Beegerply

Are any Geeks out there going to the Big Smoke this year.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Kid Montana

For those not in the know...

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/big-smoke-las-vegas-2018-tickets-on-sale-now

I won't be making it on account of other travel plans but I will some year or another...

I'd rather have a cigar...

headfirst

One of these years I will get there, but not this year.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Cfickter

Maybe I just don't see the value.  I have done Cigar Fest and that left a bad taste in my mouth.  Can't see standing lines, would rather take the $900 and invest in some cigars I do want for sure.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

headfirst

I've never been to any of these type of events.  Do most of the veteran geeks feel the same way about them?  Maybe I should take it off my bucket list.  Are there any festival events like this that geeks feel are worth the time and money?
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Beegerply

This will be my second time is, the value worth the price not really, lol. For me its just a fun event to go to and have a good time with some buddy's. I had planned to go on the Cigar Safari down in Nicaragua but that didn't work out do to the unrest. So the Big Smoke was my back up plan.  :biggrin:
Byron

Cfickter

Quoteheadfirst - 9/26/2018  2:35 AM  I've never been to any of these type of events.  Do most of the veteran geeks feel the same way about them?  Maybe I should take it off my bucket list.  Are there any festival events like this that geeks feel are worth the time and money?

I can only speak for my experience at Cigar Fest and I looked at event pictures from past Big Smoke events to see similar crowds.  I know that a number of Geeks have been then and can far better speak to the experience than me.  Cigar Fest would have been better in a larger venue, for at one time up to 6,000 people to be there it was way too crowded.  The other issue I had with Cigar Fest was the quality of the cigars, sure you walk away with up to 100 cigars but there were about 10 I would normally buy. 

I would say if it is on your bucket list, do it!  Don't let an old curmudgeon like me keep you away from an event that you may truly like.   

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Brlesq

I think that every serious cigar smoker should experience at least one cigar event/festival that features a large number of cigar manufacturers and gives you the opportunity to meet the master blenders and brand owners personally to talk with them.  Its fun at least once, maybe more depending on the event.  But Chuck is right about the crowds being large (but what convention type event isn't?) and the majority of the cigars handed out not being in my wheelhouse to smoke.  So the question becomes:  Are you going for the value, or are you going for the experience?  It is certainly a much better experience if you go with a bunch of buddies and rent a house. You might even make new friends like PurosIndios did. :biggrin:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

ninfiction

I've been to the Big Smoke in Vegas twice. I've gone with a group of 10-12 including my dad. We make a weekend of it, couple dinners, lots of cigar smoking. I agree with the other guys, the cigars aren't worth the price. The event is fun though, like Bruce mentioned to get to meet and talk to many of the blenders and brand owners and I think that's cool.

You also get food and drink at the Big Smoke, I wouldn't say that changes the "value" much but it's something.

The last couple years for the Big Smoke they have offered VIP tickets which means early entry by an hour I think. The first time I went this was not offered and it took the entire time for me to collect my cigars from each booth. With the VIP the crowd is split in about 2 so it's much easier to get around and visit each booth because the crowd is split up. Even though everyone is still in the same "room" it felt a lot less crowded. I did not get VIP. Half our group did though so they were able to save a table.

The key is to have plan. You get tickets to exchange for the cigars. What we do is have specific guys collect for everyone for certain booths that we all don't want to visit, like Rocky Patel. We send one guy to get everyone's cigar.

I haven't gone the last couple years but my group goes every year and I think I'll go again next year. But I go for the experience and hanging out with the group that I know who are from all over the country.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Beegerply

Quoteninfiction - 9/26/2018  5:53 PM

I've been to the Big Smoke in Vegas twice. I've gone with a group of 10-12 including my dad. We make a weekend of it, couple dinners, lots of cigar smoking. I agree with the other guys, the cigars aren't worth the price. The event is fun though, like Bruce mentioned to get to meet and talk to many of the blenders and brand owners and I think that's cool.

You also get food and drink at the Big Smoke, I wouldn't say that changes the "value" much but it's something.

The last couple years for the Big Smoke they have offered VIP tickets which means early entry by an hour I think. The first time I went this was not offered and it took the entire time for me to collect my cigars from each booth. With the VIP the crowd is split in about 2 so it's much easier to get around and visit each booth because the crowd is split up. Even though everyone is still in the same "room" it felt a lot less crowded. I did not get VIP. Half our group did though so they were able to save a table.

The key is to have plan. You get tickets to exchange for the cigars. What we do is have specific guys collect for everyone for certain booths that we all don't want to visit, like Rocky Patel. We send one guy to get everyone's cigar.

I haven't gone the last couple years but my group goes every year and I think I'll go again next year. But I go for the experience and hanging out with the group that I know who are from all over the country.[/QUOTE

I got the VIP tickets this year that includes both Friday and Saturday Big Smoke plus the seminars. That last Time I went I met a couple of other guys that go every year and showed me a buddy the ropes to get all the cigars. It is a great experience. The first year I went I met Jackal and Rebecca both nice people.     :biggrin:
Byron

Rebecca Silverwolf

I've been to Big Smoke three times, and found it to be well worth what was spent for it. I've had a VIP pass each time, and enjoyed the seminars far more than the actual night on the show floor. Meeting some of the giants of the industry was pretty great as well. Not making it back this year, but hoping to again.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Cfickter

QuoteRebecca Silverwolf - 9/26/2018  11:17 PM  I've been to Big Smoke three times, and found it to be well worth what was spent for it. I've had a VIP pass each time, and enjoyed the seminars far more than the actual night on the show floor. Meeting some of the giants of the industry was pretty great as well. Not making it back this year, but hoping to again.

Great to hear from you!  Miss you on the herfs 

Rebecca Silverwolf

QuoteCfickter - 9/27/2018  8:21 AM

QuoteRebecca Silverwolf - 9/26/2018  11:17 PM  I've been to Big Smoke three times, and found it to be well worth what was spent for it. I've had a VIP pass each time, and enjoyed the seminars far more than the actual night on the show floor. Meeting some of the giants of the industry was pretty great as well. Not making it back this year, but hoping to again.

Great to hear from you!  Miss you on the herfs 

I am hoping to be back more regularly soon, once things in life settle down a bit more.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.