Short Filler? You Decide, Please.

Started by junglepete, 07/01/2021 10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junglepete

Room 101 Teufel Hund Habano

This is the description from cigarpage.com : "Gorgeous, leathery Habano wrapper around a PA Broadleaf binder and a secret long-filler recipe..."

Here is a pic of the dissected cigar. Left to right is the wrapper, binder, and one other full leaf of tobacco. The rest was piled into that third layer.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

BewareDaPenguin

Sure looks like short filler when dissected to me :?:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

junglepete

Based on this description, I am guessing mixed filler.

"LONG-FILLER

Long-filler refers to whole tobacco leaves that essentially run the length of the cigar. A lot of the nicest cigars will be focusing on long-filler, and it's generally a sign of quality. Tobacco leaves range in length, but are generally several inches long. This use of long-filler may even have driven common cigar lengths.

SHORT-FILLER

Short-filler is chopped tobacco. Instead of using whole leaves, a short-filled cigar uses trimmings, choppings and other plant and leaf parts. A cigar made with short-filler tends to burn faster and often a bit hotter than a long-filled cigar. Machine-made cigars also tend to be made with short-filler.

MIXED-FILLER

We'll give you three guesses as to what mixed-filler is, and the first two don't count.

Okay, in case you've recently suffered a cranial trauma, we'll be explicit: mixed filler involves the use of both long and short-filler. One well-known use is the "Cuban sandwich" approach in which short-filler is rolled in whole leaves.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Long-filler burns slowly, evenly, and gives a better smoke. Short-filler is a bit rougher, and may even give you leaf particles in your mouth during the smoke. Some cigar manufacturers combat these problems by using a double binder. Mixed filler can give some of the advantages and drawbacks of each, depending on construction. If you just want one take away, however, it's this: cigars made with long fillers are usually higher quality."
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

tuck0411

Looks like mixed-filler to me.  It would explain the low cost of these sticks.  Looks like false advertising on the part of Cigar Page, though...

The sampler I got of these included the habano, maduro, and Connecticut blends.  I may bump them up my review schedule a bit after a bit more rest time just to satisfy my own curiousity about them and see if I want to purchase them in any other vitolas.  I'm good with mixed or even all short filler as long as it smokes well and tastes good.   :smoker2:
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

junglepete

I thought it both smoked well and tasted well too. It's just not long filler as advertised.
Guru of Frugality

tuck0411

Quotejunglepete - 7/1/2021  6:50 PM

I thought it both smoked well and tasted well too. It's just not long filler as advertised.

Seems possible CP assumed it was long filler and wasn't told differently.  And probably didn't do the dissection test....
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

amigodecigars

The photo looks exactly like the Cuban Cohiba in a glass top box that a tourist bought in Costa Rica......SF...........hahahaha
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

junglepete

Kudos to cigarpage.com. Amber in customer service was top notch and emails were answered promptly. I never asked for a refund and said that I just wanted them to know about the discrepancy. Here was their refreshing reply:

Customer Care (FieldSupply.com)
Jul 1, 2021, 12:01 PM EDT

Hello again!

Thank you for getting this over to us. I went ahead and sent this over to my Cigar Team who reviewed and checked out the cigars and have stated these are indeed a "mixed filler" cigar. The website will be updated accordingly.

I am also issuing you a full refund of $24.19 for the cigars due to our error. There will be no need to return them to us at all. Please allow 2-3 business days to view the refund back to your original method of payment.

Again, thank you for brining this to our attention. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Have a great day!

Amber
Customer Care Department
Brandshopper Stores
Family-owned and Family-operated
Guru of Frugality

Mautrak

It's easy to look good when everything goes perfectly.  But when something goes wrong and there's a problem, that's what shows the true character of a company.  Good on them.

Quotejunglepete - 7/2/2021  12:09 PM

Kudos to cigarpage.com. Amber in customer service was top notch and emails were answered promptly. I never asked for a refund and said that I just wanted them to know about the discrepancy. Here was their refreshing reply:

shakinghorizons

Great experience, thanks for sharing!

benchjockey

I buy a lot from CP so it's good to know they had your back.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

MrMoke

Hat's off to cp.com for putting it right!  I'm guessing they just take what the manufacturer says at face value.  I don't think they'd have the time to dissect cigars they get from wholesale without pushing the price up, time is money!
"The older I get the more I realize I cannot please everyone.  However, pissing everyone off is a breeze."

MrMoke

Kudos to Pete as well, I don't think I'd have the patience to surgically dissect a cigar the way he did.  I just like to set 'em afire :D
"The older I get the more I realize I cannot please everyone.  However, pissing everyone off is a breeze."

junglepete

Well, I did try to put it all back together  :blech: and so I do declare that the original rolling took some great skill in the first place. I won't submit a picture of my result, which looked ten times worse that an exploding bugs bunny cigar. It went straight into the trash.  :rolleyes:
Guru of Frugality

gitfiddl

What's the old saying?  "Put that in your pipe and smoke it"?
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

junglepete

I should have, but I've given pipes a go a few times without the satisfaction I desired.
Guru of Frugality

bstessl

"long filler 'recipe'" does not equal "long filler"
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.