2000ct Humidor giveaway

Started by cmbrose, 04/04/2018 07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninfiction

That's some bulls**t. Really sucks you're the one that is getting hosed. I don't feel sorry for George at all, my guess is the story is crap.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

DonM

Social Media could really be a bytch for old George of Rodriguez Cigars and 3 Rivers cigars if one chose to blast it and ask people to share it, just saying.  I would be more than happy to help  :angel:

I am sure that others in the cigar industry have seen the contest and not following through with his contest would not fare well with them. It is a matter of integrity

"The Curmudgeon"

headfirst

I think of those contests as a transaction.  I realize I'm giving someone my name and email address and everything that comes with that for a chance to win something.  It chafes me that he collected all that email/potential customer info and didn't hold up his end of the bargain.  That from this "amigo" that waxed eloquent in his SHOTGUN emails about how he thinks the business should be about the person-to-person connection and not just who has the lowest price.  He's on my "personal" black list now...
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Koop

There are laws regarding promotional contests. It might be worthwhile to contact a consumer action group or BBB.

jagfandaddy

That is all kind of wrong!
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Mautrak

This is frustrating as we seem to see people who take advantage of this community.  For some reason I'm reminded of Dirty Leaf cigars from a few years back, or at least I think that's what it was called.  

This "promotion" and then blaming the failure on another business is just wrong.

Cfickter

Sorry, I would be hiring an attorney.  He claimed that the value was $3200, that makes it over small claims court I would believe. ALso here in Pennsylvania we have the Bureau of Consumer Affairs which is part of the Attorney General's office. https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/public-protection-division/bureau-consumer-protection/ File a complaint there.  The original link is still active so capture a screen shot and the URL.  Send that along with all the correspondence when you file your complaint. (link to file on the page)
I would also provide any links to Three Rivers Cigars like this one https://www.linkedin.com/in/christian-lowry-8b73227/ 
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Cigary

I know George and he's a guy with a ton of character and integrity.  In this case he was taken advantage of by the Sponsor and in business these things happen.  The "rub" here is that both parties are involved and if one of those parties defaults then the other part has to step up  and it's up to the sole party who was defrauded to make their case in court.  In Pennsylvania the limit is up to $12,000 so this could be settled in that court with a filing fee of $40 up to $80.  IMO this is the way to go and the filing fee can be part of the settlement.  I read through the GiveAway Rules and with all of the legalese involved the burden of proof for the plaintiff looks pretty easy to convince any fair minded judge.  Pity this happened but there is a reason we have juris prudence to turn to.

Cfickter

Stand up guy or not, George is still responsible for this contest and needs to step up.  His excuse doesn't hold water.  If a third party, three Rivers Cigar in this case, fails to deliver this does not absolve George of his responsibility. I reached to a few main players in the Pittsburgh cigar scene asking what they have heard.

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

DonM

QuoteCigary - 8/28/2018  1:33 PM

I know George and he's a guy with a ton of character and integrity.  In this case he was taken advantage of by the Sponsor and in business these things happen.  The "rub" here is that both parties are involved and if one of those parties defaults then the other part has to step up  and it's up to the sole party who was defrauded to make their case in court.  In Pennsylvania the limit is up to $12,000 so this could be settled in that court with a filing fee of $40 up to $80.  IMO this is the way to go and the filing fee can be part of the settlement.  I read through the GiveAway Rules and with all of the legalese involved the burden of proof for the plaintiff looks pretty easy to convince any fair minded judge.  Pity this happened but there is a reason we have juris prudence to turn to.

Really now, if he's "a guy with a ton of character and integrity", then why are we having this conversation on the site?  Cigary, I am not bashing you by any means but not following through with the prize shows a lack of integrity

"The Curmudgeon"

Silverstix

Doesn't a company take out insurance or something on contests like this?

Brlesq

QuoteSilverstix - 8/28/2018  2:08 PM

Doesn't a company take out insurance or something on contests like this?

No, this is a sweepstakes, not a contest. You're thinking about contests (like a hole-in-one prize) where the prize my not have to be paid, so they just insure for it.  In a sweepstakes, the prize is guaranteed to be awarded and is typically in hand before it begins.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Silverstix

QuoteBrlesq - 8/28/2018  2:40 PM  
QuoteSilverstix - 8/28/2018  2:08 PM  Doesn't a company take out insurance or something on contests like this?
No, this is a sweepstakes, not a contest. You're thinking about contests (like a hole-in-one prize) where the prize my not have to be paid, so they just insure for it.  In a sweepstakes, the prize is guaranteed to be awarded and is typically in hand before it begins.

