Newbie guide to cigar brands...

Started by Alekso, 06/23/2023 04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alekso

So being a newbie to the staggering options that the sale sites offer, I find it all a bit overwhelming.

I have decided to go slow, and not give into the very well executed marketing the sites seem to have down to a science; however, it would be helpful to have some general guidance in where to start.

I have read the beginner guides and suggestions, but they all are lists of specific cigars, down to the vitola of what to smoke, and that isn't really my style.

I would much prefer to have suggestions from you guys like this:

• Which major manufacturers are most consistently putting out quality cigars?
  • Which small / unknown / boutique manufacturers consistently put out quality cigars?
  • Which budget / 2nds manufacturers are consistently putting out quality cigars that punch above the price point?
  • Which manufacturers should I avoid no matter the deal?

I am still figuring out my preferences in the strength / CoO / wrapper / shape etc, but I am open to trying everything many times to figure that out. I understand that there are strong opinions about some types of cigars (infused comes to mind), but I'm not looking for suggestions based on your tastes; I'm looking for manufacturers that put out consistent product, that are doing it with a keen eye towards quality control, and are not trying to unecessarily soak the cigar consumer for every penny they have.

I ask these things because I don't have easy access to a B&M with a good  tobacconist to advise me, and while the reviews here and elsewhere are very helpful when looking at a specific vitola, it doesn't help when I want to deep dive into the offerings of a manufacturer - or if some affordable special hits my mailbox.

If I have some general top level guidelines for manufacturers, I am happy to have the occasional bad stick, it will help sharpen my tastes and palette. I just don't want to buy  XXXX's greatest hits sampler and be stuck with 5-20 cigars that have no redeeming qualities.

I hope this all makes sense, and thank you all for the knowledge and help. Hopefully this will be useful for other newbies that come along.
Old age is not convenient.
- L. Zamenhof

Caveman Steve

I'll put in my 2c worth.

I love just about everything from Crowned Heads. 

I'd stay away from Ghurka.  I'm sure others may echo that sentiment!

Hope you figure out what you like and enjoy the process!

Cheers :beer:
"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

Alekso

Quote from: Caveman Steve on 06/23/2023 04:28 PMI'll put in my 2c worth.

I love just about everything from Crowned Heads. 

I'd stay away from Ghurka.  I'm sure others may echo that sentiment!

Hope you figure out what you like and enjoy the process!

Cheers :beer:
@Caveman Steve , thanks so much! This is exactly what I am looking for!
- L. Zamenhof

tuck0411

Quote from: Alekso on 06/23/2023 04:12 PM
  • Which major manufacturers are most consistently putting out quality cigars?
  • Which small / unknown / boutique manufacturers consistently put out quality cigars?
  • Which budget / 2nds manufacturers are consistently putting out quality cigars that punch above the price point?
  • Which manufacturers should I avoid no matter the deal?

- Oliva makes great sticks, at least from a construction angle.  I'm not a fan of all of their blends, but some are quite good, and nearly all are very well made, at least in my experience.
- 2nd the Crowned Head recommendation.  Another one that comes to mind is Stallone.  I think I've thoroughly enjoyed every stick I've had from that brand, both blend-wise and construction-wise.
- Oliva is about the only brand I've tried 2nds from to any great extent.  Those are bargains wherever you can find them.  I think I've seen them advertised at Cigar Page quite often recently, but I used to get mine from CI and C-bid.
- Brands to avoid - 2nd the Gurkha warning and I'd add Rocky Patel.  RP has some pretty decent blends but they are pretty consistently poorly made sticks and worth trying only if you don't mind uneven burns and having to give your smokes lots of touch-ups.  If you buy any RP's, get some extra butane, too!
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

appollo

Well I have to say also crowned heads[anything]
-agree with tuck on the oliva brand never had one with poor construction and The V series being my preferred Blend-
-foundation makes a nice stick along with Anganorsa,HVC and warped
-Ghurka,RP yea not good-
-everyone has different flavors that they like.Big thing for me in any stick is being smooth with no bitterness and a fairly good burn with good smoke output
-enjoy the hobby

