To Rotate Or Not Rotate

Started by Chefjohn, 08/04/2018 06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninfiction

QuoteWatchmanUSA - 8/8/2018  8:23 PM

Quoteninfiction - 8/4/2018  11:22 AM

Sometimes I wonder when a cigar is burning slow on one side if it's because I never "rotate" my cigars. But then I think about the fact that cigars sit for years in aging rooms at factories or in boxes in humidors all over the world and they smoke just fine.

About once a year I do an inventory, so everything comes out of the humidor and goes back in. Actually in the middle of doing that now, not literally but I'm like a third of the way thru...it's a lot of work when you collect far more than you smoke.

What you are describing is canoeing.  Canoeing refers to a severe divergence in the burn line of the cigar. This is one of the most common burn issues and is usually caused by an incorrect light, or by an unevenly humidified cigar. Also, if the wrapper is highly veined especially with large veins can contribute to canoeing.  Another factor can be the Cigar filler not being consistently filled through the Cigar with some areas being lightly packed and  other highly packed.  Canoeing can usually be prevented by rotating your cigar as you smoke it, which will allow the ash to heat more evenly.

If you notice your cigar is starting to canoe, try wetting the faster-burning side with a little spit to slow it down. If this doesn't work, you can fix the burn with a lighter by lighting the side that is burning more slowly.

I wasn't referring to canoeing, canoeing typically isn't one half of the cigar burning and the other half not burning...I think it's more likely the construction, which you also mentioned but in my example it's been a larger area than the typical canoeing, which is more often like a tiny finger burning faster down the side. When that happens I just lick my finger and wet the wrapper a bit to slow it down.

This is not the admin you're looking for...

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.