2024 Cigar Geeks Stogies and Bogeys Masters Pickem'

Started by Deener27, 04/05/2024 06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deener27

Welcome to the Annual Cigar Geeks Masters Fantasy Golf Tournament!  We are ready to have some fun.

Here is the whole skinny:

We will be running this one through Masters.com.  They have a great platform for the scoring system we will use (outlined below) and you can also enter for prizes on their public tournament.

Enter by letting us know in the thread below AND by sending me a PM with your email address.  I have created a private league on the Masters site and the email address is used to send you everything you need to know/how to submit your entry.

PICKS ARE DUE ON THE MASTERS SITE BY THE FIRST PLAYER TO TEE OFF THURSDAY, APRIL 11TH.  GET THEM IN THE NIGHT OF WEDNESDAY, APRIL 10TH TO BE SAFE.

Veteran status or higher on Geeks is a must.

Everyone participating will put up a 5'er of good quality cigars (looking for $7 to $15 per stick).  After the conclusion of the tournament, we will declare a winner from our group based on the scoring system and send our 5'er to the winner within a week of the conclusion of the even.  If you do not intend to pay up or abide by the rules as set forth, be warned that negative feedback will result unless other arrangements have been approved by me.

Per the Masters, here is how the scoring and picks work:

Scoring

The scoring for the contest is separate from the usual Masters 72-hole medal-play format. The Modified Stableford format rewards aggressive play, so players who are prone to make more eagles and birdies are probably more attractive as picks. The scoring is as follows:

Hole-by-Hole Scoring:
Double Eagle: 8 points  :biggrin:
Eagle: 5 points  8)
Birdie: 2 points
Par: 1 point
Bogey: -1 point  :whistle:
Double Bogey or more: - 3 points  :cry:
End of Round Bonuses:
A first-round pick completes a round: 1 point
(Note: this gives you an edge over someone who had to swap players due to a missed cut.)
End of Tournament Bonuses:
Picked Low Amateur: 5 points
Picked Tournament Champion: 5 points
Picked Runner(s)-up: 3 points each
*Note: Amateurs will not receive negative points for bogey or worse

Selections:
Participants pick one player from each of these categories:

Former Masters Champions:
The most battle-tested group in the field. Of the 86 Masters Tournaments contested, 31 have been won by former champions. These players know the course better than anyone in the field, keeping many in contention well into their 50s.

United States players (born in the United States):
The largest group of players in the field. American-born players won the first 24 Masters and have taken home the Green Jacket in four of the last six.

International players (born outside the United States):
International players have won three of the last 10 and 11 of the past 25 Masters. The longest drought for an international winner has been four Masters in the last 50 years (2004-07).

Wild Card (any golfer of your choice):
Your ace in the hole.  Pick one more player from anywhere in the field to round out your team and give it a unique edge.

If you don't know much about a player, read up on their bio or see what the press has to say about them from the In the Media tab as selected by IBM's Watson. Watson has also highlighted key stats in the Statistics tab.

There are no ties for prizes, so users will also be prompted to answer a tiebreaker question at the conclusion of completing their roster selections to determine the winner. If a tie still exists, the first to register with the tie-breaker answer will be the winner.

Your roster is automatically added to "My Group" so you can watch every shot from your team. Also, you can sign up for the Newsletter to get nightly updates on the action.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

headfirst

I know nothing about pro golf but I need to shed some cigars so I'm in!
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

headfirst

Like an idiot I didn't put my CG handle as my name and I don't see how to change it now.  I'm "ForChubbs" in the pool.  I called it first!   :biggrin:
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Deener27

All of the invites are out for those who have messaged here or PM'ed me.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Cfickter

Ok my picks are in. Good luck guys
Looking to defend my title

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Cfickter

Quote from: headfirst on 04/05/2024 10:16 AMLike an idiot I didn't put my CG handle as my name and I don't see how to change it now.  I'm "ForChubbs" in the pool.  I called it first!   :biggrin:

If you scroll down past ur players to the participants list under the last name is a "view/manage league" button. Click that then on your name and it will let you change it.

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

headfirst

Quote from: Cfickter on 04/05/2024 01:11 PM
Quote from: headfirst on 04/05/2024 10:16 AMLike an idiot I didn't put my CG handle as my name and I don't see how to change it now.  I'm "ForChubbs" in the pool.  I called it first!   :biggrin:

If you scroll down past ur players to the participants list under the last name is a "view/manage league" button. Click that then on your name and it will let you change it.
Thanks Chuck, never would've found that...
-Charles Spurgeon

appollo

,dave would like to get in on the action don't know alot but got some sticks to give away.

Cfickter

Quote from: headfirst on 04/06/2024 12:17 PM
Quote from: Cfickter on 04/05/2024 01:11 PM

Thanks Chuck, never would've found that...

Yeah, Not well marked or really logical

Brlesq

Quote from: appollo on 04/06/2024 02:07 PM,dave would like to get in on the action don't know alot but got some sticks to give away.

You don't need to much about golf to play this.  You basically pick 4 golfers for the entire tournament (and if one gets cut or drops out, you replace him.) Set it and forget it. I think you can kick someone off your roster too, buy it costs you points. The tabulations and results are all done automatically.  Just sit back and enjoy watching!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Cfickter

Caveman Steve

"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

Cfickter

Caveman Steve

Quote from: Cfickter on 04/09/2024 08:05 PM
Quote from: Caveman Steve on 04/09/2024 04:37 PMWhat the heck

I'll play.

Send a PM to David. Let him know
Done
Unfortunately the link didnt work
Can you resend David
sent you another PM
Will Email also

Deener27

Quote from: Caveman Steve on 04/09/2024 08:47 PM
Quote from: Cfickter on 04/09/2024 08:05 PM
Quote from: Caveman Steve on 04/09/2024 04:37 PMWhat the heck

I'll play.

Send a PM to David. Let him know
Done
Unfortunately the link didnt work
Can you resend David
sent you another PM
Will Email also

I'm on it

Deener27

Caveman Steve

Deener27

StogieDad

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Deener27

Quote from: StogieDad on 04/10/2024 09:11 AMI'd like to play!  Thanks for hosting.

The link has been sent to your email.

Thanks for joining and best of luck!

Brlesq

When you make your picks, don't forget to hit "confirm" after you hit "finish" to lock them in!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Deener27

Hi Everyone.

Last call for the Master Tourney 2024.  This is a super easy fantasy pickem, where it is set it and forget it.

The only adjustments to the fun is if one of your golfers gets cut on Friday, and even then, you get to pick another for the weekend.

Please message me if you're interested as we'd love to have a few more players to have fun with us.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.