2023 Cigar Geeks Stogies and Bogeys

Started by Deener27, 03/31/2023 07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deener27

Welcome to the Annual Cigar Geeks Masters Fantasy Golf Tournament!

Here is the whole skinny:

We will be running this one through Masters.com.  They have a great platform for the scoring system we will use (outlined below) and you can also enter for prizes on their public tournament.

Enter by letting us know in the thread below AND by sending me a PM with your email address.  I have created a private league on the Masters site and the email address is used to send you everything you need to know/how to submit your entry.

Veteran status or higher on Geeks is a must.

Everyone participating will put up a 5'er of good quality cigars (looking for $7 to $15 per stick).  After the conclusion of the tournament, we will declare a winner from our group based on the scoring system and send our 5'er to the winner within a week of the conclusion of the even.  If you do not intend to pay up or abide by the rules as set forth, be warned that negative feedback will result unless other arrangements have been approved by me.

Per the Masters, here is how the scoring and picks work:

Scoring
The scoring for the contest is separate from the usual Masters 72-hole medal-play format. The Modified Stableford format rewards aggressive play, so players who are prone to make more eagles and birdies are probably more attractive as picks. The scoring is as follows:

Hole by Hole Scoring
Double Eagle: 8 points
Eagle: 5 points
Birdie: 2 points
Par: 0 points
Bogey: -1 point
Double Bogey or more: - 3 points (ouch)

End of Round Bonuses
A Round One pick completes a Round: 1 point per Round

End of Tournament Bonuses
Picked Low Amateur: 5 points
Picked Tournament Champion: 5 points

Selections

Please have you initial selections completed Wednesday night, April 5th.

Participants pick one player from each of these categories:

1) First-time Masters participants (pros and amateurs):
Amateurs and first timers have always been an integral part of the Masters, with co-Founder Bobby Jones being one of the most famous and accomplished amateurs of all time. Continue the tradition by picking who you think will become one of the legends of tomorrow. Risk/reward plays a big role here: Having the Low Amateur on your roster will net you five bonus points. Or you can play the safer route and pick one of the first-time professionals. Some pertinent historic information: Only three first-time players have ever won the Masters – Horton Smith in the first Masters (1934), Gene Sarazen (1935) and Fuzzy Zoeller (1979).An amateur has never won the Masters, even though Frank Stranahan (1947), Ken Venturi (1956) and Charlie Coe (1961) all finished second.

2) Former Masters Champions:
The most battle-tested group in the field. Of the 85 Masters Tournaments contested, 31 have been won by former champions. These players know the course better than anyone in the field, keeping many in contention well into their 50s.

3) United States players (born in the United States):
The largest group of players in the field.

4) International players (born outside the United States)

If you don't know much about a player, read up on their bio or see what the press has to say about them from the In the Media tab as selected by IBM's Watson. Watson has also highlighted key stats in the Statistics tab.

There are no ties for prizes, so users will also be prompted to submit a tiebreaker at the conclusion of completing their roster selections.

*New for 2023: Amateurs do not receive negative points for bogey or worse, making them potentially some of the best players on your team

Your roster is automatically added to "My Group" so you can watch every shot from your team. Also, you can sign up for the Newsletter to get nightly updates on the action.

Any questions, let me know.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Beegerply

I'm in, have to try and defend my title :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

ninfiction

Much like the NCAA contest, I have a fiver I could send someone so I'll participate.

Tiger is still #1 right?
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Bob Cordell

I dont have sense enough to play!
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Deener27

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Deener27

Brian, Byron and Chuck.  Got you on the list.  I'll get you the invites either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thanks for playing again this year guys!

StogieDad

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Cfickter

My picks are in
Good luck to everybody

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Kid Montana

You know, I'll give it a shot.  Sign me up. 

I'd rather have a cigar...

Brlesq

Picks made.  Might change a few, but wanted to at least get something in before I forgot!  ;-)

It's going to be an interesting Masters this year with 17 LIV golfers in the field with the PGA golfers (and other invitees).  Time for both sides to either put up or shut up! 
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Brlesq

I can't find a place to enter my roster for the general public Masters contest, only just for our private group.  Am I missing something obvious, or are you automatically entered with the private pool submission?  :confused:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Deener27

Just a heads up, I messed up my handle on the Masters site, so my entry name is also the league name and couldn't change it.

Deener27

Quote from: Brlesq on 04/02/2023 07:32 PMI can't find a place to enter my roster for the general public Masters contest, only just for our private group.  Am I missing something obvious, or are you automatically entered with the private pool submission?  :confused:

I believe that once you entered the private pool, you were also enabled for the tournament-wide prize contest too.  Last year, once the tournament started, I was able to see my rankings both in the Geeks pool and all of the site-wide participants.

Too bad the overall winner of the tournament-wide pool doesn't get a couple of weekly patrons badges from them though.

Beegerply

Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Deener27

Hi everyone.  Tomorrow is the final day to enter.  I would love to have you join.

Another great pool to get in.

Send me a message.

Kid Montana

My picks are also in.  What time does it "go live"?  First tee off tomorrow?

Brlesq

Yup.

The Par 3 Family Day was a lot of fun to watch this afternoon

Quote from: Kid Montana on 04/05/2023 06:53 PMMy picks are also in.  What time does it "go live"?  First tee off tomorrow?
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Deener27

Quote from: Kid Montana on 04/05/2023 06:53 PMMy picks are also in.  What time does it "go live"?  First tee off tomorrow?

It gets started in about 5 minutes here.

One of the neat things is that you can follow your group live as they play through Masters.com.

Deener27

Good Luck everyone.

I hope you have as much fun this year as I have had hosting it.

Deener27

Congrats to Cfickter on your win today.  Our defending champion put up one helluva fight to the end and actually ended tied with Chuck, however, Chuck won the tie-breaker.

It was a great tournament with tons of up's, down's, weather and drama.

Let's please get out cigars out in short order to our winner.

Thank you all for participating.  I hope to see you all next year!

Cfickter

Great contest thanks for setting up. It was a mail bitter for sure. Needed Cantley to par 18 to insure a tie

Deener27

Quote from: Cfickter on 04/10/2023 12:29 PMGreat contest thanks for setting up. It was a mail bitter for sure. Needed Cantley to par 18 to insure a tie

Congrats again.  I don't know what it's like to be involved in a mail biter, but I'm sure it was interesting.

Enjoy the packages as they start to roll in.

Kid Montana

Chuck, cigars are on the way, enjoy! 

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.