Thompson Cigar???

Started by monteclaro, 06/15/2007 03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

QuoteHot Stuff x - 10/6/2009  3:38 AM

QuoteROTHNH - 10/6/2009 11:16 AM  Thompson, offering a box of CAO Criollo Conquistadors (6 1/8" X 52), in the 2002 "drawer" cedar boxes for $69 with free shipping. -- here's the link BTW: http://www.thompsoncigar.com/catalog/product.jsp?TLCode=33201&productId=73744&cm_mmc=Email-_-20091005-donrafael-33205-_-body-_-criollopage&cm_vc=10577[/QUOTE]

Like I said about not knowing what your getting...In the link you posted the item is listed (in the title) as Churchills, but Torpedos in the description at the bottom.  Which one is it, Thompson?

I noticed that too.  Also they have the same thing for sale elsewhere on the site for $99.  

This is something I've seen them do several times, and you'll also see it in the catalog.  They'll list the exact same item or sampler at 2 different prices, and the item number will only vary by the first or last letter/digit.   Very shady in my opinion.
_____

ROTHNH

Update:

My $69 box of CAO Criollos from Thompson arrived a few days ago.

They were the Conquistadors, as ordered.  

Not only were they packed in the original 2002 cedar box, as a pleasant surprise, they were also aged.

Yay for me LOL.

ljlemer

I've found a number of sites that post different prices in different parts of their catalog. One page will have something for sale, but if you look up the item, you'll get a different page with the regular price. That's not just Thompson.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

FNA

Ah, different prices maybe (though I haven't really noticed) but how about different construction?

Before I get to this month's glaring example, I reiterate what I said before and others have agreed with - like anything else, you have to watch for deals.

Last month TCC was selling 4-packs of AVO #2 cigars for $20.  Last I checked, 5-packs of this vitola sold everywhere for $33+.  $4 each vs. 6.60 to $7 - a genuine good price.

On to our featured story:  On page 43 of the TCC "Sept. II" they offer the "Don Lugo" line, "crafted from the finest of combination filler tobaccos."

By page 54, as part of multi-bundle deal, the Don Lugo has been upgraded to "long filler cigars"

I've smoked the Don Lugo torpedo which I though was a nice $1 cigar.  Wish I had one left to cut open.

FNA

Oh and I have been peeved by the TCC exclusive Perdomo "Artesanal" since it came out.

There is no such word as "artesanal" although it is a homonym for "artisanal".

consti

I must be lucky because my experience with Thompson cigar has been pleasant so far. I got the same deal ROTHNH got and I got it in great shape. Shipping was timely and everything went without a hitch.  I would definitely consider buying from them again.
-Justin

rhg12345

I got bundle of Don Lugos in a humi combo I ordered from them.  Some of the sticks were kind of good (not real good), but some were absolutely unsmokable...too harsh.  Because of this I gave half of the bundle to a buddy who has been smoking cigars for over 20 years and he had exactly the same experience.  We ended up nicknaming them Don Luggies.  I submitted a 1 star review with explanation and Thompson did not post it.

On the other hand I love one of their Victor Sinclair torpedo samplers (mild cigars).

gitfiddl

Quoterhg12345 - 11/6/2009  7:31 PM

I got bundle of Don Lugos in a humi combo I ordered from them.  Some of the sticks were kind of good (not real good), but some were absolutely unsmokable...too harsh.  Because of this I gave half of the bundle to a buddy who has been smoking cigars for over 20 years and he had exactly the same experience.  We ended up nicknaming them Don Luggies.  I submitted a 1 star review with explanation and Thompson did not post it.

On the other hand I love one of their Victor Sinclair torpedo samplers (mild cigars).

Funny, the Don Lugo is probably my favorite Thompson cigar.  I've never bought a bundle, but I've purchased a couple or three humi combos (they used to be $29.99) that had Don Lugos in them.  I daresay the Don Lugos were more consistent and as good or better a smoke than most Victor Sinclairs I've had.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

ljlemer

I got some Don Lugo Robustos in a mixed Thompson deal 3 years ago when I was just back to smoking after 24 long years and didn't like them or any other samples included. Then I smoked a Don Lugo Churchill a week or two ago and liked it. Based solely on flavor, it was a lot better than some premiums. It's a short-filler, so you have to smoke it gently and can't do some of the things you come to take for granted with a long-filler, like clipping the end with no caution, chewing on it without fear of discharging chopped leaves and stems into your mouth, etc. However the chopped tobacco farm refuse tastes good. Now I hear that one can taste good and another suck. Oh, well. It's not like I planned on buying some.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.