Good Advice

Started by Kid Montana, 09/04/2018 03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

Some advice that always sticks with me was given to me by an old family friend and mentor in my career in the dairy business. I had known "Big John" for many years as my father actually worked for him in his early years. I was given a chance and took my first job in management at a cheese manufacturing plant and I was struggling a bit with employees that didn't have a "sense of urgency" which is often needed in the dairy business. One day John and I were sitting in his office having a smoke (him a pipeful of Prince Albert and me a Marlboro) discussing the issue of employees not having the drive to get moving  and he said "Kenny, sometimes you got to tell then to get moving because wait(weight) broke the wagon, and one other thing is that if things aren't going the way you want and you need to know why, sometimes you gotta look in the mirror. The latter seemed a bit harsh at the time but it was some of the best advice I could have gotten at that time. Since then John and I became very close and worked together for many years and he taught me more than I will ever remember. He is since retired and of late has had some health issues and been moved into a assisted living facility and I feel terrible that I haven't been to see him for months and I want to thank Dan for this thread and reminding me of this and I need to go make a visit to "Big John" in the next week or so before it's too late.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Kid Montana

Quote05Venturer - 9/6/2018  7:26 PM

Some advice that always sticks with me was given to me by an old family friend and mentor in my career in the dairy business. I had known "Big John" for many years as my father actually worked for him in his early years. I was given a chance and took my first job in management at a cheese manufacturing plant and I was struggling a bit with employees that didn't have a "sense of urgency" which is often needed in the dairy business. One day John and I were sitting in his office having a smoke (him a pipeful of Prince Albert and me a Marlboro) discussing the issue of employees not having the drive to get moving  and he said "Kenny, sometimes you got to tell then to get moving because wait(weight) broke the wagon, and one other thing is that if things aren't going the way you want and you need to know why, sometimes you gotta look in the mirror. The latter seemed a bit harsh at the time but it was some of the best advice I could have gotten at that time. Since then John and I became very close and worked together for many years and he taught me more than I will ever remember. He is since retired and of late has had some health issues and been moved into a assisted living facility and I feel terrible that I haven't been to see him for months and I want to thank Dan for this thread and reminding me of this and I need to go make a visit to "Big John" in the next week or so before it's too late.

Good stuff Kent, I always struggled to understand if my actions as a leader were motivating or exasperating my subordinates.  Being willing to look at myself honestly and make adjustments made a huge difference.

I'd rather have a cigar...

Kid Montana

Just a reminder, this contest ends tomorrow morning.  Everyone will really enjoy reading your entry, and you'll enjoy the cigars available to win.

Brlesq

On my wedding day 27 years ago, my father-in-law took me aside and said "Listen, I have important advice to give you: If you ever come home from work and find the front door has a fresh coat of red paint, just use the backdoor."

:-0

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Kid Montana

QuoteBrlesq - 9/7/2018  3:39 PM

On my wedding day 27 years ago, my father-in-law took me aside and said "Listen, I have important advice to give you: If you ever come home from work and find the front door has a fresh coat of red paint, just use the backdoor."

:-0

:lmao:

Kid Montana

Hey hey, so 11 folks entered my little contest, thank you all for sharing.  This is a contest I'd been thinking about for a long time and am grateful to everyone who took the time to type up a response.  I assigned each participant a number based on the order they posted their response, and had a random number generator pick from 1 to 11.  The winner is Silverstix!  I will PM you to confirm your address, and look for something in the mail early next week!

benchjockey

Interesting and well thought out contest, Daniel. Congrats to Tom.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

05Venturer

Thanks for the contest Dan and congrats Tom.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

PETE314

Congrats!!!!!!

Thanks for the contest!!!
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

Murphy223

Great Topic - Thanks for kickstarting it

Silverstix

Thanks guys, and THANK YOU DAN. This was a really great idea and it was really nice to hear everyone's positive stories.

Brlesq

Great idea for a contest, Dan.

Congrats Tom!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

quickme

Great contest!!  Congrats Dan!

Chefjohn

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

junglepete

:bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs: Nice...congrats Tom...clever contest.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

ninfiction

Great contest Dan, thanks for doing it.

Congrats Tom!
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Silverstix

Don't have access to a computer tonight, so I will post a picture tomorrow morning.  But let me tease it and say that this is the mother of all 5'ers.....and Dan's math may be a little bit off!

Silverstix

So here she is - the mother of all 5'ers (6'ers)

Forbidden X Toro (2016)

Padron Family Reserve 44 Years

Anejo #77 Shark (2013)

Drew Estate Dirty Rat (2015)

Southern Draw Jacob's Ladder Lancero (2018)

Illusione H-Town Lancero (2016)

Silverstix

Thank you again Dan for putting this together and for giving me such incredible cigars to smoke.  I will surely treasure them all and when I smoke each one I will think of the story I told

benchjockey

Wow, that's an incredible prize package!
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

shakinghorizons

Very nice prize pack!

quickme

WOW thats a great prize!!

junglepete

Primo Sticks!!!  :drool: ...real badass :meansmoke:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.