Acronyms in cigar reviews

Started by DRuff, 02/09/2021 08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuck0411

QuoteBrlesq - 2/25/2021  10:41 AM

Quotetuck0411 - 2/24/2021  8:49 PM

QuoteBrlesq - 2/24/2021  6:12 AM

Quotetuck0411 - 2/9/2021  11:04 PM

Doug's not getting much help here, so as someone who uses said acronyms, here are the ones I use and their meanings:

- PLA means pre-light aroma, aka the sniff test resulting in a whiff of... usually just tobacco, at least in my case.  As I've mentioned in various reviews, my sniffer ain't up to much so I rarely detect the aromas others get.
- PLD means pre-light draw, or how tight or open the draw is.  I think some use it to also mean the flavors they detect from sucking on an unlit cigar.  I don't use it that way as I rarely get any flavors that way.
- I think I've seen PLT used, which I believe is intended to mean pre-light taste.  See PLD above...

I don't know where you came up with these acronyms, but they are not universal and don't seem to appear in any other cigar forums that I'm on, or even a Google search for that matter (using the PLA+cigar). Only you and Druid use these for the most part. Are you in a secret club that we don't know about?    :confused:

Must be!  I got them from seeing Druid use them and assumed they were widely used.  But, this is in fact the only cigar forum I frequent, so that was indeed only an assumption and apparently not a good one...   :smoker2:

:lmao: Thanks for that revelation, Todd.  These made up acronyms are driving at least a few people crazy. "Prelight aroma" and "prelight draw" (or "cold draw") read a whole lot better.

Hmm.  There are indeed crazy things going on in the world, but if someone is going off the deep end over acronyms in cigar reviews on an obscure internet forum, I'm not sure what to say.  It's also worth noting that this is the third time the subject of my reviews has come up, and each time it's involved a complaint.  I responded to the first instance and changed my review style.  The 2nd involved someone just unhappy that I was doing reviews at all, so that was ignored.  This time it's again more about the style.  I dunno, I suppose if this is going to be a forum rule that all acronyms have to be approved in advance of useage, I'd probably comply as long as it were enforced with everyone, but if it's just a suggestion, then I think I will just thank you for the input and continue to do it my way.  Along with adding some encouragement that those inclined to complain about my reviews actually do some reviews of their own.  And I promise not to complain about them....   :smoker2:
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

DRuff

I did not complain, I merely made an observation. I have worked for 3 major tech companies who use a ton of acronyms and have actually had acronym handbooks. I always found this puzzling. I tend to use acronyms with people I work with who use and know the acronyms. Other than than that I try not to. It's not always easy, especially when dealing with customers, but I try not to because it can be confusing and my goal is deliver understanding, not confusion.

Tuck, do your thing, freedom of speech and all that jazz.

tuck0411

QuoteDRuff - 2/25/2021  8:19 PM

I did not complain, I merely made an observation. I have worked for 3 major tech companies who use a ton of acronyms and have actually had acronym handbooks. I always found this puzzling. I tend to use acronyms with people I work with who use and know the acronyms. Other than than that I try not to. It's not always easy, especially when dealing with customers, but I try not to because it can be confusing and my goal is deliver understanding, not confusion.

Tuck, do your thing, freedom of speech and all that jazz.

Doug, I think I may have something for you tomorrow morning.  Stay tuned...   :smoker2:
Todd

lowpro75

Quotetuck0411 - 2/26/2021  1:24 AM

QuoteBrlesq - 2/25/2021  10:41 AM

Quotetuck0411 - 2/24/2021  8:49 PM

QuoteBrlesq - 2/24/2021  6:12 AM

Quotetuck0411 - 2/9/2021  11:04 PM

Doug's not getting much help here, so as someone who uses said acronyms, here are the ones I use and their meanings:

- PLA means pre-light aroma, aka the sniff test resulting in a whiff of... usually just tobacco, at least in my case.  As I've mentioned in various reviews, my sniffer ain't up to much so I rarely detect the aromas others get.
- PLD means pre-light draw, or how tight or open the draw is.  I think some use it to also mean the flavors they detect from sucking on an unlit cigar.  I don't use it that way as I rarely get any flavors that way.
- I think I've seen PLT used, which I believe is intended to mean pre-light taste.  See PLD above...

I don't know where you came up with these acronyms, but they are not universal and don't seem to appear in any other cigar forums that I'm on, or even a Google search for that matter (using the PLA+cigar). Only you and Druid use these for the most part. Are you in a secret club that we don't know about?    :confused:

Must be!  I got them from seeing Druid use them and assumed they were widely used.  But, this is in fact the only cigar forum I frequent, so that was indeed only an assumption and apparently not a good one...   :smoker2:

:lmao: Thanks for that revelation, Todd.  These made up acronyms are driving at least a few people crazy. "Prelight aroma" and "prelight draw" (or "cold draw") read a whole lot better.

Hmm.  There are indeed crazy things going on in the world, but if someone is going off the deep end over acronyms in cigar reviews on an obscure internet forum, I'm not sure what to say.  It's also worth noting that this is the third time the subject of my reviews has come up, and each time it's involved a complaint.  I responded to the first instance and changed my review style.  The 2nd involved someone just unhappy that I was doing reviews at all, so that was ignored.  This time it's again more about the style.  I dunno, I suppose if this is going to be a forum rule that all acronyms have to be approved in advance of useage, I'd probably comply as long as it were enforced with everyone, but if it's just a suggestion, then I think I will just thank you for the input and continue to do it my way.  Along with adding some encouragement that those inclined to complain about my reviews actually do some reviews of their own.  And I promise not to complain about them....   :smoker2:

WNHTYNH - We're not happy til you're not happy!
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

ntanner

Just do you Todd and if someone doesn't like it then they don't have to read it but you whining about their whining isn't getting you anywhere. Maybe get some thicker skin so the gnats don't bother you so much.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

DRuff

I haven't seen any whining in this thread.

tuck0411

QuoteDRuff - 3/3/2021  6:41 AM

I haven't seen any whining in this thread.

Me neither, but I'd like to take this opportunity to whine about where my Trader badge went.  I want it back!   :angry:
Todd

DRuff

Quotetuck0411 - 3/3/2021  8:17 PM  
QuoteDRuff - 3/3/2021  6:41 AM  I haven't seen any whining in this thread.
Me neither, but I'd like to take this opportunity to whine about where my Trader badge went.  I want it back!   :angry:

:lmao:  :bigthumbs:  

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.