Alekso

@appollo Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Quote from: appollo on 06/23/2023 06:29 PM-everyone has different flavors that they like.Big thing for me in any stick is being smooth with no bitterness and a fairly good burn with good smoke output
-enjoy the hobby
This is exactly what I am looking for... I'll figure out the flavors as I go, but I want to avoid the houses that have reps for bad or inconsistent construction, flaws that keep appearing in their product, one hit wonders (or they get lucky every once in a while) and companies looking only at the profit margin and short term success.
- L. Zamenhof

nathanw13

There's not much that Drew Estates puts out that I don't enjoy.  Just be aware that the Acid line are infused cigars - a lot of people don't care for them (myself included) but obviously you should make that judgment call for yourself. The Drew Estate Factory Smokes are hard to beat for a budget cigar, and can frequently be found at about 1.50$ a stick.

Welcome to the lifestyle, and have fun figuring it all out!
Our country has plenty of five-cent cigars, but the trouble is they charge fifteen cents for them.

Will Rogers

headfirst

Lots of sage advice here already.  RP and Gurkha are the two that popped into my head to avoid in general.  A few more I usually avoid are:

-Espinosa, though I will make two exceptions to that rule (Warhead and Sarsaparilla)
-non-Cuban versions of Cuban labels (Cohiba, H. Upmann, Partagas, etc.).  Montecristo might be the one exception I'd make to that rule, at least certain blends like Espada

In addition to some of the brands that are consistently good mentioned above, I'd add:
-Don Pepin Garcia/My Father
-Padron
-AJ Fernandez
-Alec Bradley
-Ashton
-BLTC and BWS
-JC Newman stuff (Diamond Crown, etc)
-E.P. Carrillo
-Kristoff (similar to Oliva, never had a bad one, some blends better than others)
-Oscar Valladares stuff (Leaf blends)
-Plasencia
-Tatuaje

Smaller boutique stuff that is good:
-Flatbed (particularly the homestead lines)

But with all that said, to each his own.  If you like Gurkha, smoke Gurkha and don't let anyone judge you for it (and save the good cigars for the rest of us  :lmao: )
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

BewareDaPenguin

I'm a pretty big Padron, Fuente & Liga Privada fan myself :smoker: recently been smoking more Davidoff as well.

Brands I stay away from are Gurka anymore, been that way for a while now for me, I'm sure there's a few good ones...unfortunelty it's been the same for Rocky P for me as well, I really used to enjoy a few lines, but I think quality control & quantity control are a few of those big brand issues, as some have mentioned.

As far as new boutique stuff, I can't speak much on that front, I haven't smoked much newer stuff, I pretty much "like what I like" now at this point, whether that's good or bad I don't know, but I keep my humidor stocked with sticks I enjoy, haven"t been very adventurous the last 5-6 years :smoker:

Cigar flavors are really in the eye of the beholder IMO, you might have a similar experience as others if you read a few of the reviews as you get more experienced in picking up flavors, but really everyone's pallet is different so a cigar I may enjoy, you may not like, and vice-versa. It's a great hobby, like I said enjoy the journey!
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Bob Cordell

I tend to like maduros with a dark chocolate, coffee, earthy, spicy, peppery notes. Some of my favorite maduros:

!. Any maduro made by Fuente, especially the Gran Reserva and the Hemingway maduro lines 
2. El Rey del Mundo "Oscuro" variety.
3. Montecristo Black Inspirado  Series
4. CAO L'Anniversaire Maduro as well as The Brazllia
5. Padron Thousand Series

Just a few like...

