Traveling/Flying With Cigars

Started by Silverstix, 01/28/2019 08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrow34

Good to hear!  I always bring a cutter, I don't like to precut due to potential damage in transit after the cut.  But understandable that you didn't want to bother.  I might be buying a soto... I am not sure though since I don't travel that much and might just bring a few disposibles, now that I know you can fly with them.

PETE314

So I thought I would revive this thread as I am about to fly for a short trip.  I am doing a carry-on only, so I am facing the same questions.  And I am a hair away from purchasing the SOTO Pocket Torch mentioned above.  But what I am going to do instead is bring cedar spills.  I mean, you can find matches ANYWHERE.  And so I think it a perfect solution.  I don't think there is any danger of confiscation.  I will get 25 spills for less than the torch(or 50 for the same price as the torch).  I love cigars...but I won't be smoking 25 over a weekend.  So I will have some left over for other times and other trips.  I may even have some spare veneer to break into spills as well and may not have to purchase.  Or for 7 bucks I can get 5 small sheets from Amazon...

I am more concerned about my cigar cutter.  I do have a couple cheap cutters (but they cut like....well you know...) I am just so used to the beautiful cuts I get from my Palio's and my Colibri V Cut.  I have a couple punches that are also key rings so I will try to bring those.  Is it worth the risk of losing a Palio (I mean I can replace it pretty easily from CBid for around $10)???  I don't believe I will bring my cigar reamer...I think that would be taken 100%.

Not so worried about the cigars.  As I mentioned above, I have several sizes.  I will probably bring the 15 count and a bag with a couple coffins. (I want a selection and have extras for others.)
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

Cfickter

Pete, it is always a tough call for me.  I tend to error on the side of being safe and not losing my favorite cutter by not taking it.  I see it as a gamble, never bet more than you could afford to lose.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

StogieDad

I started buying Djeep lighters off Amazon because the Fuente ones look cool and are cheap in multiple packs.  Fits the disposable bill with a little more style than a Bic if you are into that kinda thing.  I think the flame is a bit higher as well.  Once I started buying though, I use them a good bit normally.  Kind of like a match, the soft flame forces me to slow down and savor the first few moments of my stick rather than torch it.  Good for travel, good for home, good overall.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

PETE314

QuoteCfickter - 10/24/2019  11:31 AM  Pete, it is always a tough call for me.  I tend to error on the side of being safe and not losing my favorite cutter by not taking it.  I see it as a gamble, never bet more than you could afford to lose.

Yeah...I know...I mean I won't be able to replace my Palio for what I bought it for...lol  People on CBid have caught on...LOL  I will be able to replace somewhat cheaply.  So not necessarily worried about cost....I think it is more of the principle of the thing and not wanting to risk dealing with the aggravation...LOL  Plus...I love my Palio...There is a sentimental aspect to it...LMAO!!!!

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

Cfickter

QuotePETE314 - 10/24/2019  9:36 AM  

QuoteCfickter - 10/24/2019  11:31 AM  Pete, it is always a tough call for me.  I tend to error on the side of being safe and not losing my favorite cutter by not taking it.  I see it as a gamble, never bet more than you could afford to lose.

Yeah...I know...I mean I won't be able to replace my Palio for what I bought it for...lol  People on CBid have caught on...LOL  I will be able to replace somewhat cheaply.  So not necessarily worried about cost....I think it is more of the principle of the thing and not wanting to risk dealing with the aggravation...LOL  Plus...I love my Palio...There is a sentimental aspect to it...LMAO!!!!

Like you I was stocking up on Palios on C-Bid.  Was getting for under $15 (the unbranded ones), can still find some deals

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

arrow34

I fly all of the time with a xikar cutter no issues, they dont even bat an eye.  They do if and when i bring a torch.  So bics it is. But no worries on a cutter.  The one issue I have witnessed were cigar scissors on a multi-tool which is a no-no.

Silverstix

QuotePETE314 - 10/24/2019  7:53 AM  So I thought I would revive this thread as I am about to fly for a short trip.  I am doing a carry-on only, so I am facing the same questions.  And I am a hair away from purchasing the SOTO Pocket Torch mentioned above.  But what I am going to do instead is bring cedar spills.  I mean, you can find matches ANYWHERE.  And so I think it a perfect solution.  I don't think there is any danger of confiscation.  I will get 25 spills for less than the torch(or 50 for the same price as the torch).  I love cigars...but I won't be smoking 25 over a weekend.  So I will have some left over for other times and other trips.  I may even have some spare veneer to break into spills as well and may not have to purchase.  Or for 7 bucks I can get 5 small sheets from Amazon...  I am more concerned about my cigar cutter.  I do have a couple cheap cutters (but they cut like....well you know...) I am just so used to the beautiful cuts I get from my Palio's and my Colibri V Cut.  I have a couple punches that are also key rings so I will try to bring those.  Is it worth the risk of losing a Palio (I mean I can replace it pretty easily from CBid for around $10)???  I don't believe I will bring my cigar reamer...I think that would be taken 100%.  Not so worried about the cigars.  As I mentioned above, I have several sizes.  I will probably bring the 15 count and a bag with a couple coffins. (I want a selection and have extras for others.)

I was worried about the cutter too.  My solution was just to clip the cigars at home before I left, that way no worries about my cutter being taken and not getting my balls busted  

Silverstix

The soto lighter torch/case really worked great though, I can vouch for it.  It allows you to just bring a regular bic lighter with you, or just buy a cheap lighter while you're on vacation and VOILA!

Murphy223

Been traveling a bunch lately - Cutter is fine.. Lighter that I had forgot I brought with me got snagged and tossed.   I bring a cheap cutter or punch with me now and just pick up matches or cheap lighter at my destination

PETE314

QuoteMurphy223 - 10/24/2019  3:00 PM  Been traveling a bunch lately - Cutter is fine.. Lighter that I had forgot I brought with me got snagged and tossed.   I bring a cheap cutter or punch with me now and just pick up matches or cheap lighter at my destination

Was your cutter in checked or carry-on???

Murphy223

QuotePETE314 - 10/24/2019  12:14 PM  

QuoteMurphy223 - 10/24/2019  3:00 PM  Been traveling a bunch lately - Cutter is fine.. Lighter that I had forgot I brought with me got snagged and tossed.   I bring a cheap cutter or punch with me now and just pick up matches or cheap lighter at my destination

Carry On Backpack with my Herf-a-dor .  Never had a problem but use a cheap one just in case

arrow34

QuoteMurphy223 - 10/24/2019  12:16 PM

QuotePETE314 - 10/24/2019  12:14 PM  

Carry On Backpack with my Herf-a-dor .  Never had a problem but use a cheap one just in case

Same here i travel with both a large herfador and an aluminum 7 count carrier.  Never even bee questioned on the butter.  Glad others have the same experience.  I used to bring a cheapo, but dont now that i know i will get hassled more about my laptop then my cigar cutter

nirab

I fly with a cheap cutter in my suitcase, usually placed inside a shoe, with a sock hiding it. Hasn't been an issue yet...yet!  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.