From the M*A*S*H episode"Fade Out, Fade In:" COL. POTTER: Cigar? RADAR: Will it stunt my growth? COL. POTTER: Whattya got to loose? RADAR: Is it Habit forming? COL. POTTER: Nah, I've smoked 5 cigars a day and never got the habit! RADAR: That's good to know! (After lighting cigars, Radar makes a puzzled look) COL POTTER: Nothin' like a good cigar on a clear morning! RADAR: Or Cream of Wheat. Later, Radar was found over the hill, sick from his first cigar...

Main Menu

random thoughts

Started by qman22, 01/14/2008 06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qman22

I just love when I am going toward the ashtray and the ash falls off an inch infront of it........

Also,  I saw the movie, Juno, over the weekend.  It is one of the best movies I have seen in a while......I would recommend seeing it if you haven't

:smoker2:
Lets GOOOOOOOO Mountaineers!

ChipCurser

Speaking of ashtrays, I have a theory that when you lay down a cigar and it is horizontal to the ground, it will not even out to a str8 burn no matter how you lay the cigar, but if the foot is tilted lower than the head and the longer side is down, then it will str8en out.   And I guess it would work if you held it in your hand with the foot tilted down?????
My theory is based on the ash lenth and if a cigar is horizontal the smoke usually comes out away from the unburned cigar, but if tilted the smoke meets the unburned cigar atop and slows the top burn while the bottom will burn more repidly.
Just another random though.

qman22

Hmmm, I am not sure.  I have always wondered the best way to sit a cigar in the ashtray to keep an even burn.  Especially, how to set it down if the burn starts to become uneven.  I have tried different things, but my results have been inconclusive......

theoldcc

Interesting theory and it makes some sense.  I think I remember hearing that you turn the long side of the cigar (the side of the wrapper falling behind in the burn) down in order to correct it.

*P
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

Turboknat

Well, I am going to have a fine cigar tonight in beautiful Nicaragua, and I will look into this myself...

MX1

Slow side down.  More O2 at teh bottom of the smoke, means hotter burn there, so it should help correct the burn.

Or at least that what I do..... :confused:

Tim

ljlemer

QuoteTurboknat - 1/16/2008  6:01 PM

Well, I am going to have a fine cigar tonight in beautiful Nicaragua, and I will look into this myself...

I bet a lot of puros sold locally are pretty awful. I spent 3 years in Colombia 1971-74 searching in vain for a decent puro. Not a single cigar I've reviewed on this website was as bad as every single cigar in that country. Of course, times have changed and Nicaragua is a cigar paradise now, still, what the locals buy is probably what they dare not export.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

mhuss

Do most of you guys lay your cigars down in an ashtray during the smoke?  I usually only do that if I have to run inside for something (usually another drink).  Most times, I just sit there with the cigar in my hand and enjoy the feel of it.  I don't really lay it down in the ashtray that much.  Just wondering how common this is.

ChipCurser

I usually put mine down on the ashtray because when I keep a hold of it, I usually smoke it to fast.  By putting it down, it makes me remember to smoke slower.  Maybe I am just a very compulsive smoker, but if it is in my hand, it is there for a purpose.

ljlemer

QuoteChipCurser - 1/19/2008  12:21 PM

I usually put mine down on the ashtray because when I keep a hold of it, I usually smoke it to fast.  By putting it down, it makes me remember to smoke slower.  Maybe I am just a very compulsive smoker, but if it is in my hand, it is there for a purpose.

Don't you find that smoking too slow is at least as big a risk? Once a cigar goes out completely, which can happen if you go too long without a puff, you seldom regain the original fine flavor you started with.

Thomas Mann

ljlemer

Quotemhuss - 1/16/2008  11:48 PM

Do most of you guys lay your cigars down in an ashtray during the smoke?  I usually only do that if I have to run inside for something (usually another drink).  Most times, I just sit there with the cigar in my hand and enjoy the feel of it.  I don't really lay it down in the ashtray that much.  Just wondering how common this is.

That's exactly how I am. It's either between my teeth or fingers 98% of the time.

Thomas Mann

ChipCurser

That is true if I would leave the cigar for any length of time.  But I have even watched my wrist watch to make sure I slow down.  Sometimes I look at the watch and say I won't pick the cigar up for 60 seconds.
But, yes I have put it down and it has gone out.  
That brings up another thought.  I have noticed that if I let a cigar go out and leave it out for more than a few minutes, some get a bit of an ash taste that ruins it for me.  I can't say it happen all the time, but in the few times I have kept the cigar out for 1 or more hours, the majority are not as enjoyable when relit.  The harsh and/or ash taste doesn't usually come out if I relight quickly.

ljlemer

QuoteChipCurser - 1/20/2008  3:21 PM

That is true if I would leave the cigar for any length of time.  But I have even watched my wrist watch to make sure I slow down.  Sometimes I look at the watch and say I won't pick the cigar up for 60 seconds.
But, yes I have put it down and it has gone out.  
That brings up another thought.  I have noticed that if I let a cigar go out and leave it out for more than a few minutes, some get a bit of an ash taste that ruins it for me.  I can't say it happen all the time, but in the few times I have kept the cigar out for 1 or more hours, the majority are not as enjoyable when relit.  The harsh and/or ash taste doesn't usually come out if I relight quickly.