"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

ntanner

Caldwell cigars is another good one I didn't see listed.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

shakinghorizons

ADVentura is a great boutique - especially The Royal Return Queen's Pearls Lancero

Bob Cordell

"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Beegerply

RoMa Craft cigars are another boutique blend that's really good.  Also Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Nikon_Assasin

Foundation
Warped
Princple Cigars
Aganorsa
El Septimo
Viaje
Stolen Throne
H. Upmann

amigodecigars

I have always enjoyed AJ Fernandez sticks.  I sent you a PM.
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

Alekso

QuoteI have always enjoyed AJ Fernandez sticks.  I sent you a PM.
@amigodecigars got it and replied.  :smoker2:
- L. Zamenhof

ntanner

Smoking a Cedrus and realized Southern Draw hadn't been mentioned yet.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Unco-B

Oliva has been my go-to brand for years. Even their budget stuff is great-tasting, if a little inconsistent in construction.

I didn't see Plasencia mentioned. That's another favorite brand.

Others for me...

EP Carillo
AJ Fernandez
Arturo Fuentes

I also enjoy cheap smokes like Ron Mexico (please don't hate) or random cheap bundles from Cigars International or Famous.

Didn't realize there was so much dislike for Rocky Patel and Gurkha. I have never tried them but ordered a five pack from each to try.

As far as sizes are concerned, I prefer a ring gauge of 50-52 in Robusto or Toro lengths.

I'm any case, like any hobby you gotta try a bunch. Luckily this hobby ain't like guitars. I've got a bunch of those too... :)

Alekso

Crowned Heads
Oliva
Stallone
Oliva 2nds
Foundation
Charter Oak
El Güegüense
Olmec
The Tabernacle Havana
Anganorsa
HVC
Warped
Drew Estates
Drew Estate Factory Smokes
Don Pepin Garcia/My Father
Padron
AJ Fernandez
DÍAS DE GLORIA
RAMON ALLONES
BELLAS ARTES
SAN LOTANO
ENCLAVE
NEW WORLD
Last Call
Alec Bradley
Ashton
Black Label Trading Company
Black Works Studio
J. C. Newman
Diamond Crown
Julius Caesar
The American
Cuesta Rey
Perla del Mar
Baton
Brickhouse
Quorum
E.P. Carrillo
Kristoff
Oscar Valladares stuff (Leaf blends)
Plasencia
Tatuaje
Flatbed (particularly the homestead lines)
Arturo Fuente
Liga Privada
Davidoff
El Rey del Mundo
Montectisto (esp Black Inspirado  Series)
CAO (esp Brazilia & L'Anniversaire Maduro)
Caldwell cigars
ADVentura
RoMa Craft
Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
Principle Cigars
El Septimo
Viaje
Stolen Throne
H. Upmann
Aging Room
Casdagli
Illusione
Aladino
Southern Draw
La Flor Dominicana

Recommended with Reservations
Espinosa (except for Warhead and Sarsaparilla)[/size]

Avoid
Gurkha
Rocky Patel

Budget
Bolivar (NIC) all
Alec Bradley V2L
Curivari
Sancho Panza
HC Series
Oliva 2nds
Drew Estate Factory Smokes

Small Cigars
Arturo Fuente Breva
Arturo Fuente Cubanitos
Arturo Fuente Exquisitos
Davidoff Churchill -petite corona and petite torpedo
PLASENCIA RESERVA ORIGINAL NESTICOS
- L. Zamenhof

tuck0411

Personally, I'd move Espinosa to the "Good" list, but that may just be me.  I've enjoyed most of the sticks I've had from that brand.
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

benchjockey

I also enjoy several Espinosa blends.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Alekso

Okay, updated to include a "Recommend with Reservations" section to allow for brands that make good product but might need a little DB research before buying.
- L. Zamenhof

McBryde

How in the world did LFD not make the list? It is one of the most consistently good quality smokes that I have ever smoked, whether it is an old cigar of theirs, or a new one. They are mostly a full bodied cigar though!

Add those to your Good list, you won't be dissapointed!

BTW, welcome to the site, from an Arkansan!

Emerson
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Cfickter

Only one passing mention of Dunbarton. Surprising. Probably the hottest brand right now. Great, broad line of blends. Quality construction. Not a bad cigar in the line IMHO.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.