Fun Police

Started by 05Venturer, 12/21/2018 09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otter

QuoteBrlesq - 12/21/2018  2:08 PM

QuoteCfickter - 12/21/2018  10:54 AM

Help help I'm being repressed!

Don't worry!  I put in a call to our local Congresswoman to help you.

:lmao:
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Brlesq

Quotetoby2 - 12/21/2018  5:59 PM

yeah that one didn't get that far gone. i think that was a case of "premature lock down" i've seen thread go down the drain and into the sewer and nothin....

It was premature something . . .

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

DonM

Quotetoby2 - 12/21/2018  8:59 PM

yeah that one didn't get that far gone. i think that was a case of "premature lock down" i've seen thread go down the drain and into the sewer and nothin....

Has to be a CG record,  it only took 23 posts to get the thread frozen.  

"The Curmudgeon"

klamm143

QuoteDRuff - 12/21/2018  12:53 PM  One word, goatse

Agreed............ :whistle:  :whistle:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :whistle:  :whistle:  

Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Deener27

QuoteDonM - 12/21/2018  5:23 PM

How far off are we here?

Quick, someone do something slightly objectionable...

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

DonM

QuoteDeener27 - 12/22/2018  11:18 AM

QuoteDonM - 12/21/2018  5:23 PM

How far off are we here?

Quick, someone do something slightly objectionable...

:lmao:

It appears that isn't very hard to do  

"The Curmudgeon"

tuck0411

QuoteKid Montana - 12/21/2018  7:43 AM

Somebody call the Whaambulance.  Poor lil tuck was getting dogpiled by a bunch of meanies, he needed rescuing.

Hardly.  From my angle, the "meanies" were dogpiling themselves and looking pretty silly in the process.  But it was all in the name of "professionalism", of course...  :snoring:
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

bstessl

Tuck, the bottom line here is that you shouldn't turn a review into a watered down story.  Try to keep to pertinent information to the cigar itself.
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

tuck0411

Quotebstessl - 12/23/2018  11:47 AM

Tuck, the bottom line here is that you shouldn't turn a review into a watered down story.  Try to keep to pertinent information to the cigar itself.

Says who?  My reviewing style is my own.  Everyone has their own style and who is any one person to say what's correct and what isn't?  You wouldn't like it if I critiqued your style and tried to tell you the right and wrong way to do it.  So, don't try and do that to me, please and thanks.  

Crimeny, this place is a bit more geeky than I had first thought....   :notamused:
Todd

appollo

Heres my take.If you want to tell a story about smoking a stick ,I'm fine with that as long as you include details about the stick like wrapper,burn smoking time,smoke out put,taste you get,etc.it makes for a good story.When I read a review and it includes nothing like this its a waste of time.Sometimes the story for me makes a more interesting read,if its a good story I can picture myslf there.If you enjoy smoking the last half of the stick the next day,well"power to you brother"I know I'm not doing it,not my thing.This is your choice.Anyways that is my take on the review thing.

tuck0411

Quoteappollo - 12/23/2018  12:11 PM

Heres my take.If you want to tell a story about smoking a stick ,I'm fine with that as long as you include details about the stick like wrapper,burn smoking time,smoke out put,taste you get,etc.it makes for a good story.When I read a review and it includes nothing like this its a waste of time.Sometimes the story for me makes a more interesting read.If you enjoy smoking the last half of the stick the next day,well"power to you brother"I know I'm not doing it,not my thing.This is your choice.Anyways that is my take on the review thing.

