Cigar Pass Etiquette

Started by Jackal, 07/20/2010 12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitfiddl

QuoteRebecca Silverwolf - 7/21/2010  2:01 AM

I think stating clearly what is generally accepted behavior in a pass (or any community activity) is a good thing. It avoids the assumption that everyone "should" know what they are doing, and makes sure everyone is operating on the same guidelines.

Making sure everyone knows what to do ensures that EVERYONE can have fun. New members can be confident in joining a pass, and moderators can be sure a pass will go well.

What I am getting from this is:
1. Go into a pass with good intentions and consideration for other people in the pass.
2. Be generous (it's good karma anyways!)
3. If you have questions, ask! It's okay to ask!

Everyone makes mistakes, kudos to those who are awesome enough to own their mistakes! Now we can all move forward and continue to enjoy this great community. :shades:

I think #3 above is overlooked far too often with regard to more than just cigar passes!

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

ROTHNH

Quotegitfiddl - 7/21/2010  10:08 AM

QuoteRebecca Silverwolf - 7/21/2010  2:01 AM

I think stating clearly what is generally accepted behavior in a pass (or any community activity) is a good thing. It avoids the assumption that everyone "should" know what they are doing, and makes sure everyone is operating on the same guidelines.

Making sure everyone knows what to do ensures that EVERYONE can have fun. New members can be confident in joining a pass, and moderators can be sure a pass will go well.

What I am getting from this is:
1. Go into a pass with good intentions and consideration for other people in the pass.
2. Be generous (it's good karma anyways!)
3. If you have questions, ask! It's okay to ask!

Everyone makes mistakes, kudos to those who are awesome enough to own their mistakes! Now we can all move forward and continue to enjoy this great community. :shades:

I think #3 above is overlooked far too often with regard to more than just cigar passes!

Except for the few cases of outright thievery Paul mentioned, it seems the main reason for problems in cigar passes has been the lack of knowledge.

Including these rules of cigar pass etiquette along with any other clear and specific instructions would obviate much of the problems.  

Also, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, whoever starts the pass should establish the measurement of perceived value, such as "the average of the regular posted price of one stick from a box at Famous, CI and JR as of 7/20/2010."   Ever better, the pivot man on any cigar pass should actually do the math and include the calculated prices for each stick in the box going out ... one or more special cigars in the pass should be featured and explained (believe it or not, there are newer cigar smokers out there who, as often as not, have no idea).

From what I read here, it seems clear that "honest mistakes" such as two $6 cigars don't equal a $12 cigar and other procedural rules, may not be intuitutively known, especially to the uninitiated.  

When you clearly spell it all out in writing out when you start your pass, the likelihood of problems is greatly deminished.

05Venturer

Seems like a good time for a
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

05Venturer

Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Cfickter

What we need is a cigar pass moderator etiquette !!
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

05Venturer

QuoteCfickter - 11/28/2015  8:29 AM

What we need is a cigar pass moderator etiquette !!

Yup
Kent

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.