Icey morning

Started by Duker511, 03/05/2008 06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duker511

You guys that live down south suck! I woke up this morning to 2 inches of solid ice on everything and 14 degrees. All the schools are closed, and driving is almost impossible. I should be in Florida right now, but my trip was postponed until April. I live near Buffalo so I am used to cold and snow, but this morning is unusual even for us. There are two trees down in my yard, and alot of branches in the road so I cant leave my house until I chainsaw my way off my dead end street. The one salvation is that even with the power going on and off I have enough cigars, and coffee to last the storm. :-) I think today may be a good time for one of my four Opus X.
Tim

kgoings

Yea it was chilly on my drive to work, I think around 49. But should be 80 by mid afternoon.

Bob Cordell

Hey Duker, I got two words for you...U-Haul!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Move from the tundra! Actually it was pretty chilly here in TN this morning. Were supposed to get some snow Friday night.

"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Duker511

I do love living here, the weather is just something to get used to.However if I am given the chance to relocate, I will go south.
Tim

kgoings

I miss living someplace where they actually have seasons. I currently reside in Arizona. But I am looking for a job in Denver Colo and Omaha Nebraska, just to move closer to family.

So if anyone is in the IT buis and needs a good Network Engineer in those places...hit me up!

mhuss

Quotekgoings - 3/5/2008  10:03 AM
So if anyone is in the IT buis and needs a good Network Engineer in those places...hit me up!

I used to be in IT, but got burned out after nine years.  I did more break-fix stuff than network stuff.  I now cringe every time someone starts explaining a computer problem to me.  I had to get out of the business.  And of all things, I now work at Lowe's!   :dancing:

Duker511

Quotemhuss - 3/5/2008  10:21

I used to be in IT, but got burned out after nine years.  I did more break-fix stuff than network stuff.  I now cringe every time someone starts explaining a computer problem to me.  I had to get out of the business.  And of all things, I now work at Lowe's!   :dancing:

After several years of using Home Depot on almost a daily basis for work, a Lowes just opened near me. There is no comparison, Lowes has a better selection, better prices, and more helpfull staff. Even though its about 15 miles out of the way, I make the trip.
Tim

mhuss

QuoteDuker511 - 3/5/2008  10:34 AM
After several years of using Home Depot on almost a daily basis for work, a Lowes just opened near me. There is no comparison, Lowes has a better selection, better prices, and more helpfull staff. Even though its about 15 miles out of the way, I make the trip.

I hear that a lot from customers.  Home Depot may do more sales and may be a larger corporation than us, but we do have nicer people and better looking stores.  And I think that's enough to get people to come to us instead of the other guys.  (I hope I didn't sound like I am too full of myself just then).

kgoings

Yea IT can get old. But I do enjoy configuring and designing network installs. Its kind of like a puzzle sometimes. I have been doing it for 12 years, my dream job would be a High School Math teacher and wrestling coach. But now that I have created a "lifestyle" for my family, I do not want to drastically change my profession now. Esp since it would have a huge impact on our lifestyle.

mhuss

Quotekgoings - 3/5/2008  10:46 AM
But now that I have created a "lifestyle" for my family, I do not want to drastically change my profession now. Esp since it would have a huge impact on our lifestyle.

I know what you mean.  I made considerably more money doing IT work than I do now, working at Lowe's.  I was kind of used to going to the ATM and getting money out pretty much whenever I wanted.  We could always go out and whatever we wanted, within reason, of course.  But now, I don't make nearly as much, so we really have to watch our cash.  But I was really unhappy working in IT, so I had to make a change.  And money isn't everything.  I'm a lot happier around home nowadays, and that's worth the difference in paychecks.

kgoings

Quotemhuss - 3/5/2008  9:50 AM
I know what you mean.  I made considerably more money doing IT work than I do now, working at Lowe's.  I was kind of used to going to the ATM and getting money out pretty much whenever I wanted.  We could always go out and whatever we wanted, within reason, of course.  But now, I don't make nearly as much, so we really have to watch our cash.  But I was really unhappy working in IT, so I had to make a change.  And money isn't everything.  I'm a lot happier around home nowadays, and that's worth the difference in paychecks.

This is true. There are times when I really hate my job. But my kids and family life make me happy, so I leave the work crap at work.

mhuss

Quotekgoings - 3/5/2008  10:55 AM
This is true. There are times when I really hate my job. But my kids and family life make me happy, so I leave the work crap at work.

I was pretty good with leaving work stuff at work, until I really started to hate it.  I left one job, thinking that a change in scenery would be the trick, but it got worse there.  I stuck with it until I literally couldn't take it any more.  I walked off the job one afternoon around lunchtime and never looked back.  I was out of work for about two months, until I finally just started putting out applications at places like Lowe's.  Thankfully, they called and wanted to give me a job.  It's a lot less money, but I love the people I work with and the work I do now.  So I basically traded money for a lot of happiness.  And to me, that's what counts.  Because everyone in my house was completely miserable with me working in IT.  So I did what I had to do.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.