Hurricane Florence

Started by jagfandaddy, 09/13/2018 05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jagfandaddy

Just hoping all the geeks in Florence's path are staying safe!
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Chefjohn

Sending our thoughts and prayers out to our brethren in the storm's path. I'm heading down tomorrow to work with Operation Barbecue Relief.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Murphy223

Agree -If you're in the path,  Hoping people stay safe and dry

appollo

benchjockey

As someone who has experienced hurricanes, I've learned to respect this force of nature. I hope those in the storm's path have prepared and everyone will ride it out safely.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

quickme

Hope that everyone stays safe.

Cigary

Totally dismayed as to those who choose or chose to jeapordize their lives or the lives of their family...not to mention the lives of First Responders who will have to sacrifice themselves to save those who didn't evacuate. WTH can be so important that can't be replaced.... children with parents who put belongings as something more important than their lives..  can someone explain this to me cuz I just don't get it. 

Brlesq

QuoteCigary - 9/13/2018  9:37 PM

Totally dismayed as to those who choose or chose to jeapordize their lives or the lives of their family...not to mention the lives of First Responders who will have to sacrifice themselves to save those who didn't evacuate. WTH can be so important that can't be replaced.... children with parents who put belongings as something more important than their lives..  can someone explain this to me cuz I just don't get it. 

The one thing I keep hearing is that the shelters don't allow pets, and nobody wants to leave their pets behind to die. Tough choice!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

SenorPablo

Anyone who may be in the path - please stay safe!  Will pray for you guys down there.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

biggsy16

Praying for you and your family
Never done being a Dad

CarlosoftHUN

Take care guys, and stay safe!! If storm is outside, please smoke inside!!
Cigars - What else?

"The light ones may be killers, the dark ones mild; not the wrappers but the fillers, make cigars or women wild." -Keith Preston

Cigary

QuoteBrlesq - 9/13/2018  10:59 PM  
QuoteCigary - 9/13/2018  9:37 PM  Totally dismayed as to those who choose or chose to jeapordize their lives or the lives of their family...not to mention the lives of First Responders who will have to sacrifice themselves to save those who didn't evacuate. WTH can be so important that can't be replaced.... children with parents who put belongings as something more important than their lives..  can someone explain this to me cuz I just don't get it. 
The one thing I keep hearing is that the shelters don't allow pets, and nobody wants to leave their pets behind to die. Tough choice!

I completely get this....my wife and I are Rescue People and know what goes on when things of this nature take place.  We put out pamphlets that give Pet Owners information as to what they can do when conditions arise like this.

1.  Have a list of Pet Friendly Hotels and make reservations at least a week in advance of bad weather...esp. conditions like the one we see.

2.  Evacuation means....GTFO because people will lose power to their homes and maybe for weeks.  If you've ever been w/o power for a few days then you'll get what I mean....it's horrible and that means no showers, hot as hell esp. in the summertime...limited resources like water and food.  Unless you have a generator then you will be living as if it were 1800.

3.  I use to write up Evac PLans in my job before I retired and it was for 150 plants in the US and Europe...each area of the world had its own issues as far as "what to do" in case of Emergency and Number 1 is....follow the PLan to the letter.  It will save lives and it will give you enough info where it can be implemented in a day but this means you have to have be prepared and most people aren't......we see people running to the grocery stores, Home Depot, etc. because it's last minute thinking when you could be evacuating to safety.  

4.  Have a list of friends to stay with....have a suitcase/box/etc. to put your important papers in or better yet....reduce paper by having important info like Insurance Info....photos uploaded to the Cloud or other services.  These days having a digital backup is not only smart but necessary .  I have a complete digital profile of everything in my house....furniture, appliances, clothes, etc. if things go upside down.  It only took an hour to inventory what I own just in case the worst things were to happen.  Trying to inventory things afterwards is almost impossible because one is stressed out already.   PREPAREDNESS ISN'T JUST A WORD.....IT'S A PLAN OF ACTION THAT CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE AS WELL AS LOVED ONES. 

