Another Cigar Rating/Scoring/Reviewing System

Started by junglepete, 02/06/2022 05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junglepete

I like this one better than ours:

By https://developingpalates.com/scoring-system/

There are seven categories of which only six contribute to the scores; Pre-Light Experience, First Third Flavor, Second Third Flavor, Final Third Flavor, Burn, Draw and Overall Experience. Each category is weighted into how much it contributes to the final score as we don't feel that all categories should count evenly. A breakdown of the weighting is as follows:

Pre-Light Experience – 0%: Even though we describe our experience in this category and give it a ranking, it does not factor in to the score. In our opinion, the look and smell of a cigar before being lit has little effect over whether or not we'll enjoy the cigar. This is similar to the "Go, over show" concept that people into cars will understand.

Each Thirds Flavor – 21%: We feel flavor should be the biggest factor in the rating of a cigar, and that is why the weighting is so high. In adding the thirds, they contribute 63% of the total score.

Burn – 6%: Although burn can have a major effect on the experience, especially if it just won't burn, we think too many people get caught up on whether the burn line is razor sharp. To us, the burn can be wavy. We don't usually go back to the lighter unless there is a drastic issue.

Draw – 9%: Draw is fairly important to the scoring as it can have a huge impact on the experience. If you have a draw issue too far in regards to being loose or tight it will have an impact on flavor and may overheat the cigar based on how you try to deal with it.

Overall – 22%: This category allows for taking the entire experience into account. Specific categories individually may have done really well or really poorly, but when everything comes together, how was the experience?
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

headfirst

Totally agree that to me personally, the flavor matters most and that pre-light shouldn't factor into the score.

However, flavor is subjective to individual tastes.  Someone may give low scores there because they don't happen to like the flavors whereas someone else will score it high because it does resonate for them.  Seems like too much of the score is given to something that will be subjective?
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Shukpaw

Flavor is #1.

Burn is nice, but I own at least one lighter, and feel experienced enough to be able to handle any burn issues.  So long as the cigar doesn't fall apart...  

Draw is important.  Too fast, hot and bitter.  Too tight and I feel like I worked too hard, and my cheeks hurt from sucking too hard.  I have had cigars where I spend so much time recutting it and jabbing it with metal rods and toothpicks, that I feel like I'm performing surgery.

To review each third properly, place a Sharpie mark on the wrapper, so you know when you are transitioning from one third to another.

I do consider value.  I try not to let that effect my reviews.  If a $10 cigar is 2% better than a $5 cigar, which one do you think I will buy in the future?  Trick question.  I will buy the $2 cigar that is 90% as good as the $10, but has burn issues.  Which I have already pointed out I can handle.

I have always thought that the pre-light experience is very overrated.  Unless the band is cool, and I don't have one.  Then I'm willing to throw a couple more bucks at the cigar.  But I'm disproving my point.  What I'm trying to say is I care more about the cigar's personality than the way it looks.

It is an interesting article.  I also found the discussion of how to rate beer interesting.  Thanks for sharing, Pete.
I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

appollo

Flavor is the most important but Gary is right it is very subjective to the reviewers taste.and the preverbal'" ïn my wheelhouse "which will elevate the points considerable.I do believe the taste is worth 50% with the rest being divided by the rest with construction and burn being next most important.Just my 2 cents worth.This is one reason I would never review a Connie.

Vroomp

Quoteappollo - 2/8/2022  2:53 PM  Flavor is the most important but Gary is right it is very subjective to the reviewers taste.and the preverbal'" ïn my wheelhouse "which will elevate the points considerable.I do believe the taste is worth 50% with the rest being divided by the rest with construction and burn being next most important.Just my 2 cents worth.This is one reason I would never review a Connie.

You Musta never smoked a Xiphos Connecticut~!!!  :biggrin:

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

appollo

QuoteVroomp - 2/8/2022  9:48 PM

Quoteappollo - 2/8/2022  2:53 PM  Flavor is the most important but Gary is right it is very subjective to the reviewers taste.and the preverbal'" ïn my wheelhouse "which will elevate the points considerable.I do believe the taste is worth 50% with the rest being divided by the rest with construction and burn being next most important.Just my 2 cents worth.This is one reason I would never review a Connie.

You Musta never smoked a Xiphos Connecticut~!!!  :biggrin:No I can say I never had the pleasure,  

:-)

DonM

Greetings Gents!

I always thought the current CG review with 30 pts for construction was high, but still important.  I consider burn and draw an important aspect, but is still subject to how the cigar was stored before the review.  Flavor is #1 in my book and should be a good percentage of the review.

My current review process is cut it, light it, and smoke it.  Did I like it? If yes, buy more

Cheers!

"The Curmudgeon"

Brlesq

QuoteDonM - 2/9/2022  10:44 AM
My current review process is cut it, light it, and smoke it.  Did I like it? If yes, buy more, if I remember what I smoked.

Cheers!

Fixed that for you, buddy!

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

DonM

QuoteBrlesq - 2/9/2022  1:55 PM

My current review process is cut it, light it, and smoke it.  Did I like it? If yes, buy more, if I remember what I smoked.

Cheers!

:lmao:

"The Curmudgeon"

McBryde

QuoteBrlesq - 2/9/2022  9:55 AM

Cheers!

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.