CigarGeeks Fantasy Baseball 2018 - 5th Annual

Started by StogieDad, 03/21/2018 07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StogieDad

Everybody should be ready to go, good luck fellas!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

ninfiction

And they're off!

I would guess there will be a lot of player movement in the next couple weeks. I don't even know half the guys on my team...
This is not the admin you're looking for...

StogieDad

Yea I apparently drafted 3 DL pitchers to start, one with a high pick.  This should be a fine mess to fix.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

johncw

QuoteStogieDad - 3/28/2018  12:07 PM

Yea I apparently drafted 3 DL pitchers to start, one with a high pick.  This should be a fine mess to fix.

Yea i don't know about the pre-draft settings. I feel like it completely ignored mine. No pitcher until like 6 round and then it was a RP.

My infield is allstar everything else  :?:

johncw

Stogiedad, I'll get the cigars out to you next week.

Kid Montana

Quoteninfiction - 3/28/2018  7:04 AM

And they're off!

I would guess there will be a lot of player movement in the next couple weeks. I don't even know half the guys on my team...

Ditto, lot of research to do; I drafted 2 AAA players that are making their MLB start this week.    :lmao:

I'd rather have a cigar...

StogieDad

QuoteKid Montana - 3/28/2018  11:05 AM

Quoteninfiction - 3/28/2018  7:04 AM

And they're off!

Ditto, lot of research to do; I drafted 2 AAA players that are making their MLB start this week.    :lmao:

That's the fun part to me.  Combing waivers, maxing out starters.  Should be a good year!
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

Kid Montana

QuoteStogieDad - 3/28/2018  8:18 AM

That's the fun part to me.  Combing waivers, maxing out starters.  Should be a good year!

I don't know how any of that works, but I'll figure it out!

StogieDad

QuoteKid Montana - 3/28/2018  11:41 AM

QuoteStogieDad - 3/28/2018  8:18 AM

I will try and put a little quick thing together today for some overall things to watch for the new guys...
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

Cfickter

QuoteStogieDad - 3/28/2018  11:46 AM  
QuoteKid Montana - 3/28/2018  11:41 AM  
QuoteStogieDad - 3/28/2018  8:18 AM   That's the fun part to me.  Combing waivers, maxing out starters.  Should be a good year!
I will try and put a little quick thing together today for some overall things to watch for the new guys...

No operational secrets! 

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

StogieDad

So just a few things to consider (no operational secrets :biggrin:)

You get 12 starts from your pitchers a week, generally Monday - Sunday.  Choose wisely, as after the 12th start they don't count anymore.  You will see week one you get 19 starts though, as it is running Thursday all the way through the next week.

Watching waivers can find players to fill slumping spots and such.  But Fantasy Baseball does pay to at least check your roster everyday.  You can see categories such as Last 7, Last 15, Last 30 and season stats to determine if a rookie who started hot has cooled off, somebody that may have opened terrible or injured is now back and tearing it up, etc.  

You can use your DL to get eligible players out of the way, but remember you have to have a roster spot when they come back.

Pitching is the art of fantasy.  Constantly being able to max starts and relievers in the game is huge on a weekly basis.  It will show you the probable starters by day by a small PP by their name.

Have fun, you will figure it all out pretty quick.
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Kid Montana

QuoteStogieDad - 3/28/2018  10:23 AM

You get 12 starts from your pitchers a week, generally Monday - Sunday.  Choose wisely, as after the 12th start they don't count anymore.  You will see week one you get 19 starts though, as it is running Thursday all the way through the next week.

Watching waivers can find players to fill slumping spots and such.  But Fantasy Baseball does pay to at least check your roster everyday.  You can see categories such as Last 7, Last 15, Last 30 and season stats to determine if a rookie who started hot has cooled off, somebody that may have opened terrible or injured is now back and tearing it up, etc.  

You can use your DL to get eligible players out of the way, but remember you have to have a roster spot when they come back.

Pitching is the art of fantasy.  Constantly being able to max starts and relievers in the game is huge on a weekly basis.  It will show you the probable starters by day by a small PP by their name.

