Cigar Pass Etiquette

Started by Jackal, 07/20/2010 12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zac

Thanks for the nice write up.  It is nice to see some guidelines laid out for people like myself that have never participated in something like this.

lowpro75

Quotenwb - 7/20/2010  12:31 PM

QuoteHot Stuff x - 7/20/2010  11:45 AM

Say it with this:   The Finger

Hey Paul - any chance we can get this added to the list of emoticons?  I've needed it to respond to some of lowpro's posts.

:biggrin:

Why would anyone want to give me the finger? :confused: I mean well. :biggrin:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

gitfiddl

Quotelowpro75 - 7/20/2010  2:05 PM

Quotenwb - 7/20/2010  12:31 PM

QuoteHot Stuff x - 7/20/2010  11:45 AM

Say it with this:   The Finger

Hey Paul - any chance we can get this added to the list of emoticons?  I've needed it to respond to some of lowpro's posts.

Why would anyone want to give me the finger? :confused: I mean well. :biggrin:

You?  Never. :shades:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

grogo67

Bruce, you're a real stand-up guy.  I admire your integrity :thumbsup:
Cigar George

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em."
-Ron White

My Humidor

lowpro75

QuoteBrlesq - 7/20/2010  1:27 PM

GUILTY!  I was recently and unintentionally one of the offenders of Cigar Pass Etiquette, but didn't know it until I read Jackal's great article this morning.  My first pass was the Newbie: Quest for Karma Pass, and Jackal praised me for my puts and takes, so I thought I knew what I was doing and the training wheels came off.  Then I was invited into the Full Power Pass by HotStuffx , but I screwed up by taking a higher end stick and replacing it with some lesser priced sticks. Those training wheel should have stayed on! :-(

For the record, I did give a lot of thought and research into my puts and takes and honestly thought I was doing good.  The old Cigar Pass article says "Members should put back at least the same value as they are taking."  And I thought that meant that the value of the sticks we put in should exceed the value of the sticks we take out.  But from Jackal's latest Etiquette guide and some of the posts here, I now realize this means that a $12 stick should be replaced by another $12+ stick...not with two $6 or $7 sticks.  My bad! :banghead:

I have already spoken to HotStuffx about this and, being the prince of a guy that he is, he said to forget about it.  But that's not good enough for me, so I will be sending him something special to make up for my stupidity.

As for the rest of the CG membership, my heartfelt apologies for screwing up.  Please forgive me; it will not happen again.  And if you want to start the public tongue lashings, that's OK too.  :shamebag:

Where's the line forming? :biggrin:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

nwb

Quotelowpro75 - 7/20/2010  2:07 PM

This is where Bruce would need that finger emoticon - see?

Chief of Shaft

lowpro75

Quotenwb - 7/20/2010  2:13 PM

I kind of see your point, peckerhead. :biggrin:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

nwb

Quotelowpro75 - 7/20/2010  2:14 PM

:lmao:
Chief of Shaft

NES Tek

Quotenwb - 7/20/2010  11:16 AM

Quotelowpro75 - 7/20/2010  2:14 PM

"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

Bob Cordell

"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

metalhead y cigarguy

I have not participated in a pass yet and was hesitant on doing so, because I didn't know all the ins and outs of the process. This article helps. Thanks.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

ROTHNH

I'm nopt one to participate in passes, yet I'm impressed with the article, the comments here and at least one of our fellow Geeks who owned up to his mistake.  WTG all!

If I may be allowed to comment from the sidelines here, I think the easiest way to err (and likely in a most egregious manner) is taking ectreme care when trying to determine the "value" of a rare, very hard to find, or out of production cigar you want to take from a pass.

I don't think that it can be stressed enough "In the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make" -- The Beatles, last lyric on their last album.

MiaFLSurf

I wont take this as a coincidence that this article was written after I committed the foul of taking more than I put.  In fact, Jackal was the one that PMed me to point it out (Im sorry if I was supposed to keep this hush, Jackal).

