Temp over RH ?

Started by Valetnlv, 07/05/2019 09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valetnlv

I understand that most people will say it is more important to have the right RH over temperature. My question is for Cuban Cigars,  is it safe to store them at 62 to 64 degrees for long term storage over a year?, Thanks.

ninfiction

I live in Minnesota and keep all my cigars in my basement. Even during the summer the temp doesn't get above the 60's. Currently sitting at about 67f now. During the winter it drops down into the lower 60's. I've had no issues. Smoked a Cuaba yesterday from 2013 and it smoked wonderfully.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

appollo

Quoteninfiction - 7/5/2019  12:51 PM

I live in Minnesota and keep all my cigars in my basement. Even during the summer the temp doesn't get above the 60's. Currently sitting at about 67f now. During the winter it drops down into the lower 60's. I've had no issues. Smoked a Cuaba yesterday from 2013 and it smoked wonderfully.
Agree with Brian the weather here in Nova Scotia keeps my basement the same.The Cubans are fine.

Cigary

It's fine for Cubans to be stored like that...most hobbyists I know do that without any worry and say that there isn't any residual issues at that RH.  I tend to store all of my cigars...CC or NC @65% because of the variance of a hygro being wrong.  65% gives me a latitude in both directions and I tend to be a purist when it comes to tastes and essential oils....the lower the RH the more risk of losing the oils and once they are gone....you can't get em back as they will dissipate to Cigar Hell.  At least storage at 65% is going to give you a better chance and as far as temps are concerned....keep em at a risk free number...70 - 74 and keep it stable...bouncing numbers are the enemy of great tasting cigars.  The constant up/down will keep cigars from a true balance of character and taste....think of it as that great spot roast you had and want to preserve that taste but you barely keep the foil over the pot and then throw it into the fridge where that salmon you had before will migrate into that wonderful meal and then you got some bad juju going on next time you want that great pot roast you want....now it tastes like salmon running up stream.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.