Ok, so I have 9 pitchers.  Only 4 of them are pitching this next 7 games.  So I ought to drop/pick up pitchers who are going to be starting to make up that 12 games?  Edit: just realized the 4 are my starting pitchers; makes sense the relievers won't be called up until they're needed.

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

StogieDad

QuoteKid Montana - 3/28/2018  4:48 PM

QuoteStogieDad - 3/28/2018  10:23 AM

Ok, so I have 9 pitchers.  Only 4 of them are pitching this next 7 games.  So I ought to drop/pick up pitchers who are going to be starting to make up that 12 games?  Edit: just realized the 4 are my starting pitchers; makes sense the relievers won't be called up until they're needed.

The relievers have to be on your active roster on a day for their stats to count.  You can add/drop pitchers to fill games, you just risk losing any drops if they are picked up and you have to mind your starts.
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

Caveman Steve

Quotejohncw - 3/28/2018  10:31 AM

Yea i don't know about the pre-draft settings. I feel like it completely ignored mine. No pitcher until like 6 round and then it was a RP.

Ditto
Ignored my instruction as well
Oh well

Play Ball! :biggrin:
"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

Deener27

QuoteCaveman Steve - 3/29/2018  5:24 AM

Quotejohncw - 3/28/2018  10:31 AM

Ditto
Ignored my instruction as well
Oh well

Play Ball! :biggrin:

I wanted starters more than relievers and set it that way but hey, no dice.  Got hosed.  At least I am not the only one.  But for my first attempt, I am going to have a ton of fun.  Always been a fantasy football guru, but never baseball so I am looking forward to this.

Good luck everybody and HAPPY OPENING DAY!!!

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Kid Montana

Kman

Just wanted to let everyone know that I will be adding a second owner to my team. This is due to the fact that I will be travelling for work again soon and also will be completely without internet for 2 weeks this summer during a backpacking trip in New Mexico. My co-owner doesn't have a stake in the cigars. I will be responsible for all payouts. He's just going to be there to help during the times I am unable to manage my team. If anyone has an issue with this, please speak now or forever hold your peace  :biggrin:
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

StogieDad

QuoteKman - 3/30/2018  2:35 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that I will be adding a second owner to my team. This is due to the fact that I will be travelling for work again soon and also will be completely without internet for 2 weeks this summer during a backpacking trip in New Mexico. My co-owner doesn't have a stake in the cigars. I will be responsible for all payouts. He's just going to be there to help during the times I am unable to manage my team. If anyone has an issue with this, please speak now or forever hold your peace  :biggrin:

I promise I won't bribe him to trade me all of your top players for nothing while you are gone.....Geeks honor :biggrin:
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

Kman

QuoteStogieDad - 3/30/2018  5:42 PM  
QuoteKman - 3/30/2018  2:35 PM  Just wanted to let everyone know that I will be adding a second owner to my team. This is due to the fact that I will be travelling for work again soon and also will be completely without internet for 2 weeks this summer during a backpacking trip in New Mexico. My co-owner doesn't have a stake in the cigars. I will be responsible for all payouts. He's just going to be there to help during the times I am unable to manage my team. If anyone has an issue with this, please speak now or forever hold your peace  :biggrin:
I promise I won't bribe him to trade me all of your top players for nothing while you are gone.....Geeks honor :biggrin:

You're going to need something other than cigars though, he's not a fellow enthusiast :biggrin:

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Kid Montana

StogieDad, is there a particular time period we need to get cigars to you?  I was planning on sending them this week but wasn't sure if you wanted to deal with all of them this early...

ninfiction

QuoteKid Montana - 4/3/2018  11:58 AM

StogieDad, is there a particular time period we need to get cigars to you?  I was planning on sending them this week but wasn't sure if you wanted to deal with all of them this early...

This is also my plan, but I'll wait if you like.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

StogieDad

I'm good.  I have space and would rather have them here then let them slip folks mind so whenever you guys are ready to send go for it.
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.