Cigar reviews.....is it just me or?

Started by Silverstix, 07/26/2017 11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

QuoteJackal - 7/27/2017  5:36 PM

The terms aging and resting are getting conflated here.

Resting is the short term (few days to a month or two) storage of cigars to allow them to equilibrate to the humidity of your humidor.

Aging is the longer term storage intended to allow chemical changes to occur in the cigar.  This may take many months to years to happen.

Most premium cigars are aged for a number of months after rolling to allow them to get out of their green/ sick period and be smokable.  Different manufacturers have determined what is an optimal initial aging for their cigars to mature, and store their cigars in aging rooms to achieve this goal.  Additional aging beyond this period is unlikely over just a few weeks or moths.

You will see a huge difference between a cigar that is ROTT and one that is properly rested.  There will most likely be little to no difference between a cigar that is adequately rested and one that has been aged for a few extra months.

Yup, Jackal speaks the gospel  :angel:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Brlesq

QuoteBeegerply - 7/27/2017  4:52 PM

Because my smoking habits have changed over the last few years almost all mine are ROTT the longest any of mine rest or age is about 3 months. I don't keep much of an inventory any more. So when I do a review which is few and far between they are mostly ROTT.  :biggrin:

Plus ROTT vs. aged doesn't much matter when they come in foil-fresh pouches.  :biggrin:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

toby2

QuoteBrlesq - 7/27/2017  8:41 PM  
QuoteBeegerply - 7/27/2017  4:52 PM  Because my smoking habits have changed over the last few years almost all mine are ROTT the longest any of mine rest or age is about 3 months. I don't keep much of an inventory any more. So when I do a review which is few and far between they are mostly ROTT.  :biggrin:
Plus ROTT vs. aged doesn't much matter when they come in foil-fresh pouches.  :biggrin:  

:lmao:

BewareDaPenguin

Interesting conversation. I almost always let my cigars rest n acclimate to my humidor. It's pretty rare I smoke one ROTT but it does happen. I hate digging in my humidor as well so most of the sticks I have in the bottom of my humidor have been well aged now lol. Lots of good points in this thread tho.
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Beegerply

Quotetoby2 - 7/27/2017  10:48 PM

QuoteBrlesq - 7/27/2017  8:41 PM  
QuoteBeegerply - 7/27/2017  4:52 PM  Because my smoking habits have changed over the last few years almost all mine are ROTT the longest any of mine rest or age is about 3 months. I don't keep much of an inventory any more. So when I do a review which is few and far between they are mostly ROTT.  :biggrin:

:lmao:

:lmao:  :lmao:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Silverstix

Quotesar127 - 7/27/2017  8:38 AM  Good point! But to expand even further, I'd like to know exactly HOW someone rests it. Everyone has their humidity preferences first of all and moreover, each cigar has it's ideal storage humidity levels too. Albeit there's only a few groups of humidity levels, it matters a lot imo. So I think that should be brought up as well.

+1 

Jackal

Resting of some cigars can take weeks.  CI is probably the most notorious.  

I used to joke that I didn't need a humidifier in my humidor, just needed to throw a 5 pack from CI in there, and my humidity will stay at 68+

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Cap10_Morgan

QuoteJackal - 7/28/2017  1:05 PM  Resting of some cigars can take weeks.  CI is probably the most notorious.    I used to joke that I didn't need a humidifier in my humidor, just needed to throw a 5 pack from CI in there, and my humidity will stay at 68+

Is there anything special you do to determine it has rested enough? Pinch test?  Or just practice and knowing CI takes more time, etc?

"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

Silverstix

QuoteJackal - 7/28/2017  1:05 PM  Resting of some cigars can take weeks.  CI is probably the most notorious.    I used to joke that I didn't need a humidifier in my humidor, just needed to throw a 5 pack from CI in there, and my humidity will stay at 68+

Agreed, CI is very bad.  I've had sticks from them that took 4 months to get down to 65%

toby2

FamousSmoke.com as well. very wet. they will pop if smoked right away at times.

on the other topic, some people (like me) like to put cigars away and forget about them. others think a rest is enough. Steve Saka has stated he likes fresh cigars over aged when it comes to his old signature line, LP, he blended for himself. me i like LP's when the band starts to change color. LFD is another that i like to forget about. some cigars get pretty crappy with age and you don't know until you try. i've seen some famous cigar world folks state once the fermentation is done that's it! and i guess they would know. maybe it's all in my head but i do like some age on the stick in most cases.

Olddog

Since the thread has made a turn to aging and such.  I received an email from Small Batch the other day and it had an attached article on a study done on what happens during shipping.  Sort of fits into this discussion of smoking ROTT and to some extent other items talked about here.  You can see the whole article at  https://www.smallbatchcigar.com/how-does-shipping-affect-cigars-temperature-humidity-and-you 
"Honest men, with pipes or cigars in their mouths, have great physical advantages in conversation. You may stop talking if you like, but the breaks of silence never seem disagreeable, being filled up by the puffing of smoke." - William Makepeace Thackeray

benchjockey

I received the same e-mail from Small Batch in which they recommend a 10-14 day resting period.
I'm another guy who usually waits 30 days.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Cap10_Morgan

I now started adding the "age" to my reviews... but mostly so you guys know they are pretty much ROTT, lol.
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

Silverstix

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 7/30/2017  10:42 AM  I now started adding the "age" to my reviews... but mostly so you guys know they are pretty much ROTT, lol.

LOL 

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.