2023-2024 Super Bowl Squares - Chiefs Win. Check your PMs.

Started by Kid Montana, 01/04/2024 09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kid Montana

Ok Cigar Geeks, its time to sign up for the 2023/2024 NFL Football Super Bowl Squares!

First of all, thanks for your feedback on my earlier post, I have left it down below in quotes for posterity.

On Sunday, February 11th the AFC and NFC Champions will play to determine the undisputed NFL Football Champion of the World.  The final score will consist of a pair of numbers, 38-35 for example from last year's Super Bowl.  The last digit of each score is the only digit that matters, 8 and 5 in my example from last year. There will be 100 squares, each of which will line up with one digit across the top and left of the grid.  For right now, those numbers are blank, and will be randomly selected a day or so before the Super Bowl using a random number generator.

Prizes will be awarded for the winner, the reverse winner, the half time winner, the 1st quarter, and 3rd quarter.

UPDTATE: Here is the final set for the big game!  Good luck to the participants!

Prize packages

There are 95 cigars to win, the remaining 5 being a donation to CFW because nobody bought those squares.

1st Quarter - 10 cigars
Half-Time - 20 cigars
Half-Reverse - 10 cigars
3rd Quarter  - 10 cigars
Final - 35 cigars
Final Reverse - 10 cigars

The Super Bowl Squares is open to any member in good standing who has posted within the last calendar year.  Each square must be "bought" with a quality cigar with a street purchase price above $8 or MSRP above $10.  Pick your squares by listing the square #, 1 through 100.  To secure your squares, before the date cutoff you must post what each cigar is, and post a picture of the sticks.  Squares are first come first serve.  Minimum buy-in is 5 squares,  and an option to buy additional squares will be opened up once we see how many entrants we get to start out.  By joining this contest, each participant acknowledges they are obligating themselves to ship their cigars to a winner; everyone will ship to someone, even the winners.  I will be determining the prize packs and who ships to whom later.  I will PM each participant after the game is over with the address of their recipient.

Unless a site admin over-rides me, I reserve the right to tell any participant any number of their cigar submissions are not accepted, for any reason without giving justification.  To retain the squares, those participants will need to stake alternate cigars.  I want to make it fair and clear to all participants that everyone is staking quality cigars that any Cigar Geek would be happy to receive in a prize pack. 

Members may enter up until February 2nd, which is the cutoff and I'll evaluate where we stand on filling the squares.  Around that time I'll have a good idea what the prize packs will look like as well.

If there is anything that needs clarification or important details that I have forgotten, please ask!

DATES:
NOW - singups, pick your squares
02/04/2024 - Cutoff for posting cigars to secure squares
02/11/2024 - Super Bowl 58

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE - signups are opened up to 10 picks per member!  The squares have been updated, grab any extra numbers you may want.  New entrants may pick up to 10 spots.  Buy-in remains the same, one cigar per square. 

Participants are:

Participant                                 
cfickter   11   27   40   65   68   15   43   81   37   79
appolo      9   18   26   36   45   71   82   53   35   60
brlesq      3   6   16   17   28               
nirab      44   57   91   12   5   20   24   94   64   77
ninfiction   31   52   74   88   100   25   29   93   63   56
headfirst   1   13   22   34   46   55   70   78   89   97
05Venturer   2   4   99   98   50               
bstessl      23   54   10   75   87   32   61   86   47   38
Kid Montana   21   33   14   85   96   8   48   59   80   67
Bewaredapenguin   41   62   73   84   95   19   30   58   66   7
Otis      39   42   76   83   90               
CFW      49   51   69   72   92               

We still have 25 open spaces! 

Hi Geeks,

In years past I've run a number of versions of a Super Bowl squares contest, and want to guage interest.  We can do it a few ways, but I want a bit of feedback since its important to have enough entrants to fill the squares.

The whole point of a Cigar Geeks Super Bowl Squares is to stake cigars as the buy-in for each square you want.  We can do premium cigars, where there's some sort of price or desirability criteria, or open it up to any good regular cigar, so long as its not a dog rocket.  We can do 25 squares, we can do 100 squares, or we can do no squares and not have the contest though that would be a bummer.   

I'd like to get the contest started after this weekend which is the end of regular season play.  I will update this post with all the official rules and requirements once I get some feedback on participation and buy-in criteria, or whatever you may suggest.
/quote]

I'd rather have a cigar...

Cfickter

Dan, thanks for considering this. My thoughts are
25 squares over 100
Use a price guideline over calling something premium since that can mean different things to different smokers
I would say $10 - $15 range, or above if your that generous.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Cfickter

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

05Venturer

Quote from: Cfickter on 01/04/2024 10:29 AMDan, thanks for considering this. My thoughts are
25 squares over 100
Use a price guideline over calling something premium since that can mean different things to different smokers
I would say $10 - $15 range, or above if your that generous.
Agree with Chuck
And I am in
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

ninfiction

I would also be in. I also like Chucks suggestion.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

headfirst

I'll play.