Ahhh gotcha.  Well either way, it's crappy and the "winner" shouldn't be the one who ends up losing  :angry:  

BewareDaPenguin

QuoteCfickter - 8/28/2018  11:01 AM

Sorry, I would be hiring an attorney.  He claimed that the value was $3200, that makes it over small claims court I would believe. ALso here in Pennsylvania we have the Bureau of Consumer Affairs which is part of the Attorney General's office. https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/public-protection-division/bureau-consumer-protection/ File a complaint there.  The original link is still active so capture a screen shot and the URL.  Send that along with all the correspondence when you file your complaint. (link to file on the page)
I would also provide any links to Three Rivers Cigars like this one https://www.linkedin.com/in/christian-lowry-8b73227/ 

If it was a desktop $25 throw away humi I'd let it slid, but you bet your a$$ if it's a $3200 climate controlled tower I'd would be filing paper work. And agreed good guy or not everyone should fulfill there "contest". It's not the winners fault some kind of side deal fell thru and you are suppose to eat it, that's not how these things work. I'd do exactly what Chuck had recommended and go from there. He claimed "in business these things happen" well in small claims court "rulings happen" so good luck and keep us posted. I agree geeks is a tight group and take these guys advise I'd say you have a good chance and getting it!
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

cmbrose

Update on all of this. I posted in 2 different FB groups along with Twitter and Instagram. Even tagged him on Twitter and the Instagram posts. Let's say he wasn't too happy about it.

Then today I get an email, a text message, and a phone call from him in a 5 minute span . He says he is trying to make things right and he needs my address. He's trying to get with another distributor to get this taken care of. I hope he's not playing me this time.

He also talked a little about Christian Lowry of 3Rcigars. He said that he also screwed over at least 4 different companies. Says most likely picked up and moved back to Canada since he's from there.

So hopefully he will fulfill his end of the deal.

Mautrak

That's a good update.  Here's to hoping that he comes through, and it's not just talk . . . .

DonM

That is good news!  Social Media can really screw a Company or individual over these days if used in the right way.  I agree, I hope he follows through with it this time.  The pic of the humidor in the contest is a Remington and there are a few co's advertising them so they are available.

"The Curmudgeon"

Cfickter

Lets hope it leads to a good resolution, but it should not have had to ever come close to this.  I understand that George might have been screwed by a third party but he still could have explained the situation and try to resolve with out all the social media drama.

Chris Lowry, who lists him self as CEO of Three Rivers Cigar has not posted anything on his personal FB page since 2017 and nothing on his company's since Feb.  Three Rivers Cigar is a private lounge in the Lawerenceville section of Pittsburgh.  While Lawrenceville is a old neighborhood, it is quickly become a trendy millennial go-to area with new shops, bars and restaurants.  But his place is about 20 blocks further out.  It is basically a remolded three story row house turned into a lounge.  Nice but not over the top.  $1500/year was the price I was given.  Also one cigar lounge, The Cigar Den, recently moved from that area. So maybe this guy did flee

Chris, I would suggest keeping the pressure on "Everyone's Amigo"!  If he begins to push things out again, give him a deadline and then file charges.  Another options could be offering an alternative settlement.  If the value was $3200, he would have shipping in there also so $3000 cash?

Cigary

QuoteDonM - 8/28/2018  1:59 PM  

Really now, if he's "a guy with a ton of character and integrity", then why are we having this conversation on the site?  Cigary, I am not bashing you by any means but not following through with the prize shows a lack of integrity

Seems as though this story isn't finished....a rush to judgement never works out well esp. when ALL of the facts are not accounted for.  Yes....I know George well enough to say that he has character and integrity because he's proven it not only to me but others as well.  It takes a lifetime to build a name or brand and only seconds to tear it down....is that something that you would agree with or would you rather be on the side that just makes a determination without knowing everything and casting stones?  I seriously doubt that you'd want others to attack you personally without benefit of being able to explain in detail as to the matter.  I will continue to back George up until such time that he doesn't do the right thing and for now....it looks like he is doing the right thing.  There comes a time in everybodys life where we should have the opportunity to defend ourselves....and for the 6 plus years I've know George it's not in his personality to defraud anyone....I am a character witness in this regard just as I would be a character witness for anyone who would be accused of something that just didn't fit the mold.  Hopefully this will be resolved quickly and in the meantime maybe people will understand that responding to Twitter/Facebook/Instagram or any other Social Media to attack others before having a real sense of facts is not the answer until ALL of the facts are in. Would anyone here want to deal with a situation where your name or business is on the line and were being vilified without benefit of being able to clear things up?  Once things are burned down and reputations are destroyed....a simple I'm sorry from the attackers.....just doesn't seem adequate. JMHO

Cfickter

Cigary, I don’t think anyone on this forum is doubting your opinions on George and you are right many of us have had good dealings with George.  I believe most of the comments are regarding this contest and how it was run.  I also don't believe anyone here believes George originally ran this contest with the intent of not fulfilling the commitment.