I thought I had made it better, making sure to talk to Corey and now sending more sticks to the person with the pass to try and fix the error.

However, with this thread and article popping up right afterwards, I cant help but feel this has all come up because of something I did.

It was an honest mistake, and its hard to check prices on 50 cigars when you dont know them off hand and have basically 5 minutes a day to try and put takes and puts.

Can we include MSRP on the cigar pass page next to each cigar?  It would help people like me... a lot.

Again, Im sorry, I thought I rectified the situation, and if I did not, please tell me what to do.
110 hours a week.  52 weeks a year.

nwb

Scott - I don't think this was really directed towards you.  In the past 6 months, we have had a huge increase in the number of active members and passes.  As a matter of fact, another Geek already came out and apoligized as well.  As long as you plan to make it right and take the article into consideration on future passes, all is well  :biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

gitfiddl

QuoteMiaFLSurf - 7/20/2010  2:48 PM

I wont take this as a coincidence that this article was written after I committed the foul of taking more than I put.  In fact, Jackal was the one that PMed me to point it out (Im sorry if I was supposed to keep this hush, Jackal).

I thought I had made it better, making sure to talk to Corey and now sending more sticks to the person with the pass to try and fix the error.

However, with this thread and article popping up right afterwards, I cant help but feel this has all come up because of something I did.

It was an honest mistake, and its hard to check prices on 50 cigars when you dont know them off hand and have basically 5 minutes a day to try and put takes and puts.

Can we include MSRP on the cigar pass page next to each cigar?  It would help people like me... a lot.

Again, Im sorry, I thought I rectified the situation, and if I did not, please tell me what to do.

To the best of my knowledge, everything is fine now that it's been corrected.  You owned up to your mistake and it was an honest one.  It's not like you were out to defraud anyone.  Stop beating yourself up over it...We'll take care of that! :puncher:  :hityou:  :kickyou:

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

lowpro75

This thread is starting to feel like a confessional in a Catholic Church...

Try saying 4 Hail Mary's and 5 Our Fathers...
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

grogo67

Quotegitfiddl - 7/20/2010  1:58 PM
To the best of my knowledge, everything is fine now that it's been corrected.  You owned up to your mistake and it was an honest one.  It's not like you were out to defraud anyone.  Stop beating yourself up over it...We'll take care of that! :puncher:  :hityou:  :kickyou:

:word:
Cigar George

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em."
-Ron White

My Humidor

SenorPablo

BTW...if you guys have other articles you think would be useful and want to have published in our repository let me know.  We have a ton of knowledge in the lesser structured forums but formalizing things in articles benefits all and makes it easier to find.

Thanks again Jason!
-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Brlesq

Quote87North - 7/20/2010  3:48 PM

Quotelowpro75 - 7/20/2010  2:16 PM

Hey  - I said you could give me lashings, not post my picture in a nun suit!  :mad:   :lmao:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

87North

Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

87North

QuoteBrlesq - 7/20/2010  2:55 PM

Quote87North - 7/20/2010  3:48 PM

Hey  - I said you could give me lashings, not post my picture in a nun suit!  :mad:   :lmao:

No, I'm pretty sure that you specified Tongue Lashings which I'm pretty sure can get you arrested in public.   :shades:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

grogo67

Cigar George

-Ron White

My Humidor

Bob Cordell

You remember when the Penguin beat Belushi down the steps with that ruler in the Blues Brothers?

Thats mild compared to this bunch!

"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

DonM

QuoteBob Cordell - 7/20/2010  4:26 PM

You remember when the Penguin beat Belushi down the steps with that ruler in the Blues Brothers?

Thats mild compared to this bunch!

:word:

"The Curmudgeon"

Jackal

QuoteMiaFLSurf - 7/20/2010  11:48 AM

Actually, you weren't the reason.  There have been much more egregious issues with others.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.