Need Humidifier/Electrical/Fan Help

Started by ninfiction, 04/24/2018 07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninfiction

I have an issue...

I have a Hydra LG with 2 fans as my humidifier. The 2 fans connect to an adapter then to the Hydra via a ribbon wire. Well the ribbon wire is no longer good so the fans don't work. I don't just want to buy a new adapter, I'd prefer to connect the fans directly to an outlet so I can run them on a timer separate from the humidifier.

Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug the fans into that would then have a normal plug on the end so I can by pass the humidifier? Or does anyone know how I would wire the fans to a cord to plug into an outlet? I would prefer to plug and play and not monkey with rewiring but I could if that's the only option.

Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks!

Here are some potato pics
This is not the admin you're looking for...

ntanner

I would check what the fans are rated for first. That looks like either low voltage or maybe even DC wire from the plug. May not be able to just add a end on.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

ninfiction

Quotentanner - 4/24/2018  8:30 PM

I would check what the fans are rated for first. That looks like either low voltage or maybe even DC wire from the plug. May not be able to just add a end on.

Shows how much I know...maybe it's time for different fans.

DonM

The fans on my Cigar Oasis are 5 V DC and are so small I don't even know if they are beneficial but they run.  Look on the fan, it may have the power rating on them.  Hope that  helps

"The Curmudgeon"

ricoishere

That's where Radio Shack came in handy!
I got way too many cigars, too much booze, not many friends. Life is GRAND.
-Rico

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle." -George Burns

My humidor
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=ricoishere

Vroomp

Once again, Radio Shack is your friend here~! I use a computer cooling fan in one of my towers (the other requires none) and simply bought a transformer with the correct output for my fan and have it directly wired (could have bought a connector, but the wires fit right into the jack on the end of the transformer lead and it's only like 9vdc, so who cares). It's run 24/7 and has been going for years now.

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

ninfiction

Perfect! Thanks Brad

I also found a link where you can just wire them to an old phone charger or something similar. Like you said, such low voltage it doesn't matter.

DonM

USB voltage is 5v dc. So if you find a 5v fan you are golden!

"The Curmudgeon"

DonM

So now I had fan problems, the fan kit for the Cigar Oasis Magna is a POS, those little fans made more noise than the humidifier does.  For a temporary fix, I rewired a USB laptop cooling fan kit and am running it constant.  I did find a really nice USB ball bearing fan on Amazon that may work too:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G059G86/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00G059G86&pd_rd_wg=1QVzJ&pd_rd_r=GQNT2066SHSAVA2CSZC8&pd_rd_w=SIF32

"The Curmudgeon"

ninfiction

Yeah those fans they include aren't the best. I'm actually experimenting tonight to see if I can wire mine to an old phone charger. $0 invested so if it goes up in flames no biggie lol

DonM

So the purpose of the fans are to circulate air and humidity.  My humidor has a very skinny drawer on the 3rd shelf which reduces circulation I am sure.  So with that, a few ?'s for all of you with towers:

What difference in humidity do you see from top to bottom?  I am getting 1 to 2 % RH difference

Where are you placing your fans if you use them?  just curious

BTW I do have 1 lb of Heartfelt beads in the bottom in a Pyrex bowl

Thanks!

"The Curmudgeon"

ninfiction

Mine has 2 drawers, one near the top and one about middle and they are solid so I know they don't circulate at all. From top to bottom I can have a difference up to 10% rh, depending on how often I run the fans, which is why I want to hook the fans up to a timer instead of the humidifier.

My fans are placed between hanging over the edge of the shelves between the door and shelf. They are not permanently attached but I'd like to get to that point.

I was thinking(too lazy to attempt yet) that I would cut some slots in the drawers to allow for circulation similar to shelves/trays in normal humidors.

I have like 3 lbs of beads on different shelves to help level everything out...I got the tower super cheap...and got what I paid for...but it works, with work.

ninfiction

Finally sat down and put the time to see if my plan would work.

I spliced my 2 fans from the Hydra LG fan kit to an old phone charger. The fans have power and now I can plug them in on a timer and they will run separate from the Hydra. Hopefully this will allow me to better dial in the RH through my whole tower.

DonM

So, with a little brainstorming, I came up with an idea for a fan. Little invested, I went with it.  A 4.7 inch variable speed fan with a custom built stand........made from an empty Liga #9 box!  My problem was the middle shelf, air didn't flow up as I wanted to so with some experimenting, the fan needed to be on the 4th shelf pointed up........

Excellent results with the fan on the medium setting, 65% on top, 65% on the bottom.  It don't get any better than that.  Patent pending on the design  :biggrin:

"The Curmudgeon"

jagfandaddy

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.