What about 1 stick per square so you can still have the full 100 squares but each person takes at least 5 squares, that way you only need 20 people to play.  If you don't quite fill all the squares it's only costing the geeks another stick per square to get the board filled up.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

nirab

I'm in, and will go with the flow...however the rules are, then I shall play by them!

I believe the minimum value per cigar should be $10 and up. This is the Super Bowl, not the slightly above average bowl...just a thought!
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Cfickter

Quote from: headfirst on 01/04/2024 01:28 PMI'll play.

What about 1 stick per square so you can still have the full 100 squares but each person takes at least 5 squares, that way you only need 20 people to play.  If you don't quite fill all the squares it's only costing the geeks another stick per square to get the board filled up.

Also a good idea

appollo

Sounds interesting.Would be game for whatever way you play,but I do like Gary's idea.

Brlesq

Quote from: Cfickter on 01/04/2024 04:41 PM

Also a good idea

I Like Gary's idea as well since its hard to get participation sometimes, and only so long as we're mailing to one address (just like in the past - see 2019 pool). Minimum cigar price $10.  Thanks for organizing again Dan!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Kid Montana

Quote from: Brlesq on 01/05/2024 04:30 PM

Also a good idea

I Like Gary's idea as well since its hard to get participation sometimes, and only so long as we're mailing to one address (just like in the past - see 2019 pool). Minimum cigar price $10.  Thanks for organizing again Dan!

100 squares, five square minimum sounds like a lot of fun but if we came up short, I would have to open up a second round of picks to people who would want to do so.  Sound good?

Cfickter

Let's do this!

Quote from: Kid Montana on 01/05/2024 04:41 PM

Also a good idea

100 squares, five square minimum sounds like a lot of fun but if we came up short, I would have to open up a second round of picks to people who would want to do so.  Sound good?

appollo

headfirst

I'm game for that. 

Also a good idea

Bruce does have a point that this could complicate shipping them out.  The winnings will have to be divided up by contributing geek rather than by square I guess?  If that's possible then let's do it!
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

appollo

Quote from: headfirst on 01/05/2024 07:31 PMI'm game for that. 

Also a good idea

Bruce does have a point that this could complicate shipping them out.  The winnings will have to be divided up by contributing geek rather than by square I guess?  If that's possible then let's do it!
Maybe ,Dan can just divide the sticks up into the prize packages needed just making sure that one geeks sticks is included in one pkg to keep shipping to just one.

Cfickter

Quote from: appollo on 01/06/2024 07:17 PM

Also a good idea

Maybe ,Dan can just divide the sticks up into the prize packages needed just making sure that one geeks sticks is included in one pkg to keep shipping to just one.

Pretty sure this is how he has done it in the past

appollo

Not hard
Quote from: Cfickter on 01/06/2024 09:57 PM
Quote from: appollo on 01/06/2024 07:17 PM

Also a good idea

Pretty sure this is how he has done it in the past
Not hard to tell I'm a virgin at this game LOL.But that doesn't mean I'm a easy mark. :lmao:

Kid Montana

The rule are posted!  I went with a hybrid of the suggestions, looking forward to filling out the squares!

Cfickter

Ok I'll take 5
11, 27, 40, 65, 68

If there square later let me know

Kid Montana

appollo

'll take 5 -9,18,26,36,45 .My sticks are
-Aladino (Julio R. Eiroa) Cameroon Limited Edition
-Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Double Robusto
-Crowned Heads TAA 2022 The Lost Angel
-HVC La Rosa 520 Rare of Rare
-Warped La Colmena Amado No. 44
Here are my second 5.

headfirst

I will play but seems like you want a pic of the cigars when we sign up so I'm waiting until I have that pulled together.
-Charles Spurgeon

Brlesq

I'm in.  Boxes 3,6,16,17,28 please

Ezra Zion "The Raven"
Four Kicks Maduro Lancero LE 2018
H-Town Tatuaje Exclusive Series Lancero
Laranja Reserva Escuro Lancero
Long Live The King "My Style is Jalapeno"
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Cfickter

Quote from: Cfickter on 01/14/2024 07:10 PMOk I'll take 5
11, 27, 40, 65, 68

If there square later let me know

Sorry will get my pic posted asap
But here is what I'm thinking
Montecristo White Toro
Crowned Heads Texas Rose
Crowned Heads Tennessee Waltz
Oliva Melanio V 135th Anniversary
Alidino Corojo Reserve Torpedo

Kid Montana

Daily BUMP.  I updated the rules to make it a little easier, I split up picking numbers from posting the buy-in. 

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.