The premium cigar industry has won its lawsuit against FDA.

Started by amigodecigars, 08/10/2023 08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amigodecigars

Judge Amit P. Mehta of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia has ruled in the premium cigar industry's favor by vacating the U.S. Food & Drug Administration's (FDA) deeming regulations for premium cigars. The ruling means that the deeming regulations introduced by the agency in 2016 do not apply to any cigar that meets the court's definition of "premium cigar," meaning that those cigars are unregulated by FDA.  :dancing:

That definition is the same one that has been used in this lawsuit since it was proposed in August 2020, it says a cigar is considered a "premium cigar" if it meets all of the following criteria:

is wrapped in whole tobacco leaf;
contains a 100 percent leaf tobacco binder;
contains at least 50 percent (of the filler by weight) long filler tobacco (i.e., whole tobacco leaves that run the length of the cigar);
is handmade or hand rolled (i.e., no machinery was used apart from simple tools, such as scissors to cut the tobacco prior to rolling);
has no filter, nontobacco tip, or nontobacco mouthpiece;
does not have a characterizing flavor other than tobacco;
contains only tobacco, water, and vegetable gum with no other ingredients or additives;
and weighs more than 6 pounds per 1,000 units.
In short, any non-flavored cigar you find sold in a humidor in the U.S. should qualify. There will be some exceptions, but the vast majority of large, non-flavored cigars will qualify.

More information at: https://halfwheel.com/premium-cigar-industry-beats-fda-in-court-regulations-vacated/428214/
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

gitfiddl

Good news, but by the definition of "premium cigars" it sounds like most of the major labels' "fumas" offerings don't qualify, nor will any other short-filler cigar.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Alekso

As a pipe smoker I am hoping the hand slap the FDA got in this case will make them a little more hesitant to go full court press against pipe tobacco and all hand rolled cigars, not just premium.
Old age is not convenient.
- L. Zamenhof

ntanner

Well it's a step in the right direction at least.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

amigodecigars

Short filler sticks will qualify if they are 50% whole leaf filler, ie. Cuban Sandwich style.  Definitely good news for the cigar manufacturers. Wrappers:  The factory in Costa Rica is dealing with problems at their farms in Ecuador, organized crime is hijacking containers full of tobacco. Kidnapping is a major threat.  Ecuador declared a state of emergency Thursday and asked the FBI to help probe the Presidential candidate shot dead after rally in Ecuador whose death has highlighted the once-peaceful nation's decline into a violent hotbed of drug trafficking and organized crime.
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

Kid Montana

I'd rather have a cigar...

McBryde

"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Caveman Steve

"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.