My Opus tasted just as good relit, but that's an exception. I'm a nervous smoker and that is worse when pipe smoking. You can really overheat the bowl and scald your tongue. I don't see as bad a consequence of smoking a cigar too fast.

Thomas Mann

ChipCurser

They say that smoking a cigar to fast can make the tastes bitter.  I have had some cigars that became bitter, but I don't know if that was from smoking it to fast or if the cigar was going to get bitter on its own.  I have read that smoking a cigar slower will bring out more subtle flavors, but I havn't smoked enough of one cigar to agree or disagree with that.

mhuss

Smoking a cigar too fast will make the cigar burn hotter, which can definitely lead to some differences in flavors.  I usually wait about a minute or so before I draw from it again, just to make sure that it doesn't burn too hot.  I have noticed in the past, from just one cigar, that if I draw on it too often, the flavors will change.  It happened to me once when I was smoking a Don Diego Grande.  I guess I was a little too anxious with it and started drawing on it too often.  I noticed that the flavors got a little warm & harsh, so I just put it down for a minute or so and it was fine again.

Bob Cordell

I have some random thoughts I would like to post and bring this thread back to life, as a matter of fact I logged on to create just a thread, most have nothing to do with cigars...

That Van der Sloot bastard really got away with one, huh? Even after his confession, nothing will happen to him apparently. Aruba just announced they wont re-arrest him.

As far as that lame satellite goes, I have good news and bad news. I'm an insurance agent by trade and I dont know of any property coverage form that dosent cover falling objects. On the other hand if it hits you in the head...

That El Rey del Mundo was REALLY good tonight! Have you ever checked out tntcigars.com ? They really have the best prices I have found on the net. You should really check the prices.

I love FOX News, you ever seen the female reporters on that station? They dont call it FOX news for nothing!

My girlfriend is pretty hot...

I recently kicked a very bad and expensive habit all by myself and unlike Amy Winehouse, I didnt have to go to re-hab. Good for me, I'm proud of myself...more money for cigars!

Ok, thats about it, you guys ramble on for a while with your "random thoughts"

:shy:
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

ljlemer

Quotemhuss - 1/24/2008  10:08 AM

Smoking a cigar too fast will make the cigar burn hotter, which can definitely lead to some differences in flavors.  I usually wait about a minute or so before I draw from it again, just to make sure that it doesn't burn too hot.  I have noticed in the past, from just one cigar, that if I draw on it too often, the flavors will change.  It happened to me once when I was smoking a Don Diego Grande.  I guess I was a little too anxious with it and started drawing on it too often.  I noticed that the flavors got a little warm & harsh, so I just put it down for a minute or so and it was fine again.

You can also take shallower puffs. That way you can puff more often.

Thomas Mann

mhuss

QuoteBob Cordell - 2/14/2008  11:16 PM
I love FOX News, you ever seen the female reporters on that station? They dont call it FOX news for nothing!

Indeed they are, but their talent level doesn't seem to be on par with the rest of the cable news channels.  I can't imagine they're true profession is really journalism.  I think FOX just hires them because they're blonde and beautiful.

ljlemer

Quotemhuss - 2/15/2008  11:01 AM

QuoteBob Cordell - 2/14/2008  11:16 PM

Indeed they are, but their talent level doesn't seem to be on par with the rest of the cable news channels.  I can't imagine they're true profession is really journalism.  I think FOX just hires them because they're blonde and beautiful.

Mike, you broke 700 points! Today I'll break 900 posts.

Thomas Mann

mhuss

Quoteljlemer - 2/15/2008  11:06 AM

Continuing to pass milestones is a daily occurance here at CG!  And that's a testament to the excellent base of members we have here.  Keep em comin!   :dancing:

Bob Cordell

I think Julie Bandaras is smoking hot and also she can mix it up in a heated interview. I like the black girl, Harris Faulkner with the wild eyes. The Megyn Kelly chick used to be a attorney  I think.

Oh hell, I like them all...

;-)
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

ljlemer

Quotemhuss - 2/15/2008  11:08 AM

Quoteljlemer - 2/15/2008  11:06 AM

Continuing to pass milestones is a daily occurance here at CG!  And that's a testament to the excellent base of members we have here.  Keep em comin!   :dancing:

Keep 'em coming? OK, just for you, this is number #900! To imagine how many that really is, just imagine having to read them all at once.

Thomas Mann

mhuss

Quoteljlemer - 2/15/2008  11:18 AM
Keep 'em coming? OK, just for you, this is number #900! To imagine how many that really is, just imagine having to read them all at once.

I don't think I have that kind of time!  Only another week or two and you'll be hitting the 1000 post mark.

qman22

My favorite is Laurie Dhue......so freaking hot and pretty smart too

QuoteBob Cordell - 2/15/2008  11:09 AM

I think Julie Bandaras is smoking hot and also she can mix it up in a heated interview. I like the black girl, Harris Faulkner with the wild eyes. The Megyn Kelly chick used to be a attorney  I think.

Oh hell, I like them all...

;-)

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.