Thank you, Stephen.  For the record, I am endeavoring to improve the quality of my reviews to include some of the details you mention.  I've been meaning to start including burn time, for example, but keep forgetting to record the time I light the stick.  I think that's going to end tonight, though, when I smoke another one of your bomb sticks.... Stay tuned.  :smoker2:

As for the story stuff, I really don't think I include all that much extraneous stuff, or at least not enough to warrant all the uproar in various threads lately.  But apparently some folks just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.  And that's proven by the fact that no one's forcing them to click on my reviews when they show up in the list.  You don't like my stuff, don't read it, but I am going to keep posting it, so best to get used to it unless you just like making your blood pressure rise over stuff that's not really that important in the larger scheme of things.    :cigarman:
Todd

appollo

Quotetuck0411 - 12/23/2018  4:21 PM

Quoteappollo - 12/23/2018  12:11 PM

Heres my take.If you want to tell a story about smoking a stick ,I'm fine with that as long as you include details about the stick like wrapper,burn smoking time,smoke out put,taste you get,etc.it makes for a good story.When I read a review and it includes nothing like this its a waste of time.Sometimes the story for me makes a more interesting read.If you enjoy smoking the last half of the stick the next day,well"power to you brother"I know I'm not doing it,not my thing.This is your choice.Anyways that is my take on the review thing.

Thank you, Stephen.  For the record, I am endeavoring to improve the quality of my reviews to include some of the details you mention.  I've been meaning to start including burn time, for example, but keep forgetting to record the time I light the stick.  I think that's going to end tonight, though, when I smoke another one of your bomb sticks.... Stay tuned.  :smoker2:

As for the story stuff, I really don't think I include all that much extraneous stuff, or at least not enough to warrant all the uproar in various threads lately.  But apparently some folks just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.  And that's proven by the fact that no one's forcing them to click on my reviews when they show up in the list.  You don't like my stuff, don't read it, but I am going to keep posting it, so best to get used to it unless you just like making your blood pressure rise over stuff that's not really that important in the larger scheme of things.    :cigarman:
Todd been reading your reviews and it is getting better brother I myself like the read and that is my choice

Brlesq

Quotetuck0411 - 12/23/2018  10:54 AM

Somebody call the Whaambulance.  Poor lil tuck was getting dogpiled by a bunch of meanies, he needed rescuing.

Hardly.  From my angle, the "meanies" were dogpiling themselves and looking pretty silly in the process.  But it was all in the name of "professionalism", of course...  :snoring:

Tuck, its hard to disagree with you that many of the comments lacked "professionalism".  There were probably better ways of getting the point across. But since these couple of threads began on 12/21, you have posted 4 more reviews, and all of them were much more about reviewing a cigar and much less about the ambiance, so that is certainly appreciated.  Personally,  I think that your scoring of cigars is fair and objective, and you rate dog rockets appropriately as dog rockets.  You certainly put an effort into writing the review, and everybody does them differently.  Keep doing it this way and I doubt there will be more objections.      

And please note, this particular thread (Fun Police) wasn't aimed at you or even about you.  It was about a having an admin freeze a thread that clearly has not gotten out of control, or an admin that deletes threads or posts that no longer suit them. Many of us view that kind of totalitarian censorship as a much bigger transgression than any review you will post, and the site has had a lot of good members leave because of this BS.  Four+ years ago this site used to have A LOT more forum activity and members posting, and was a lot more fun to visit daily.  Most topics were fair game unless they were clearly discriminatory or NSFW. And rarely did the front page have a stale or day old topic on it. But then the the pussyfication began, and the effort to make sure that everything was politically correct and that no one's feeling ever got hurt drove away some great guys.  So that's why many folks remain frustrated.

Oh, and IBTL!

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

appollo

QuoteBrlesq - 12/23/2018  4:32 PM

Tuck, its hard to disagree with you that many of the comments lacked "professionalism".  There were probably better ways of getting the point across. But since these couple of threads began on 12/21, you have posted 4 more reviews, and all of them were much more about reviewing a cigar and much less about the ambiance, so that is certainly appreciated.  Personally,  I think that your scoring of cigars is fair and objective, and you rate dog rockets appropriately as dog rockets.  You certainly put an effort into writing the review, and everybody does them differently.  Keep doing it this way and I doubt there will be more objections.      

