Best Cigar for Newbies

Started by c9belayer, 08/09/2018 03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toby2

if someone mentioned it i didn’t see it. 

all good recommendations for sure. my advise would be to be cautious about buying a bunch of something you like now. i have given away a good bit of what i stocked up on in the early days bcs i found a good deal etc. tastes will change and the cigars may change as well. and not always for the better. 

anyway good hunting!

05Venturer

Quotetoby2 - 8/17/2018  10:45 PM

if someone mentioned it i didn't see it. 

all good recommendations for sure. my advise would be to be cautious about buying a bunch of something you like now. i have given away a good bit of what i stocked up on in the early days bcs i found a good deal etc. tastes will change and the cigars may change as well. and not always for the better. 

anyway good hunting!

very good advice ^^^^
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

c9belayer

Too true 05Venturer!  Last night I smoked a cigar that I thought was the bomb 3 years ago. It's still okay, but I've smoked way better (and not nearly as expensive!) since then. When starting out, don't be buying boxes; stick with 5-packs and for gosh sake, get a bunch of samplers! Further, try to buy at least one sampler that contains of the exact same blend, but in different sizes - you'll get an appreciation of how size and shape matter... OMG it's so much fun experimenting! Every time I get sad about all the myriad cigars I'll never be able to taste in my lifetime I remind myself of how happy I am that I'll never be able to taste all the cigars out there in my lifetime!  ;-)
-- c9belayer

Chefjohn

Quotec9belayer - 8/18/2018  3:31 PM

Too true 05Venturer!  Last night I smoked a cigar that I thought was the bomb 3 years ago. It's still okay, but I've smoked way better (and not nearly as expensive!) since then. When starting out, don't be buying boxes; stick with 5-packs and for gosh sake, get a bunch of samplers! Further, try to buy at least one sampler that contains of the exact same blend, but in different sizes - you'll get an appreciation of how size and shape matter... OMG it's so much fun experimenting! Every time I get sad about all the myriad cigars I'll never be able to taste in my lifetime I remind myself of how happy I am that I'll never be able to taste all the cigars out there in my lifetime!  ;-)

Great advice from Toby and Kent as well as you C9. Being new to premium cigars I  really developed my palate or preferences for types or brands etc yet.  What I'm doing to learn my taste preferences and how they change as well as how the cigars themselves change is I've bought a number of 5 packs and I have set up tasting logs to taste and note the tastes/changes at 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, 6 months, and 1 year. These 5'ers are all medium, medium full, and full body. I didn't really see and benefit of doing this with mild body sticks as I don't think there would be that great a change in their taste.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.