anyone else here into shooting sports?

Started by emind56, 03/04/2008 10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emind56

Just curious, shooting and to a lesser extent hunting is another one of my numerous hobbies. :confused:

Duker511

I come from a small rural town where alot of people hunt, or own guns. I have been shooting and hunting for about 25 years. I also have a small gun collection from a Tauras .357 magnum to a Hungarian made AK-47. We cannot use rifles to hunt were I live so I use a 1967 Rem. Wingmaster 870 shotgun for deer hunting, and a Mossberg 800 A for turkey and small game.  :shotgun:
Tim

minesman

I dont hunt but I watch a lot of it. Dont care much for bird hunting (quail, turkey etc) but I really like watching a good whitetail hunt.

Question - why are mountain lions and bobcats hunted? I am assuming they arent edible.

Duker511

I hunt for food more than sport. Trophy hunters like to kill the biggest of the species, and to collect mounted heads and pelts. I think hunting mountain lions and bobcats fall in the trophy hunting category. Were I live we can hunt black bears, however I never got into it
 . I also like to take photos of wildlife, I guess that is my trophy hunting. :shotgun:
I dont think many people eat lions or bobcats, but you could if you wanted.
Tim

kgoings

Yes I am into shooting sports, only a different kind of shooting.

I am a photographer on the side and I shoot many different sports and make some good extra change doing it!

Proph

I shoot guns, prefer handguns, rifles are too annoying to go hiking with.  :P  Though I have been eying some .22 rifles that are for "kids", and don't weigh a lot, you can do a lot with a .22.

Also, used to play paintball and airsoft, thinking about getting back into airsoft.
"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

Duker511

I have a 410 shotgun, and a .22 magnum skeleton guns. They both fold small enough to put in your back pocket, or a backpack pocket. I take one or the other(usually the 410) when I go camping and hiking. They are not the most accurate guns, but they are easy to carry and pack. The shotgun has about a 6 inch shot grouping at 20 yards so its easy to hit a target. If you can find them, they are not expensive, about $100-$150.
  :shotgun:                        :bow:
Tim

emind56

I have scaled down my firearms as of late.  Curently I only have a Springfiled XD45,  And a Ruger .22LR for plinking.  I love going out in the desert and shooting.   I'm hoping to pull an elk tag for one of the upcoming seasons.  I've never hunted any big game, but would love to for the trophy as well as the meat.

ljlemer

Where I grew up, the only shooting sports were IV drug use and armed robbery. You could shoot the rats for sport, but that was considered a crime also.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Wapster

I am a member of the Tucson Rifle Club, and the NRA.  I was raised hunting by a hunter.  I have a nice little arsenal.  We should hook up and kill some targets.

:shooter:
Kill 'em all! Let God sort 'em out!

Wapster

My arsenal:

Revolvers
1 Taurus .357 MAG
1 Ruger Blackhawk .357MAG
1 Taurus       .44MAG

Semi-auto pistols
1 Ruger P94   .40SW
1 Rock Island .45 Auto tactical 1911

Bolt Action Rifles
1 Marlin 22Long-Rifle
1 Winchester Model 70  270

Semi-auto rifles
1 Polish underfolder AK47
1 Yugoslavian SKS
1 Springfield M1A Loaded Standard
1 Ruger 10/22
1 Baretta CX4 Storm

Shotguns
1 very old noname unusable 20 guage single shot I grew up hunting with
1 winchester 1300 pump 12 guage

1 BB gun
3 Bows

I guess you could say I'm into shooting.

People hunt mountain lions and bobcats for sport and trophies.  I don't hunt for trophies, but for the hunt.  I hunt deer, javalina, quail, and dove.  I see a few mountain lions a year, but never when I am hunting.  I see quite a few bobcats, and black bears too.  I drive to the top of the Santa Rita mountains every day, and have since 1988, so I see lots of wildlife.    

:shooter:
Kill 'em all! Let God sort 'em out!

qman22

I have a Ruger P95 that I enjoy shooting at the range and have been thinking about adding a rifle to my arsenal.  something along the lines of a 30-06 or maybe a touch smaller.  Anybody have any suggestions?
Lets GOOOOOOOO Mountaineers!

Duker511

One of the funnest guns I have to shoot is my Marlin 30/30 lever action. Its small, pretty accurate, and the lever makes it fun to shoot. It has plenty of power and is easy to shoot. Its smaller than a 30-06 and easier to handle. They are inexpensive as well. :shotgun:
Tim

Wapst3r

OOPS I forgot the AR15 I recently built.  It is a M15A4 Armalite upper with various parts in the lower from DPMS and other places.

Rifle recommendation.  I would take a 270 over a 30-06 every day of the week.  It has better ballistics.  My dad has killed buffalo and moose with one, and kills elk and deer regularly with his.    That is calibre, now for brand.  

