while and see if it is any different.  If it is then you are probably right about the rh level.  I already think you are, but any excuse to smoke another cigar is always welcome, at least where I am sitting. LOL
ChipC

FNA

Hello all.

First let me say I would not guess as to what might be happening to cigars in my humidor, based on an experience with one cigar.

Maybe the Ascot that didn't draw well was constructed poorly.

As to the idea of keeping smaller cigars in different RH, do you guys segregate your cigars by shape or size?  I don't. Well, alright, I do have a small box with nothing but panetelas, but generally speaking  I have giants in the same cabinet with cigarillos and everything in between.

I haven't noticed any problem with the slimmer shapes.

As to whether different cigar varietals absorb/shed moisture at different rates, I don't know if they do, but if there is a significant difference and it caused cigar construction issues, wouldn't you think the manufacturers would have noticed it and done something about it  over the last century and a half or so?  Of course, sometimes it is the same varietal just grown in a different geographic location.

I think the key thing to remember is one cigar does not a box make.

SenorPablo

Well put FNA!  I personally have not noticed too many issues with smaller ring guages.  But then again I don't smoke many of them.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Turboknat

I don't separate my cigars.  I haven't had a problem with them.  I will separate my flavored cigars, if I have any, only because I don't want those flavors to leech into my traditional cigars.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.