Not a bourban fan but......

Started by tvolball, 10/27/2017 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyonbert

I'll try to look for a bottle of that and see if I could serve that to my acquaintance on the 4th of July.
Looking for specific 17-inch truck wheels that I could use for off-road driving. Any suggestions?

arrow34

I am also not a fan of Bourbon, I am a scotch guy.  I keep some Makers Mark and Woodford reserve on hand to keep my other brown liquid drinkers happy.

Kid Montana

(Edit: For posterity, since I got suckered into the same necro-thread twice) Woodford Reserve is respectable as a sipping whiskey and as a mixer.  Makers Mark is more of mixer, so if you think you're going to serve only mixed drinks, its a good choice.   Basil Hayden is an accessible "premium" bourbon if you have an avid bourbon fan on your hands.  I'd avoid Bulleit in all their forms; its fine, but over priced IMO.  Jim Beam punches above their price and is a good mixer and an acceptable sipping whiskey.  Belle Meade is on the sweet end of the range, as is 40 Creek.  Wild Turkey 101 is tough to beat in value/quality.  Wild Turkey Rare Breed is probably the best and most affordable cask strength.

I'd rather have a cigar...

calvarez

I'm a whore, and like all kinds of whisk(e)y.  Last night I had some Bulleit 10 year old with a couple of medium-strong sticks.  It was fantastic.  Cranks up both the mellow sweetness and the spice of Bulleit.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

CW Piperman

Eagle Rare 10y? Uses the same mash bill as Buffalo Trace; I really enjoy it's simplicity.

CW
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" --J.R.R. Tolkein, #Bilbo #LOTR #TFOTR

Humidor: http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=CW+Piperman

Brlesq

QuoteKid Montana - 9/13/2018  12:12 PM

QuoteBMMPuro-1022 - 10/31/2017  4:26 PM

You may consider a Rye. they are touted as the new Single Malt Scotch.
Willett Family Reserve 3yr old 112+ proof. mellows well with Spring Water
ice cubes. Bulleit is a very good spirit 95% rye content. 90 proof
many more available and becoming very popular..

Enjoy

Dang amigo, first post after 1 year signed up?  LOL.  Welcome.  Old Forester makes great stuff.

[edit: after looking at the comment dates, this is like the slowest burn bourbon discussion of all time. ]
[/b]

We're aging this thread discussion just like aging bourbon, Dan.  Both sit in the barrel for a long time and somebody takes a sip from time to time.  Not unlike some of the other threads we have going here as of late . . .

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

calvarez

I recently discovered a Mexican "bourbon."  It's whiskey, made in Mexico.  I was shocked how much it was like both tequila and bourbon.  So it might offend everyone, or it might be a great crossover for those who like one or the other.  My friends and I thought it was interesting and drinkable, great pairing for a medium to strong cigar.

https://sierranortewhiskey.com/

-- Me

Brlesq

Quotecalvarez - 7/22/2019  3:28 PM

I recently discovered a Mexican "bourbon."  It's whiskey, made in Mexico.  I was shocked how much it was like both tequila and bourbon.  So it might offend everyone, or it might be a great crossover for those who like one or the other.  My friends and I thought it was interesting and drinkable, great pairing for a medium to strong cigar.

https://sierranortewhiskey.com/

Carlos, I find Balconies Baby Blue Corn Whiskey to be the same. Reminds me of both Tequila and whiskey
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Cigary

Sometimes we find some great products like this...when I travel I tend to take tours like one we did in Jalisco, Mexico....and found Baluarte Tequila Reposado....mmmmmmm......this is great stuff and it rivals the Patrons and Don Julios IMO but at a better cost.  It is great straight..mixed or sipping with lime....it has a natural cooked agave taste....3 times distilled and a very easy aftertaste....so be careful because you'll drink more than you realize...esp. in the summer with higher than normal temps......if you abuse it I'll see you in the bano!

calvarez

QuoteBrlesq - 7/22/2019  12:55 PM

Carlos, I find Balconies Baby Blue Corn Whiskey to be the same. Reminds me of both Tequila and whiskey

We also had the Balcones recently, maybe the same day.  It has a hint of these flavors, while the Sierra Norte could be passed off as tequila I think.  It kind of in your face.  The Balcones is definitely the more refined and better drink, the Sierra Norte is the drunk pissed off redhead and you don't really understand what it's doing.

I like redheads.

-- Me

Brlesq

Quotecalvarez - 7/23/2019  12:43 PM

QuoteBrlesq - 7/22/2019  12:55 PM

We also had the Balcones recently, maybe the same day.  It has a hint of these flavors, while the Sierra Norte could be passed off as tequila I think.  It kind of in your face.  The Balcones is definitely the more refined and better drink, the Sierra Norte is the drunk pissed off redhead and you don't really understand what it's doing.

I like redheads.

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

ricoishere

Anyone tried Blade & Bow? It's a sipping bourbon, with a little spice in the beginning. I prefer it over Blanton's.
I got way too many cigars, too much booze, not many friends. Life is GRAND.
-Rico

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle." -George Burns

My humidor
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=ricoishere

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.