PETE314

We are sitting tight here in Charleston.  We are going to be on the edge of things.  Flooding will be a bigger issue than the winds.  In the past 2 hurricanes to to pass through(Irma, Matthew) as well as the Tropical Storm Joaqin...Number 1 the media completely overstated the intensity of the storm as well as jumped onto peoples fears to get ratings.  This storm is similar.  This storm is not in Hugo proportions.  Politicians  cover their collective asses by doing the same thing and call for evacuation.  So when making the decision to stay we try to be as informed as possible.  I look at everyone's models.  I personally like the "spaghetti" models.  I try not to listen to the "news".  It really doesn't help.  Yes you can say better safe than sorry...but there are costs involved with evacuation.  After you leave, you have to be able to get back.  and if you don't work that out precisely, you can be hung out to dry with no place to stay.  Those that left could not get home to assess damages and so water would sit for weeks and create a MUCH bigger problem than for those who stayed and were able to assess and take action immediately.  And there are many who simply have no means to leave.  And of course there are those who have been here for decades and have gone through the same song and dance every year...Heck we have houses here that are over 400 years old....and have survived every Hurricane and Flood that have come through here.

Now I am not trying to make light of these storms.   They are no joke.   But we do have to be informed.  I don't believe we are getting the information we need from the mainstream options...If we were in Wilmington...I believe we would have evacuated...But here in Charleston...from all of the models we are seeing...we are not going to be hit very heavily.  The MSM were warning us of Hurricane winds of over 150 mph starting at 8:00 pm yesterday.  The models show about 40 mph starting today.  In fact as I sit here typing...we haven't seen a drop of rain and barely any wind.  We know it is coming...I just know through historical information and through lot's of study that it will not be as bad as the past 3 years....this time.  Our house is extremely over built, not even 3 yrs old, with 200 mph windows, and Hurricane Shutters(and not the decorative type).  It is on a raised foundation on raised land.  So I am not just making this decision to stay willy-nilly.

After all of that...the biggest reason I stay is because I work for a Hospital and can be called in to help at any time...But I wanted to at least go through the thought process of some people staying...We have taken many precautions and we are being safe.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

Cfickter

Stay safe Pete, sounds like you have this well thought out and are prepared
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

quickme

PETE314

So it has been about 4 hrs since I last posted in this thread...Just to update...We still have nothing here in Charleston.  In fact the grocery store is open until 5pm...so the wife has run out for a few more supplies...Don't think of this as being reckless.  It is just the state of things here in Charleston.

Myrtle Beach is getting hammered.  But I do know the ones I know there still have electricity.  I don't know yet about any flooding.   This storm is looking like it is headed straight for Columbia...if so there will be some bad flooding with no where for the water to escape quickly.  That is one advantage to being on the coast.  So pray for those currently hammered and those in Columbia and the surrounding area...We are doing just fine to this point.

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

Cigary

I hear a family of 4 has died because they "rode out the storm".....wonder how their deaths will affect the rest of their family and friends because they wanted to roll the dice....there will be other deaths, too. The idea of putting "stuff" in front of your life and those of your family... Plus the idea that you might cause the death of a first responder... Sorry but that's just selfish.

PETE314

Yes...i am selfish because i work for a hospital.  We dont close and have to make myself available if needed...Look..I understand your position...just dont dismiss mine...

about 8 hours now from my initial post in this thread. And we still have not seen a drop.  Winds are starting to pick up so the rain is just around the corner...still on the edge of things.  And the storm has been downgraded to a Tropical Storm...so to this point things continue to improve for Charleston...we still expect some rain...but not as much as before...

DonM

Be safe and smart BOTL, I wish all of you and your family the best in riding the storm out, been there

"The Curmudgeon"

Brlesq

Good luck to you and your family Pete!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

PETE314

Still nothing to this point...Doing well.

CoreyMacLeod

Tomorrow night the Upstate SC is supposed to get hit pretty hard they say.  I fully expect to lose the rest of my deck roof.  Guess I won't have a choice other than to repair the damned thing.  As of this writing, the wind is picking up, but that's all.  Beautiful sunset this evening.
No Signature Necessary.

kurtb718

Good luck Pete & Corey

PETE314

Just a little rain last night...not much going on this morning...rain should start up again soon and last until tomorrow...Charleston is doing well...

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.