A Remington 700 is a fine rifle for hunting.  They closed the plant that makes model 70 Winchesters or I would recommend it for hunting. It depends on what you want it for.  

If it is for plinking, a 22 long rifle Ruger 10/22 is fun and reliable.  Also a 22 Long Rifle is very inexpensive to shoot.

If it is for protection, I have a pistol calibre carbine called a CX4 Storm by Beretta which uses the same .40SW ammo that my P94 uses. It also comes in a 9mm and 45ACP version.  The CX4 also looks real cool ;) www.cx4storm.com is a site to see it.  Buy it online.  It is much cheaper to order firearms online.  

For other kinds of fun there is the Marlin lever action 30-30.  It is a good brush gun, saddle gun, beer can gun.  Fun to shoot.  I shot my first javalina with one when I was 10.  

A inexpensive way to go also is an SKS.  It uses the same 7.62X39 ammo that is used in an AK47.  Mine is Yugoslavian, and only cost $179.00 - but you have to look around for a good price and condition.  Norinco made Chinese SKS rifles.  They are also good.  Millions were made in many places so I would stick with the Yugo or Norinco for reliability.

The best battle rifle ever made is the AK47.  A good one will cost a lot more than an SKS.  It is the most difficult to render unfireable.  They can be dragged through the mud, sand, and water, and will still operate.  I have one of these also.    Stay away from the Romy (Romanian) AK though.

For around $500 you can buy the parts and build a nice AR15.  It is the semi-auto version of the M16.  Visit www.ar15.com for sources of information and dealer recommendations.  They have great forums.

The Dem's may ban the purchase of many types again, so if I was leaning toward assault style firearms I would not drag my feet.  They are fun to shoot and get more and more valuable every day.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/ is a great place to look at, price,  buy firearms.  They will ship to the nearest dealer in your area with a FFL (license).  The dealer then does a record check call to the FBI, and turns the firearm over to you for a minimal fee.  Be sure to check what that fee is before deciding which dealer to have it shipped to.

:uzi:

Wapst3r

OOPS I forgot the AR15 I recently built.  It is a M15A4 Armalite upper with various parts in the lower from DPMS and other places.

Rifle recommendation.  I would take a 270 over a 30-06 every day of the week.  It has better ballistics.  My dad has killed buffalo and moose with one, and kills elk and deer regularly with his.    That is calibre, now for brand.  

A Remington 700 is a fine rifle for hunting.  They closed the plant that makes model 70 Winchesters or I would recommend it for hunting. It depends on what you want it for.  

If it is for plinking, a 22 long rifle Ruger 10/22 is fun and reliable.  Also a 22 Long Rifle is very inexpensive to shoot.

If it is for protection, I have a pistol calibre carbine called a CX4 Storm by Beretta which uses the same .40SW ammo that my P94 uses. It also comes in a 9mm and 45ACP version.  The CX4 also looks real cool ;) www.cx4storm.com is a site to see it.  Buy it online.  It is much cheaper to order firearms online.  

For other kinds of fun there is the Marlin lever action 30-30.  It is a good brush gun, saddle gun, beer can gun.  Fun to shoot.  I shot my first javalina with one when I was 10.  

A inexpensive way to go also is an SKS.  It uses the same 7.62X39 ammo that is used in an AK47.  Mine is Yugoslavian, and only cost $179.00 - but you have to look around for a good price and condition.  Norinco made Chinese SKS rifles.  They are also good.  Millions were made in many places so I would stick with the Yugo or Norinco for reliability.

The best battle rifle ever made is the AK47.  A good one will cost a lot more than an SKS.  It is the most difficult to render unfireable.  They can be dragged through the mud, sand, and water, and will still operate.  I have one of these also.    Stay away from the Romy (Romanian) AK though.

For around $500 you can buy the parts and build a nice AR15.  It is the semi-auto version of the M16.  Visit www.ar15.com for sources of information and dealer recommendations.  They have great forums.

The Dem's may ban the purchase of many types again, so if I was leaning toward assault style firearms I would not drag my feet.  They are fun to shoot and get more and more valuable every day.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/ is a great place to look at, price,  buy firearms.  They will ship to the nearest dealer in your area with a FFL (license).  The dealer then does a record check call to the FBI, and turns the firearm over to you for a minimal fee.  Be sure to check what that fee is before deciding which dealer to have it shipped to.

:uzi:

NewGuy

I drive to the top of the Santa Rita mountains every day, and have since 1988, so I see lots of wildlife.    

QUOTE]

I enjoyed Santa Rita Lodge at Madera Canyon and Mt. Lemmon(?) several years ago.

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

qman22

thanks for the tips wapst3r, I will look into a 270 caliber
Lets GOOOOOOOO Mountaineers!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.