And please note, this particular thread (Fun Police) wasn't aimed at you or even about you.  It was about a having an admin freeze a thread that clearly has not gotten out of control, or an admin that deletes threads or posts that no longer suit them. Many of us view that kind of totalitarian censorship as a much bigger transgression than any review you will post, and the site has had a lot of good members leave because of this BS.  Four+ years ago this site used to have A LOT more forum activity and members posting, and was a lot more fun to visit daily.  Most topics were fair game unless they were clearly discriminatory or NSFW. And rarely did the front page have a stale or day old topic on it. But then the the pussyfication began, and the effort to make sure that everything was politically correct and that no one's feeling ever got hurt drove away some great guys.  So that's why many folks remain frustrated.

Oh, and IBTL!

Well put Bruce. :-)

tuck0411

QuoteBrlesq - 12/23/2018  12:32 PM

Oh, and IBTL!

Thanks for the comments, Bruce.  Although, I haven't yet figured out what "IBTL" means, but I'm sure a light bulb will go off shortly...

I can't guarantee there won't be more "ambiance" stuff as I do enjoy adding context once in awhile.  Clearly, some like it and some don't.  Oh well, I'm not going to try and please everyone....

As for this thread not being aimed at me, noted, but Kid Montana did mention me in particular, which I felt was worth responding to.  As for censorship in general, yeah, I'm not a fan of it either, as evidenced by my resistance to writing my reviews a particular way.  I think if the other thread hadn't been frozen, we could have worked out our differences in a civil enough manner, or at least I hope we could have.  I'm certainly not here to make enemies and I hope no one else is, either.  And on that note, I think I'm going to go smoke one....  :smoker2:
Todd

Brlesq

Quotetuck0411 - 12/23/2018  3:44 PM

QuoteBrlesq - 12/23/2018  12:32 PM

Oh, and IBTL!

Thanks for the comments, Bruce.  Although, I haven't yet figured out what "IBTL" means, but I'm sure a light bulb will go off shortly...

I can't guarantee there won't be more "ambiance" stuff as I do enjoy adding context once in awhile.  Clearly, some like it and some don't.  Oh well, I'm not going to try and please everyone....

As for this thread not being aimed at me, noted, but Kid Montana did mention me in particular, which I felt was worth responding to.  As for censorship in general, yeah, I'm not a fan of it either, as evidenced by my resistance to writing my reviews a particular way.  I think if the other thread hadn't been frozen, we could have worked out our differences in a civil enough manner, or at least I hope we could have.  I'm certainly not here to make enemies and I hope no one else is, either.  And on that note, I think I'm going to go smoke one....  :smoker2:

IBTL - In Before the Lock

Some ambiance is fine, but not when it becomes the majority of the review.

Kid Montana's post was aimed at the admin's over-reaction, not meant to be a slight at you (although I can see how you might read it that way.)

And I agree, we would have worked it all out had that thread not been frozen. Enjoy your cigar!    :cigarman:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

DRuff

Tuck,

As much as you are entitled to write your reviews how you like, I am entitled to have my opinion of them and express it. I didn't feel it necessary to call you out directly, but you figured it out pretty quickly and responded.

Knock yourself out, talk about the traffic jams, and include as much extraneous info as you feel is needed to get it to the point you're looking for. I just don't get it.   :bigthumbs:

The locking of the thread was heavy handed and without merit, but that doesn't seem to matter these days.

junglepete

For the record, there has never ever been a thread here that has been frozen or deleted without Paul's consent or knowledge. I strongly suggest to anyone who has an issue with that to please contact Paul directly and express your concerns rather than to lay any blame where it does not belong.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

bstessl

Tuck, I'm just trying to give you helpful advice, constructive criticism of you will.  As said by others, write your story, but keep it focused on the cigar details.
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

tuck0411

Quotebstessl - 12/23/2018  3:12 PM

Tuck, I'm just trying to give you helpful advice, constructive criticism of you will.  As said by others, write your story, but keep it focused on the cigar details.

I always try to do that.  And I'd challenge anyone to point out a particular review where I focused less on the cigar details and more on other stuff.  I've never come remotely close to approaching DonM's parody review of his La Palina and I'd appreciate an acknowledgement of that fact.

