Great article at Developing Palates, "when a 90 is not a 90."

Started by Kid Montana, 12/11/2018 08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cfickter

Quite frankly this all a bunch of guessing and speculation.  Generally, the critique scales used have assigned a value to four general, widely accepted, criteria and a summary.  The number 100 was more than likely chosen not because it relates to any existing scale totally unrelated to cigars but for two reasons.  First 100 is a number allowing for minor variations in scoring, 85 vs 84.  You could use a 10-point system and allow for ratings in the 10th like 8.5 but that makes it harder to distribute across categories.  The second reason is 100 equals perfection.  Something most people see as the pinnacle.  Everyone wants 100% on their tests.  Everyone wants 100% of the vote, except Democrats who seems to think you can have more votes than voters, but that is an argument for another time and another thread.

As for how many get rated at 90, that should be totally independent of any rating site.  We are not pushing cigars into a bell curve where only so many get in the 90 club.  Cigars should be rated on a standalone basis, on their own merit.

The issue in comparing cigar ratings is greatly compounded by introducing humans into the equation.  Humans bring problems.  We walk into a cigar review with too many preconceived notions.  We like this wrapper, or this manufacture, we like more medium than full.  We like robustos more than perfectos.  These notions are already adding or subtracting points.  Even in the case of a blind review, people who like lighter cigars see a broadleaf wrapper and are already thinking they may not like this one.  I recently ran a critique where the reviewer gave it a significantly lower rating, not because it was a bad cigar, but because it wasn't in his preferred profile.

Now I will agree that people who may rate a cigar on the much lower end of the scale, say in the 70's, as mentioned, might be somewhat hesitant in posting that score.  Again, welcome humans.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Hot Stuff x

QuoteKid Montana - 12/11/2018  11:57 PM    Based on the last analysis I did here at Cigar Geeks, a cigar needs a 95+ Geek Critique score to differentiate itself.

Was that based on all reviews, on Geek Critiques, or what? 

I think a lot of people here do some study before buying cigars, and stick to blends they already think thy will like based on the brand, the blender, country of origin, previous reviews, et cetera, and so the odds of them getting a cigar they will rate highly is pretty good in the first place.  A Phillies Grape might be a 30 rated cigar, but not to many Cigar Geeks are smoking those.  Just sticking to premium handmade cigars already gets you an above average smoke, so it's really not surprising to find highly-rated cigars to be the norm here and on the enthusiast review sites.

If I remember correctly, Cigar Aficionado has an explainer  in their review section that breaks out their scores, something like this (which I made up):   95-100 = flawless;  90-95 a great cigar with one or two minor flaws;  80-90  good cigars with some minor faults;  70-80 a decent everyday cigar, serviceable but not noteworthy;  below 70 -- not recommended.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

Kid Montana

QuoteHot Stuff x - 12/19/2018  4:16 AM

QuoteKid Montana - 12/11/2018  11:57 PM    Based on the last analysis I did here at Cigar Geeks, a cigar needs a 95+ Geek Critique score to differentiate itself.

I think a lot of people here do some study before buying cigars, and stick to blends they already think thy will like based on the brand, the blender, country of origin, previous reviews, et cetera, and so the odds of them getting a cigar they will rate highly is pretty good in the first place.  A Phillies Grape might be a 30 rated cigar, but not to many Cigar Geeks are smoking those.  Just sticking to premium handmade cigars already gets you an above average smoke, so it's really not surprising to find highly-rated cigars to be the norm here and on the enthusiast review sites.

If I remember correctly, Cigar Aficionado has an explainer  in their review section that breaks out their scores, something like this (which I made up):   95-100 = flawless;  90-95 a great cigar with one or two minor flaws;  80-90  good cigars with some minor faults;  70-80 a decent everyday cigar, serviceable but not noteworthy;  below 70 -- not recommended.

It was based off the Geek Critiques.  I trying to recall off the top of my head, but the average was 87 or 88 with a standard deviation of 5.8 or something like that; a cigar with a 94 was within one standard deviation of the average, implying its not statistically better than any thing else.

I'd rather have a cigar...

Cfickter

QuoteKid Montana - 12/19/2018  10:18 AM  
QuoteHot Stuff x - 12/19/2018  4:16 AM  

It was based off the Geek Critiques.  I trying to recall off the top of my head, but the average was 87 or 88 with a standard deviation of 5.8 or something like that; a cigar with a 94 was within one standard deviation of the average, implying its not statistically better than any thing else.

I would expect Geek critiques to score generally higher than the average review site.  For our critiques typically only better cigars are chosen where a site like CA will review lots of cigars so for them to have anything below 80 could be more likely.  Also we are averaging 5 reviews so a low score could be greatly improved if the others are significantly higher 

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.