But lets look at the facts

First the Chris’ name was drawn on May 1st.  – 120 days ago there was a series of messages from George that lead Chris to believe things were moving towards him getting this prize, albeit moving slowly, but he lead Chris to believe he was getting it
The first excuses were that he was shopping for shipping quotes. That took 1-2 months.   Then when he did get a good quote, the distributor sold the last one. Now we have to wait on another shipment from China that should land middle of July.
July 30th Chris messaged him and his reply was they are clearing customs and he should have it that next week

When Chris was informed he was not going to get this humidor.  George basically told Chris he can follow up with his contact, whom he couldn’t get in touch with. Instead of George offering some sort of compensation like as cash settlement, similar humidor or a combination of these, he simply walked away. I don’t know if Chris would have accepted these alternatives but we will not know since they were not offered.  But perhaps me might have if George explained the circumstances.  

You are right It takes a lifetime to build a name or brand and only seconds to tear it down, but also how you react in the face of adversity is a fair measure also. George has been in this industry along time, he should have plenty of contacts who may have been able to help.  Did he reach out to them? We don’t know. George could also have sourced in the US.  1St Class Humidors (Florida) has on their website two 2,000 count humidors similar to what George seemed to offer for about $2,000.  Yes George would have been out another $2K, but then it might not have come to this level of discussion

You can’t blame Chris for reaching out on social media, and it seems that nothing was going to get done till this happened.  

DonM

QuoteCigary - 8/29/2018  2:17 PM

QuoteDonM - 8/28/2018  1:59 PM  

Seems as though this story isn't finished....a rush to judgement never works out well esp. when ALL of the facts are not accounted for.  Yes....I know George well enough to say that he has character and integrity because he's proven it not only to me but others as well.  It takes a lifetime to build a name or brand and only seconds to tear it down....is that something that you would agree with or would you rather be on the side that just makes a determination without knowing everything and casting stones?  I seriously doubt that you'd want others to attack you personally without benefit of being able to explain in detail as to the matter.  I will continue to back George up until such time that he doesn't do the right thing and for now....it looks like he is doing the right thing.  There comes a time in everybodys life where we should have the opportunity to defend ourselves....and for the 6 plus years I've know George it's not in his personality to defraud anyone....I am a character witness in this regard just as I would be a character witness for anyone who would be accused of something that just didn't fit the mold.  Hopefully this will be resolved quickly and in the meantime maybe people will understand that responding to Twitter/Facebook/Instagram or any other Social Media to attack others before having a real sense of facts is not the answer until ALL of the facts are in. Would anyone here want to deal with a situation where your name or business is on the line and were being vilified without benefit of being able to clear things up?  Once things are burned down and reputations are destroyed....a simple I'm sorry from the attackers.....just doesn't seem adequate. JMHO

Cigary,  hear what you are saying BUT!  George has had 4 months to do something about the giveaway and awarding Chris the prize.  He has had plenty of time to remedy the issue and dig deep in his pockets to maintain his integrity. The moral of the story is: "don't write checks that your @$$ can't cash" .  Writing an email stating that I am sorry about your bad luck, you probably wont get the humidor you won is unacceptable.  It took social media to get his attention and respond to Chris.  I am in the camp of "lets see how this play out"

"The Curmudgeon"

cmbrose

I finally received the humidor on Tuesday! Yay! I am glad that George was able to pull through. I will post pictures whenever I figure out why I can't access CG through my internet provider (ATT).

But for the debate as to whether I did the right thing or not by posting on social media, I still think I was right. I had waited patiently for months, with every belief that I was going to get the humidor until the last email. For George to basically say if you want the humidor, you can contact Christian Lowry from 3R cigars, was why I went to social media. At that moment, I believe George had given up on getting the humidor for me. I don't think he had any intentions of finding another way. I do believe that had I not gone to social media, I would have never seen the humidor.

That being said, I know what I did probably hurt his reputation some. Judging by other responses I got, his reputation has already been damaged by not fulfilling his going out of business sale. I understand that again was on Christian Lowry, but for George to not respond to his customers or say anything about what 3R cigars had done, he just made it worse for himself.

I will though, update all of my posts and even make new ones showing that George did come through on his giveaway. I understand that damage has already been done, but I think it was necessary.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and thoughts throughout this whole ordeal. I am so glad over!

DRuff

Cigary

Well.....seems as though George did the right thing as I expected and for those who brought out the rope and shovels and wanted frontier justice may you receive the same consideration when and if you are challenged. There is a reason why the quotation is mentioned so many times...he that is without sin let them be the first to cast the first stone. There was never a doubt in my mind that George would do the right thing.....others here...not so much.

Mautrak

A happy ending. Very cool.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.