That said, I'm about to post a parody of the parody, just because....  but I'd bet I still won't come close to what I've been accused of doing....
Todd

tuck0411

QuoteDRuff - 12/23/2018  2:32 PM

Tuck,

As much as you are entitled to write your reviews how you like, I am entitled to have my opinion of them and express it. I didn't feel it necessary to call you out directly, but you figured it out pretty quickly and responded.

Knock yourself out, talk about the traffic jams, and include as much extraneous info as you feel is needed to get it to the point you're looking for. I just don't get it.   :bigthumbs:

The locking of the thread was heavy handed and without merit, but that doesn't seem to matter these days.

Hey man, it's kind of ironic that I'm still being taken to task for my review style in a thread entitled "Fun police", eh?  I'm trying to have fun, both with the smoking and with the reviewing.  Is this hobby not supposed to be fun?  I get that some take it more seriously than that and think we should strive for "professionalism" with the reviews, but that just ain't me and never will be regardless of how many folks complain about it.  Like I said, if you just can't handle my style, don't read my stuff.  But I will read yours, if you'd get around to posting some, and furthermore, I won't give you any grief over your style, either, and that's a promise.   :bigthumbs:
Todd

DRuff

Quotetuck0411 - 12/23/2018  8:44 PM  

Tuck,

Hey man, it's kind of ironic that I'm still being taken to task for my review style in a thread entitled "Fun police", eh?  I'm trying to have fun, both with the smoking and with the reviewing.  Is this hobby not supposed to be fun?  I get that some take it more seriously than that and think we should strive for "professionalism" with the reviews, but that just ain't me and never will be regardless of how many folks complain about it.  Like I said, if you just can't handle my style, don't read my stuff.  But I will read yours, if you'd get around to posting some, and furthermore, I won't give you any grief over your style, either, and that's a promise.   :bigthumbs:

Interesting you say that, as I have done quote a few Geek critiques. Reviews are not really my bag, I much rather being part of a group review and comparing findings. Check out my feedback and you will see them, if you are interested. Feel free to give me grief, being from New Jersey originally and working in NYC, you would be hard pressed to hurt my feelings.

If you'd like, join the hangout we are on now, the link is on the front page https://hangouts.google.com/call/g7msewchbgkjnnbt6x2kjljyjea?no_rd . It's a Google Hangout, all you need is a webcam, we'd be glad to have you.  :bigthumbs:

SenorPablo

Hey guys - don't blame Pete for this.  He pointed me to the thread and I made the call that it seemed like you guys had got your point across.  It started feeling like it was devolving to the point of piling on a new guy who seemed to have good intentions.  Sorry if I ruffled some feathers in shutting it down.  Now you can pile on me...been around you guys long enough that I have the thick skin to show for it.  :biggrin:

-Paul

Quotejunglepete - 12/23/2018  5:48 PM

For the record, there has never ever been a thread here that has been frozen or deleted without Paul's consent or knowledge. I strongly suggest to anyone who has an issue with that to please contact Paul directly and express your concerns rather than to lay any blame where it does not belong.
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

tuck0411

QuoteDRuff - 12/23/2018  5:54 PM

Quotetuck0411 - 12/23/2018  8:44 PM  

Tuck,

Interesting you say that, as I have done quote a few Geek critiques. Reviews are not really my bag, I much rather being part of a group review and comparing findings. Check out my feedback and you will see them, if you are interested. Feel free to give me grief, being from New Jersey originally and working in NYC, you would be hard pressed to hurt my feelings.

If you'd like, join the hangout we are on now, the link is on the front page https://hangouts.google.com/call/g7msewchbgkjnnbt6x2kjljyjea?no_rd . It's a Google Hangout, all you need is a webcam, we'd be glad to have you.  :bigthumbs:

Thanks, Doug, appreciate the invite.  I don't own a webcam, but if I come across a good deal on one, I may make an appearance in the hangout.
Todd

Deener27

Been busy getting ready for the epic Christmas dinners...what did I miss?

:-0  :-0  :dukem:

Keep it on the cigars.  It's just that easy.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.