Not quite a Newbie

Started by MrMoke, 05/26/2021 12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMoke

I realized recently, that although I 1st signed-on to this site on 6/7/2010 I never did get round to introducing myself so here goes, hope y'all will forgive me for being 4006 days late, lol.

I had been a long time cigarette smoker and rarely smoked cigars although I had tried a pipe for a few months ~ 30 years ago.

Then one in day in 2002 I was sitting in my doctors waiting room and picked up a magazine, ( for those of you under 30 years old, magazines are something we old folk used to read in the days before smart phones and the internet!  :-) )  can't remember what the magazine was but it had a quarter page add by Thompson cigar for a humidor complete with a 10 pack (I think) sampler of cigars, I don't recall what the cigars were, probably not very good, but good enough because I was hooked!  From then my passion grew, I bought a bigger humi, more cigars, an even bigger humi, and even more cigars, started hanging out in B&Ms and other fine establishments that allowed or preferably encouraged cigar smoking, this was at the time when cigarette smoking was being completely banned in more and more places.

My cigar consumption did not match my purchase rate so I saw  my 'collection' grow to more than 1300 at one point, I continued till some time in 2010, around when I 1st signed up here, then due to my work-life taking its toll, not having room for more humidors, lol, lifestyle changes and well I just don't know all the reasons!  But I stopped smoking and tailed off buying them from that point, taking a 9 year hiatus, although I still cared for my humidors.

Some time in 2019 and somewhat due to my wife asking 'what are you going to do with all those damn cigars that are sitting around the house!'  I started cigar smoking again on occasion.  Then, last year when 'The Rona' put an end to my commute among other lifestyle changes, I found I had much more time available at home to rekindle my passion and enjoyment of cigars.  So now I typically smoke at least one cigar a day, more if I can find the time, I have tried lighting up while I am doing something like yard work but find I don't get as much pleasure out of it I am not focused on actually enjoying it sitting arounf blowing smoke!

My 'cigar time' is usually when I walk my 13 year old dog in the mornings, we both move at such a leisurely pace that it doesn't interfere with my cigar.

So here we are, I have managed to reduce my 'collection' down to a little over 700 cigars, although I have bought more since 'restarting' my passion.  One benefit of the Hiatus I took is that I have had an extremely good choice of very well aged cigars to choose from for the past couple of years!  :-)

"The older I get the more I realize I cannot please everyone.  However, pissing everyone off is a breeze."

Beegerply

Welcome back the secound time lol, enjoy the site  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

benchjockey

Nice to have you back and contributing.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

gitfiddl

It was one of those Thompson humi combo deals that got me started in earnest too!
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

arrow34

Welcome back!  You will find we are spoiled for choice with some of the new releases and some sale prices are crazy good on cp, cigarmonster and a few other choice sites!

BewareDaPenguin

Great story! Welcome back :smoker:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Brlesq

Great intro, Enjoy the site!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

StogieDad

Nice introduction.  Welcome.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

nirab

Welcome from beeudaful Buda, Texas!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Otter

R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

nickthafish

Glad to have you around the group more!

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

05Venturer

Glad to see you came back home Michael.
Looks like you are only a couple hour drive from one of the finest cigar establishments in the state of Texas.
The Cigar Vault in Buda is run by our very own Nirab here ion Cigar Geeks. :biggrin:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

MrMoke

Yes, I saw that and have a plan!  Next time I am around Austin / San Marcos area it's going to be "Hey honey, Buda looks like a good place to stop for lunch ....", "oh look!  they have a cigar joint here!  What a surprise!"  :biggrin:
"The older I get the more I realize I cannot please everyone.  However, pissing everyone off is a breeze."

BewareDaPenguin

QuoteMrMoke - 5/27/2021  11:47 AM

Yes, I saw that and have a plan!  Next time I am around Austin / San Marcos area it's going to be "Hey honey, Buda looks like a good place to stop for lunch ....", "oh look!  they have a cigar joint here!  What a surprise!"  :biggrin:

Nicely played :thumbsup: that's how you do it :biggrin:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.