I miss the old Thompson! (gasp!)

Started by gitfiddl, 06/27/2021 10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitfiddl

I'm sure I'm in a very small minority here, but as I smoke a dang good and no longer available Thompson TCC Cameroon Lonsdale, I find myself actually missing the old pre-General Cigar Thompson.  The little cherrywood desktop humidors I got from them10-15 years ago as part of their humi-combos are the most stable of all my desktops.  They're gone, too.  So are the very serviceable yard-gar and "always on sale" Phoenix line of cigars.  Another Thompson exclusive that I liked that has gone the way of the dodo are the
Don Rafael Sun Grown cigars.  At least they still have the Don Ludo stuff...
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

arrow34

DonM

Yea, I miss their phone calls the day after I placed the order asking how I liked the cigars.......before they were even delivered.  That was one of maybe 2 times that I ordered from them

"The Curmudgeon"

Brlesq

I miss all of the bonus life insurance and magazine sales pitches that would follow a Thompson's order after they sold your information
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

MrMoke

It was Thompson that got me smoking cigars!  I guess I miss them not calling to get me to 'subscribe' to a monthly box of cigars. :)
"The older I get the more I realize I cannot please everyone.  However, pissing everyone off is a breeze."

MrMoke

I also remember them advertising they had 'the world's largest humidor' and when I was visiting a client in Tampa decided to drop in and see.  Basically they had a warehouse building that was humidity controlled and yes, there was a shop attached to it.  Not sure how effective their humidity control was but I never did haave a problem with their cigars myself but have seen the horror storeies posted in various places online.
"The older I get the more I realize I cannot please everyone.  However, pissing everyone off is a breeze."

gitfiddl

I never got a phone call from them.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

MrMoke

Quotegitfiddl - 6/28/2021  3:59 PM

Did you give them the phone number of someone you don't like?  :dancing:

gitfiddl

QuoteMrMoke - 6/28/2021  6:08 PM

Quotegitfiddl - 6/28/2021  3:59 PM

Did you give them the phone number of someone you don't like?  :dancing:

Some dude named Don Miller I think... :biggrin:

Seriously though, they never called me, nor do I remember an inordinate increase in spam/junk mail I could link yo them.

gitfiddl

I just remember it being nice to have another major independent supplier of sorts.  I can't see much distinction now at all between them and CI.

tuck0411

Quotegitfiddl - 6/28/2021  3:29 PM

I just remember it being nice to have another major independent supplier of sorts.  I can't see much distinction now at all between them and CI.

That's because they're both owned by the same parent company.  I've actually gotten sticks from C-bid (CI) with Thompson labels on them.

Have to admit it was Thompson that got my very first stick order after my buddy, Ozz, got me interested in smoking.  I think it was the "Po' Boy Sampler" or somesuch.  They got a few more orders from me before I discovered CI and then C-bid.  Both of which have in turn mostly given way to more high-end vendors like Small Batch and Privada.  And of course the guilty pleasure of biting on frequent irresistible deals from Cigar Page...  :smoker2:
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

Vroomp

Some exclusive blends they sold have four star reviews here!
Just sayin'.............
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.